So Kent Austin can win with a second stringer....

bb1

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

With Masoli in Edm but we can't win at home no matter who we put in? And coaching has nothing to do with it huh? Anyone here not willing to trade MOS for Austin? Anyone? 

Our teams "recipe" for being terrible isn't just one ingredient. We have a bad coach, a bad GM, and a bad QB (in this league that's a kiss of death). Look, talent is missing elsewhere but those 3 positions can't all suck. If they do, you're going to need incredible luck elsewhere.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yeah cus they have soo many more wins then we do :rolleyes:

They're still missing Zach Collaros.  What exactly did you expect?  Hamilton was likely the best team in the country last year until Collaros got hurt.  

As for suggesting Austin isn't that great a coach, which is what you're doing, that just isn't borne out by the facts.  The guy has been a CFL Head Coach for 4 years (2007, 2013, 2014 and 2015) and he's taken his team to 3 Grey Cups, winning one of them.  If Collaros hadn't got hurt, he probably would have been in the Grey Cup game all four years he has been a CFL HC.   The guy is the best coach in the league, and his record proves it.

Edited by gcdrought

53 minutes ago, gcdrought said:

They're still missing Zach Collaros.  What exactly did you expect?  Hamilton was likely the best team in the country last year until Collaros got hurt.  

As for suggesting Austin isn't that great a coach, which is what you're doing, that's probably the dumbest comment I've read on the website.  The guy has been a CFL Head Coach for 4 years (2007, 2013, 2014 and 2015) and he's taken his team to 3 Grey Cups, winning one of them.  If Collaros hadn't got hurt, he probably would have been in the Grey Cup game all four years he has been a CFL HC.   The guy is the best coach in the league, and his record proves it.

Excuse me, but Wally "I don't need no stinkin' headset" Buono stands alone at center field.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Austin is a good coach but at the same time he's yet to develop a QB on his own. You take Collaros away and they are just an average team 

If the worst thing you can say about Austin is that if he loses his starting QB he still can field an average team, wow, sign me up

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Austin is a good coach but at the same time he's yet to develop a QB on his own. You take Collaros away and they are just an average team 

Austin is simply a great coach. Took an up and coming talent like Collaros and made him better. Clearly made a plummer like Masoli better. 

What a team can do with better minds on the sidelines than their opponents was on full display in HAM's adjustments and comeback in the second half.

Edited by Zontar

13 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Austin is simply a great coach. Took an up and coming talent like Collaros and made him better. Clearly made a plummer like Masoli better. 

What a team can do with better minds on the sidelines than their opponents was on full display in HAM's adjustments and comeback in the second half.

I fully agree with the last sentence. The Bombers are one of the few teams in the CFL who don't have a former qb as either their HC or OC. This team has been hamstrung for years because of below average quarterbacking in terms of talent assessment as well as adjusting the game plan to get the most of whoever's playing qb that game. It has to make a difference to your in game adjustments when a person who's calling the shots has some experience with the most important positon on the field. 

Edited by BattleLevel
I can't spell

5 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Agree.  He was cruising to his 4th Grey Cup in as many years as a CFL Head Coach (pretty amazing) until Collaros was hurt.  He's an excellent Head Coach and as you say he can especially develop QB's or make good ones better.  Man there are so many good HC's in the league and we have Mike O'Shea.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, gcdrought said:

Agree.  He was cruising to his 4th Grey Cup in as many years as a CFL Head Coach (pretty amazing) until Collaros was hurt.  He's an excellent Head Coach and as you say he can especially develop QB's or make good ones better.  Man there are so many good HC's in the league and we have Mike O'Shea.  Sigh.

Yep we have to stop this hiring of mediocre at best  talent that's leads this team. When we start over again we need to spend to get the best we can.Just like Hamilton did with Austin and Calgary with Huffer. Hope you notice I said when not if cause this regime has proven beyond a doubt that they are not capable. I like both GM and coach but the proof is there staring us in the face unfortunately again.

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Our BOD's have never shown they're capable or willing to go after proven experience when it comes to hiring a Prez. We get what we pay for.

Unfortunately you are right but maybe with the money we made last year we can finally hire a proven winner to lead this team. Hell we are due.....we gotta get lucky sometimes no?

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Unfortunately you are right but maybe with the money we made last year we can finally hire a proven winner to lead this team. Hell we are due.....we gotta get lucky sometimes no?

Unlike Sask, we can't even identify who we want them to steal!  Barker and Milanovich?  Wally and Wally?

12 hours ago, gcdrought said:

As for suggesting Austin isn't that great a coach, which is what you're doing, that just isn't borne out by the facts.  The guy has been a CFL Head Coach for 4 years (2007, 2013, 2014 and 2015) and he's taken his team to 3 Grey Cups, winning one of them.  If Collaros hadn't got hurt, he probably would have been in the Grey Cup game all four years he has been a CFL HC.   The guy is the best coach in the league, and his record proves it.

hahahaha... I love this... "I'm gonna tell you what you're arguing... then make a counter point to 'prove' you wrong"

56 minutes ago, bearpants said:

hahahaha... I love this... "I'm gonna tell you what you're arguing... then make a counter point to 'prove' you wrong"

Nice try bear, but it falls short.  The topic is about 'Kent Austin winning with a second-stringer'.  And a comment is made 'yea cuz they (Hamilton) have soo many more wins than we do'.  The comment can't be interpreted any other way than 'so what, they have the same number of wins as we do'.  So no, I'm not telling anyone "what they're arguing".  I'm responding to a comment than minimizes Austin's efforts - which is fine.  I just think some context should be given to the Hamilton record, i.e. one of the best QB's in the CFL remains on the sidelines.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yeah cus they have soo many more wins then we do :rolleyes:

Strange comment since Hammy is 3-2 and we are 1 -4 and Hammy just won their last game with a massive comeback in Edm but hey your happy being 1-4 I guess?