Meteor Hit Atlantic Ocean with force of an Atomic Bomb

Taynted_Fayth

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fireball-atlantic-atomic-1.3461706

The largest fireball to streak through the Earth's atmosphere since the Chelyabinsk meteor in 2013 was detected over the Southern Atlantic Ocean on Feb. 6, NASA reports.

The recent meteor was detected about 31 kilometres over the South Atlantic, more than 1,000 kilometres off the coast of southern Brazil, NASA reported on its Fireball and Bolide Reports website.

It was travelling at more than 14 kilometres per second, and its energy on impact was equivalent to about 13,000 tonnes of TNT, NASA said. That's slightly less energy than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during the Second World War. The Hiroshima device exploded with an energy equivalent to 15,000 tonnes of TNT.

Ron Baalke, a scientist with the Near Earth Object program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, tweeted that the meteor was the largest fireball detected since Chelyabinsk — a meteor that injured more than 1,100 people and caused more than $30 million damage when it exploded over Russia on Feb. 15, 2013.

could you imagine the histeria if that hit land? is there ever a way to protect us from such a thing?  It's weird too i was outside last night having a smoke and i was thinking about attacks or just natural disasters from above while looking at the full moon and wondering about what, if anything we have in place to ever protect us

Im surprised they arent better at detecting these things.  Is it because they are relatively "small" compared to most space faring objects?  If that had hit Manhattan or Paris or somewhere like that....yikes.

Although then we'd probably get some REAL investment in space exploration and development as opposed to diverting all resources to a close-minded military endeavor. 

5 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

could you imagine the histeria if that hit land? is there ever a way to protect us from such a thing?

Yes. We must declare war on the Arachnids and travel to Klendathu where the only good bug is a dead bug!

Would you like to know more?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

while starship troopers was a POS franchise, I do think one day this will become a serious issue, maybe not in our life times but who's to say whats out there.  distance between winnipeg and calgary is like 1300kms,  this meteor hit around that mark off the coast of brazil, if that hits land that would cause a lot of destruction.  14 kms per second doesnt sound like much but it's equivalent to 840km/minute or 50400kms/h  kaboom

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

while starship troopers was a POS franchise, I do think one day this will become a serious issue, maybe not in our life times but who's to say whats out there.  distance between winnipeg and calgary is like 1300kms,  this meteor hit around that mark off the coast of brazil, if that hits land that would cause a lot of destruction.  14 kms per second doesnt sound like much but it's equivalent to 840km/minute or 50400kms/h  kaboom

The first Starship Troopers was awesome.  I remember seeing in the theater on a first date with a gorgeous girl named Vanessa.  I didnt get the satirical nature and thought it was goofy.  She did too.  Years later I saw it again and LOVED it.  Hilarious. 

I always wondered what happened to Vanessa.  Weird that someone falls off the earth with no Facebook or anything.  Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

They estimate that urban centres take up only 2.7% of the land (excluding oceans and Antarctica).

Chances of something like this hitting where it matters is pretty low.

We witnessed a meteor shower this past summer spanning several days that luckily missed earth,  but if it had been in line to hit the planet, while most would burn up upon entry i think a few could make it through.  imagine several A-bombs going off in succession 

lol its funny, i was thinking of a sort of belt of weaponized satellites that would be able to obliterate oncoming meteors or asteroids but that would probably cause even more mass panic in fear terrorists or some wonky super villain hijacks one or more and uses them on earth.  I guess once we achieve world peace, then we can concentrate on space defense 

FYI

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/02/20/fireball_over_atlantic_ocean_on_february_6_2016.html

"OK, so first, off: Don’t panic! As impacts go, this was pretty small.* After all, you didn’t even hear about until weeks after it occurred. Events this size aren’t too big a concern. Had it happened over a populated area it, would’ve rattled some windows and probably terrified a lot of people, but I don’t think it would’ve done any real damage."

I dont think anyones panicking lol but that russia meteor apparently hit a factory in an urban area and did some pretty decent dmg hurting quite a bit of people, this meteor was supposed to have been similar or biggest since.  It got me thinking to that meteor shower you could see with your naked eye in the summer, that went on for 4 or 5 nights, that must be a lot meteors, and hypothetically speaking,  if it was on course with earth, what if several touched down.  what happens if and when something bigger comes hurling our way.  would it be foolish to try and set up a defense plan just in case?

makes me think of the old "better to have a gun and not need it,  then to need a gun and not have one"

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol its funny, i was thinking of a sort of belt of weaponized satellites that would be able to obliterate oncoming meteors or asteroids but that would probably cause even more mass panic in fear terrorists or some wonky super villain hijacks one or more and uses them on earth.  I guess once we achieve world peace, then we can concentrate on space defense 

Spoken like a true member of the Empire.

19 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The first Starship Troopers was awesome.  I remember seeing in the theater on a first date with a gorgeous girl named Vanessa.  I didnt get the satirical nature and thought it was goofy.  She did too.  Years later I saw it again and LOVED it.  Hilarious. 

I always wondered what happened to Vanessa.  Weird that someone falls off the earth with no Facebook or anything.  Oh well.

You took a girl to a Starship Troopers movie and didn't get a second date?? This is a shocking revelation! ;)

20 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I hate to break it to you but she obviously changed her name after that date.

this was apparently 2 days after that meteor but in MB.  it's getting real up in here lol

UFO Crash-Lands in Lake Winnipeg, Military Immediately Takes Over

Posted on Feb 8th, 2016
crash_lake

This particular event which occurred in a desolate place from Canada during extreme-weather conditions forced the military to cover-up tracks once again.

This February, in Manitoba, Canada, on the Jackhead Reservation, rumors spread about a possible UFO crash landing into Lake Winnipeg.

Following this report, the Canadian military has quickly made their way to the highlighted area, blocking all access to unauthorized personnel.

During the military operation, nobody was permitted to enter or leave the reservation, while the residents of the area were visited by troops telling them that an emergency training excercise is ongoing and that they shouldn’t leave their homes until this ends.

winnipeg ufo

This was a curious action because an extremely cold front was already being felt over Manitoba for a last couple of days, making time spent outdoors a dangerous activity.

A man stranded inside the Jackhead Reservation allegedly reported that:

Apparently a disc shaped craft was seen crashing through the ice on the lake, at least one person got photographic evidence but has since been detained by the Canadian military.

The military deployed a large number of troops and equipment, effectively suppressing all view of what crashed into the lake or what they were doing there. Fortunately, some brave citizens facing the harsh weather conditions managed to take a few pictures of the gear used by the military, highlighting the importance of this “exercise” in this eventless area of Canada.

winniepeg fuo2

Owned by the Aboriginal people, the Jackhead Reservation is governed by their own laws which do not allow for operations such as these to take place, making the Canadian military intruders under these circumstances.

A native by the name of Dakotah Traverse stated that no major event took place here until now and that UFOs are not a rare sight around these parts either:

My people have been seeing these kind of things for years now. It’s funny that the military has entered my reserve for training – which they have never before, and this sudden and with so much troops. My reserve has never seen this much attention before, especially by the military, but neither from anyplace else. I wouldn’t even call this place a blip on the map, it’s so small.

While people reported seeing military forces dragging a strange disc-shaped object using snowmobiles, the Canadian army officials stated that this was just one big training exercise teaching soldiers on how to deal with a plane crash in the Arctic and rescue maneuvers.

There’s no aliens, just my friends in the air force who are out there helping us on this exercise. I have the commander of that air force contingent sitting right beside me and you know, he assures us that there was not a UFO, but that was him.

It is rather unlikely that an actual training exercise took place because they refused to give in any data about the supposed event. No evidence has been released in order to assure us this was indeed a plane crash training operation.

Whatever the case may be, we have drawn the line, speculating in favor of a UFO landing in the lake that could either have ET origins or it could be a craft designed using the latest military technology (which we believe to be extremely advanced) that crashed as a result of really bad weather.

23 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im surprised they arent better at detecting these things.  Is it because they are relatively "small" compared to most space faring objects?  If that had hit Manhattan or Paris or somewhere like that....yikes.

Although then we'd probably get some REAL investment in space exploration and development as opposed to diverting all resources to a close-minded military endeavor. 

They are small and it's hard to see them until it's gone past the earth. Space is big, like humogous big and meteors are just little specks in it. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

They are small and it's hard to see them until it's gone past the earth. Space is big, like humogous big and meteors are just little specks in it. 

Yeah, consider how hard it is to intercept ballistic missiles, and those are a lot easier to detect and move at about a third the speed (about 5km/s) of the Atlantic  meteor.

Edited by johnzo