GDT: REDBLACKS (!!!) @ Bombers

Nolby

This loss is mostly but not solely on O'Shea. All of the Bomber chickens came home to roost- no long game, little pressure by the D-line, absent linebackers, d-backs playing way off receivers but Nichols absolutely should have been pulled no later than half-time. I am royally pissed at our head coach. His poor judgement has cost us another game.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

This loss is mostly but not solely on O'Shea. All of the Bomber chickens came home to roost- no long game, little pressure by the D-line, absent linebackers, d-backs playing way off receivers but Nichols absolutely should have been pulled no later than half-time. I am royally pissed at our head coach. His poor judgement has cost us another game.

Yeah it was O'shea out there throwing picks and going 2 and out. Seriously.  Give your shtick a rest. WE get it. Everytime they lose its O'shea fault.  

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah it was O'shea out there throwing picks and going 2 and out. Seriously.  Give your shtick a rest. WE get it. Everytime they lose its O'shea fault.  

To be fair, Goalie, when we win, several posters were suggesting that it was because of MOS and were clamouring for him to be extended. Can't have it both ways. If he's responsible for the wins, he is equally responsible for the losses.

It wasn't just Nichols and the picks. This team was not prepared to play today and that was evident from the start. That's on O'Shea and is a common theme with the Bombers, win or lose, since O'Shea has been here -- they don't start well and they seldom play a 60 minute football game. 

Getting back to Nichols, it is also on O'Shea for not pulling him and maybe getting a spark going with Davis or Glenn. 

The failed gambles on third down were also O'Shea's decisions.

As were the failed challenges.

As were the roster choices.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

Completely agree. This was the biggest game for the Bombers in the past 5 years and to not even show up is inexcusable. Wade won't be too happy to lose out on a home playoff game in this fashion, nor should he be. Mike just pissed away $1.5M in potential revenue of Wades because he couldn't get his team ready to play with 2 weeks of preparation. Pretty much the kiss of death for any coach let alone one with such a lopsided won/loss record like Mikes.

5 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Completely agree. This was the biggest game for the Bombers in the past 5 years and to not even show up is inexcusable. Wade won't be too happy to lose out on a home playoff game in this fashion, nor should he be. Mike just pissed away $1.5M in potential revenue of Wades because he couldn't get his team ready to play with 2 weeks of preparation. Pretty much the kiss of death for any coach let alone one with such a lopsided won/loss record like Mikes.

Ouch! This is the deal with MOS. He should have mentored under a really good head coach and learned how to properly prepare a team to play 60 minutes a game, game in and game out. Despite all the other good things he does this is one of the things he seems to struggle with. 

We may well have lost even with Davis or Glenn, but it was evident to everyone a shred of awareness by the end of the first quarter that Nichols was off today. I cannot fathom the thinking of O'Shea in leaving Nichols in for so long. This lack of flexibility was so evident in O'Shea's guidance for the past two years and into this one. Enough.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I agree that while Mos is partially responsible for this debacle specifically not pulling Nicols at all but the players failed to execute and that is in them whereas Ottawa came to play. However, they have played in big games before this edition of the Bombers has not. Let's see what happens next week and in the playoffs before giving Mos his walking papers. 

thanks for the help fellows. My tsngo won't work as my internet is on vacation mode and apparently this shuts down tsngo. By the time I was able to get streaming thanks to throw long banatyne I had lost interest. But will use it next week and hopefully it will be a different game. We need an explosive offense not some rinkie dink one. It hasn't served us well all year, our saving grace was the defense and turnovers. Time will tell. Thanks again for the help

Well to recall an old saying from back in the day....'that was a bummer'...It looked like we laid down and no team that has aspirations of better days...lays down....We looked like we were not ready for this game and that's a bloody shame and a sham to put before the Bomber faithful who want desperately to win at home....Having said that I hope we kick Ottawa's arse next week and finish where we should, in second place not a lay, down back door job..(still possible to finish as the crossover at this point) entry into the playoffs...Just a bloody horrific game and I hope we've put this one behind us...Time for a few more beers.

37 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Well to recall an old saying from back in the day....'that was a bummer'...It looked like we laid down and no team that has aspirations of better days...lays down....We looked like we were not ready for this game and that's a bloody shame and a sham to put before the Bomber faithful who want desperately to win at home....Having said that I hope we kick Ottawa's arse next week and finish where we should, in second place not a lay, down back door job..(still possible to finish as the crossover at this point) entry into the playoffs...Just a bloody horrific game and I hope we've put this one behind us...Time for a few more beers.

A golden opportunity to determine their own fate lays in tatters at their feet.  They'll now have to take what they get and make the best of it.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Let me say that the Bombers were certainly not sharp, and it all started early.

Nichols. He has to play at a certain level. Yesterday, he did not. 
The turning point, in the game, came early. The 1st int. took away points for the Bombers and presented the RedBlacks with an offensive opportunity...which they quickly took advantage of.
Nichols explained what happened on that fateful play, saying it was a 5-step dropback..to allow the play to develop. He took 3 steps back and threw. That's why Denmark wasn't ready and in position.
Immediately, that was at least an 11 point turnaround. 
Not impossible to overcome, but not the way the offence was directed. And penalties.
Once again, at the wrong time, penalties helped stall our offence. On the second series, needing only 2 yards for a 1st - holding on Normand, and we did not get the 2nd and 12 - punt.
That's when Ottawa struck again. 
We moved the ball well in the first series. We would have scored. 
Just when we were going to move the ball well again - penalty, and no conversion.
An offside penalty helped stall another early possession.
Our offence was out of sync, and Nichols was not sharp. Bad combination.
Plays that worked before..didn't work this time.
We allowed 3 sacks. We only got 2.
We were outplayed.
It happens.
The defence? Meh, Ottawa has the highest scoring offence in the league. They average over 26 points per game. We allowed 23. Meh.
Special teams was a wash.
There is no doubt that the person we've anointed as our starter, Matt Nichols, has to be sharper. 
We will not win unless he is.

Take away the first two possessions when Ottawa marched up the field and scored effortlessly, it looks like the Bomber defence did not play badly. However, good defences stop the opposition when it counts and the Bomber D just didn't do that consistently. I am not at all sure Richie Hall is the right fit for this team.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

Take away the first two possessions when Ottawa marched up the field and scored effortlessly, it looks like the Bomber defence did not play badly. However, good defences stop the opposition when it counts and the Bomber D just didn't do that consistently. I am not at all sure Richie Hall is the right fit for this team.

Hall has had the same thing happen most of his time here. Start poor and adjust. I just expect it.

15 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

I agree that while Mos is partially responsible for this debacle specifically not pulling Nicols at all but the players failed to execute and that is in them whereas Ottawa came to play. However, they have played in big games before this edition of the Bombers has not. Let's see what happens next week and in the playoffs before giving Mos his walking papers. 

I lost track, whether it was 2 or 3 unsuccessful 3rd down gambles yesterday but this is a play that they have had great success with this season and yesterday they did everything in the book to screw it up.  Poor play-calling combined with poor execution was the M.O. of the day.

50 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I lost track, whether it was 2 or 3 unsuccessful 3rd down gambles yesterday but this is a play that they have had great success with this season and yesterday they did everything in the book to screw it up.  Poor play-calling combined with poor execution was the M.O. of the day.

I'd say it was more poor execution than poor play calling. On the direct snap on the fake punt I really thought they got jobbed on the spot of the ball, but even so the player stumbled when he got the ball anyway so that's on execution. The ints weren't poor play calls, they were poor decisions by Nichols so that's a player problem. 

Really that game was plain and simple poor plays by the players on the field. 

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I'd say it was more poor execution than poor play calling. On the direct snap on the fake punt I really thought they got jobbed on the spot of the ball, but even so the player stumbled when he got the ball anyway so that's on execution. The ints weren't poor play calls, they were poor decisions by Nichols so that's a player problem. 

Really that game was plain and simple poor plays by the players on the field. 

I agree, kinda the same thing I was saying to my friends... it was just poor effort and poor execution all game long...