Herb Zurkowsky: CFLPA President Scott Flory May Be In Trouble With Rank & File Due To His Lack Of Action Over Mandatory Drug Testing

iso_55

In a series of 3 tweets this afternoon, which now looks like they have been removed by Herb, he said that CFLPA President Scott Flory is facing growing opposition from players over his unwillingness to make a deal with the CFL over mandatory drug testing.  Flory has been against such a measure all along & now his leadership has been challenged by Bombers Jeff Keeping over his stance. 

In his tweets, Zurkowsky quoted an Als player, I believe it was Marc Olivier Brouilette saying that most  veterans around the league want a deal done asap as they feel it is a matter of player safety. Now, it looks like Keeping will be running for CFLPA President opposing Flory mostly because of a lack of progress over this issue. Brouilette was quoted as saying that he can always tell when a teammate is juicing as all he needs to do is look at their eyes. Like I said, I read those tweets here a couple of hours ago on the sidebar but they have since been removed. Never thought I'd see the day where active players want to see PEDS out of the game. Nice to see the players themselves come out in a positive manner to try to address the issue against Flory who may be stonewalling.

Edited by iso_55

I just wonder why the tweets were taken down? Could it be the fact that Flory didn't like it & Zurkowsky is the beat writer for the Als? Brouilette is a new player rep on the Als & while he wasn't disrespectful of his teammate he didn't endorse his presidency either.

15 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I just wonder why the tweets were taken down? Could it be the fact that Flory didn't like it & Zurkowsky is the beat writer for the Als? Brouilette is a new player rep on the Als & while he wasn't disrespectful of his teammate he didn't endorse his presidency either.

Zurkowsky is a bit of a tool.  He writes whatever Jim Popp tells him to write.  I imagine Popp probably said something to him.

Just wondering if that was mentioned by Lawless in his tweet. No idea why Flory would oppose any progressive drug policy when just about all other pro sports league have them. The CFL has to have a drug policy with teeth. It's a huge black eye to the league not having it.

Edited by iso_55

On 3/31/2016 at 11:21 PM, iso_55 said:

Just wondering if that was mentioned by Lawless in his tweet. No idea why Flory would oppose any progressive drug policy when just about all other pro sports league have them. The CFL has to have a drug policy with teeth. It's a huge black eye to the league not having it.

One can guess why he might oppose it.

Pot shouldn't be included in a drug testing program or if it is, it shouldnt result in disciplinary action.

28 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Not so sure about that.  In my experience pot can be dangerous.  Tried smoking it once, burnt my lips on the handle.

lol. what were u smoking with that involved a handle (and one that got hot) 

While I dont think pot is as dangerous, I wouldnt like to see stoned players on the field. It definitely slows your reaction time while high (maybe even a little while freshly burnt out),  but what players do on their own time is up to them as long as it doesnt interfere with their play on the field.  Drug testing imo should be going after people who use enhancing drugs to give them an edge vs people who dont.  there's a difference between recreational drugs, and cheating.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

18 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Drug tests are invasions of privacy which cannot be constitutionally ignored.

18 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Drug tests are invasions of privacy which cannot be constitutionally ignored.

Why don't the NHLPA or the MLBPA mount a constitutional challenge then?

12 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Why don't the NHLPA or the MLBPA mount a constitutional challenge then?

Because they are agreed to in the negotiated CBA.  And the players agree to it in every contract they sign. There is no constitutional issue here.

While it is true you can't force just anyone off the street to a drug test, athletes in sports that have mandatory drug testing have a choice.  They can either not play the sport if they don't want to undergo mandatory testing or they can play the sport and abide by the rules that are agreed to in the CBA and the contract they willingly signed.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.  

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Because they are agreed to in the negotiated CBA.  And the players agree to it in every contract they sign. There is no constitutional issue here.

While it is true you can't force just anyone off the street to a drug test, athletes in sports that have mandatory drug testing have a choice.  They can either not play the sport if they don't want to undergo mandatory testing or they can play the sport and abide by the rules that are agreed to in the CBA.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.  

Thank you, Rich. You were thinking along the same lines I was.  The CBA of any league mandates it once the players agree. I asked the question more to see what pigseye's answer might be.

You have to have consent, the players associations gave consent in those leagues iso. Without the players consent there can be no testing. If the majority of the players say no, there is nothing the league can do. The only exception is for dangerous occupations that can cause harm to the public.

6 hours ago, pigseye said:

You have to have consent, the players associations gave consent in those leagues iso. Without the players consent there can be no testing. If the majority of the players say no, there is nothing the league can do. The only exception is for dangerous occupations that can cause harm to the public.

Well  seems to me that if the players agree to testing in their CBA & then players refuse to do it that would mean that the CBA is null & void then players can be locked out. You think the BOG's wouldn't then negotiate the salary cap down? Slippery slope to balk, if you ask me.

13 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol. what were u smoking with that involved a handle (and one that got hot) 

While I dont think pot is as dangerous, I wouldnt like to see stoned players on the field. It definitely slows your reaction time while high (maybe even a little while freshly burnt out),  but what players do on their own time is up to them as long as it doesnt interfere with their play on the field.  Drug testing imo should be going after people who use enhancing drugs to give them an edge vs people who dont.  there's a difference between recreational drugs, and cheating.

Marijuana is not considered a performance enhancing drug. I'd actually argue it harms performance. Marijuana's effects also last much longer than most drugs and it doesn't clear a person's system for approximately 30 days for a chronic smoker. It's pretty easy for a pot smoker to get caught in a drug test.

Cocaine is the performance enhancing drug because of it's ability to increase one's focus. If it wasn't so addictive and prone to abuse, it'd make a fine ADD medication. Cocaine however, clears the system in about 2 to 3 days. This makes it harder to catch a user, especially if they have advance notice of an upcoming test.