Trouba wants out (Trouba has signed)

FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes sorry, I meant to include the link. 

Not a problem.

This is the part I'm not as sold on...

So what happens next? If everything is as it’s been presented this tactic by Overhardt was about money., about getting more for his client. Overhardt probably wanted to take a bridge deal so that after Trouba could go to arbitration and then become a UFA after but the Jets, as allowed by the CBA have wanted to prevent that. Overhardt demands more money and the Jets won’t pay because it’s not in alignment with the market. Overhardt could have solicited an offer sheet too but again, no team wanted to pony up the cost or had the assets, or wanted to risk a similar attack.

This isn't about money it's about getting #8 out of Winnipeg. Pete concludes by predicting a long term deal. Hell, I'm all for that and would love to don my Trouba sweater again, he's one of my favourite Jets.  I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong!  I think it's a bridge or a deal with another team (or 2). 

I think the speculation is that perhaps Trouba doesnt care as much as other people do, namely his parents, especially dad who is trying to create some sort of Trouba Brand with which to make money (and maybe pay for lawyers to avoid jail over some other issues).  So he has a hardass agent who says "Come on, what can the Jets do?  let their best D man sit all season??  Stick with me kid, Ill have you in your choice of city in no time".

With the idea of "what if" comes up, as in what if we sit all year, the people advising him are saying "so what" because they see the dollar signs of "The Brand" down the road and dont care about a few bucks this year.  But more importantly they think Winnipeg is a small market city that would never dream of losing an asset. 

Thats why this agent went on H&L and tried to blame the Jets.  It was PR.  And why he didnt let Trouba do it because Trouba probably isnt as hardass about leaving.

So if its true Trouba is getting nervous and thinks he might miss an entire year...and other RFA's signed in their cities, its entirely believable that he just wants to play hockey.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the speculation is that perhaps Trouba doesnt care as much as other people do, namely his parents, especially dad who is trying to create some sort of Trouba Brand with which to make money (and maybe pay for lawyers to avoid jail over some other issues).  So he has a hardass agent who says "Come on, what can the Jets do?  let their best D man sit all season??  Stick with me kid, Ill have you in your choice of city in no time".

With the idea of "what if" comes up, as in what if we sit all year, the people advising him are saying "so what" because they see the dollar signs of "The Brand" down the road and dont care about a few bucks this year.  But more importantly they think Winnipeg is a small market city that would never dream of losing an asset. 

Thats why this agent went on H&L and tried to blame the Jets.  It was PR.  And why he didnt let Trouba do it because Trouba probably isnt as hardass about leaving.

So if its true Trouba is getting nervous and thinks he might miss an entire year...and other RFA's signed in their cities, its entirely believable that he just wants to play hockey.

I don't disagree with this assessment. But if this is what he's thinking...maaaaan I don't know if he's going to be happy. 

Their side has drawn a line in the sand, and these differences aren't easily reconciled.  Say Trouba signs for 6 years at a favorable dollar hit.  Really, the only thing it changes is that  we're immensely better here and now.  Long term, he's still a huge question mark when you factor in how committed he'll be, I wonder what it would do to the guys who are in that room right now. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

This isn't about money because Trouba's camp won't even listen to an offer.

I'm not even certain they would listen of the Jets promised him a spot on the right. Of course Trouba's camp would never admit to that.

Its up to the player in the end.  By many accounts, the agent has been working on trade proposals for months to no avail.  Lindholm was his last chance to get a huge comparable.  What he's going to get paid is more or less decided.  Term is pretty much decided by comparables too.  All that is left to be decided is if Trouba is playing for Winnipeg or sitting out the year and playing for Winnipeg next season.  Seems like an easy choice at this point.

31 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its up to the player in the end.  By many accounts, the agent has been working on trade proposals for months to no avail.  Lindholm was his last chance to get a huge comparable.  What he's going to get paid is more or less decided.  Term is pretty much decided by comparables too.  All that is left to be decided is if Trouba is playing for Winnipeg or sitting out the year and playing for Winnipeg next season.  Seems like an easy choice at this point.

Therein lies the problem. Overhardt somehow thinks he's doing his client a solid by soliciting trade proposals from other GMs.  Sorry, Kurt. That's not your job and it shows.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What is the non-BS version of what he's trying to say?

"It's status quo. We thought the Jets would budge, but apparently Chevy isn't a complete pushover. The document we put out, rife with garbage as it may be, is still the best thing we've got. Does anyone know any stud left handed shooting 24 and under defenseman? If so email koverhardt@gmail.com" 

Not negotiating doesn't mean they aren't accepting contract offers from the Jets.  It just means they have a number they want and jets haven't offered it yet. Based on Lindholm I'd offer Trouba 5 million a year over 6. Nothing more.  I'd even be reluctant to give him 5. 

Overhardt word is not gospel. .. it's closer to BS probably 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Not negotiating doesn't mean they aren't accepting contract offers from the Jets.  It just means they have a number they want and jets haven't offered it yet. Based on Lindholm I'd offer Trouba 5 million a year over 6. Nothing more.  I'd even be reluctant to give him 5. 

Overhardt word is not gospel. .. it's closer to BS probably 

There was a heavy implication that the Jets weren't even permitted to make an offer.  That might changed now...who knows.  Unless someone blows the Jets' socks off, Trouba is going to have to listen to a Jets offer pretty soon.

Dreger saying the jets made a 6 years 5.5 million per offer. Apparently trouba camp doesn't see a fit in canada Tho. 

Honestly they need to trade him or let him rot. Those are the 2 options. 

Overhardt word isn't the truth. 

It sounds like the truth is he wants out of not only winnipeg but Canada in general. If that's the truth... the little entitled boy needs to rot for a while. 

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Dreger saying the jets made a 6 years 5.5 million per offer. Apparently trouba camp doesn't see a fit in canada Tho. 

That's not what Dreger said. He said that the Jets are still prepared to offer a 6 year $33M deal. 

The Jets have not made an offer because the Trouba camp won't accept one. 

47 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's not what Dreger said. He said that the Jets are still prepared to offer a 6 year $33M deal. 

The Jets have not made an offer because the Trouba camp won't accept one. 

Well... pardon my french but **** trouba then.  Let him rot. 

Lawless flat out asked the agent if the Jets were permitted to make an offer, agent danced around it, Lawless pressed him, agent danced and Lawless said okay so Jets werent permitted to make an offer...silence. And Dreger's words were interesting as noted above, that he said Jets were prepared to offer.  If I didnt know Chevy better, I'd say they leaked that to Dreger so Trouba would hear it.  $30+ million is generational money.  Sure, maybe your dad doesnt get to market a Trouba App.  But this isnt your dad's career.

Lawless also made it known that Trouba's girlfriend wants to go to med school in the US.  Hustler sort of challenged that and Lawless flat out said "its a consideration".  I imagine a young American girl who isnt a hockey player is not loving the idea of a medical career in Winnipeg

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Lawless said she can't attend a medical school in Canada not doesn't want to.

Lawless was only half right.  Its much harder for her to get into a school here as an American. She might not get in. 

But, still, imagine you're her.  You might not see the U of M med school in the same light as schools in the US.  PLUS, doing your residency here?  Opening a practice here?  That's probably not her dream.  I can imagine conversations between them centering around "but you can play hockey anywhere..."

Who knows what carries the most weight to them though.  If he signs for six years, then he's looking at Free Agency at a time when his girlfriend might be in a place where she's looking to advance her career.  It might work out.  Or $30+ million might make her feel a little better about Winnipeg.

56 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Lawless was only half right.  Its much harder for her to get into a school here as an American. She might not get in. 

But, still, imagine you're her.  You might not see the U of M med school in the same light as schools in the US.  PLUS, doing your residency here?  Opening a practice here?  That's probably not her dream.  I can imagine conversations between them centering around "but you can play hockey anywhere..."

Who knows what carries the most weight to them though.  If he signs for six years, then he's looking at Free Agency at a time when his girlfriend might be in a place where she's looking to advance her career.  It might work out.  Or $30+ million might make her feel a little better about Winnipeg.

Slow down... Med school is still 4 years and, depending on her area of practice, that's another 4++ years for residency. 9 years before this becomes an issue (assuming she starts med school next year).

Though, just because Trouba makes $5+M per year, that does not mean she does. We don't know what she wants to do or where she can go to school.

pffffft. another excuse leaked by his camp....are they sure they will be together in 6 years?????? 4 years?????? 2 years??????

I call BS to the nth degree.

Lindholm's signing is advantageous to the Jets...5.25 over 6 is a steal. Hell, Risto's agent should get a raise. Trouba isn't worth more than 5m in the league's current market. Chevy should tell him 30m over 6 or you can sit until I find a trade the management is happy with. If that happens to be after Dec. 1, so be it.

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

pffffft. another excuse leaked by his camp....are they sure they will be together in 6 years?????? 4 years?????? 2 years??????

I call BS to the nth degree.

Lindholm's signing is advantageous to the Jets...5.25 over 6 is a steal. Hell, Risto's agent should get a raise. Trouba isn't worth more than 5m in the league's current market. Chevy should tell him 30m over 6 or you can sit until I find a trade the management is happy with. If that happens to be after Dec. 1, so be it.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the gf "excuse" came from. Seems convenient. But, we don't know.

I'm not sure that having to live in Columbus is worth the premium that CBJ is paying Risto over Lindholm. Similar taxes, I think. But, for a lot of people, LA/Anaheim would be a better place to live.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where the gf "excuse" came from. Seems convenient. But, we don't know.

I'm not sure that having to live in Columbus is worth the premium that CBJ is paying Risto over Lindholm. Similar taxes, I think. But, for a lot of people, LA/Anaheim would be a better place to live.

I  meant Risto from the Sabres.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Lawless said she can't attend a medical school in Canada not doesn't want to.

Lawless was only half right.  Its much harder for her to get into a school here as an American. She might not get in

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it difficult for an American to attend a Canadian med school?

5 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Lawless was only half right.  Its much harder for her to get into a school here as an American. She might not get in

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it difficult for an American to attend a Canadian med school?

Most of the enrolment for Canadian Universities is reserved for Canadians.  Limited number of spots for international students.