Jets Prospects

Ducky

From TSN... Seravalli

Winnipeg Jets prospect Kyle Connor became the first NCAA freshman since Thomas Vanek in 2002-03 to hit the 30-goal mark in a season on Saturday. Michigan's Connor, 19, has four more goals than fellow freshman Jack Eichel notched for Boston Univ. last year. Eichel finished with 26 goals and 45 assists for 71 points in 40 games. Connor has 30 goals and 31 assists in 61 games. Connor will carry a 23-game point streak into the Big Ten tournament this weekend in St. Paul, Minn. With an early exit from the NCAA tournament, the 15th overall pick could well make his way to the NHL to close out the regular season with the Jets. It's hard to imagine Connor, the odds-on Hobey Baker Trophy favourite, has anything left to prove at the college level.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

From TSN... Seravalli

Winnipeg Jets prospect Kyle Connor became the first NCAA freshman since Thomas Vanek in 2002-03 to hit the 30-goal mark in a season on Saturday. Michigan's Connor, 19, has four more goals than fellow freshman Jack Eichel notched for Boston Univ. last year. Eichel finished with 26 goals and 45 assists for 71 points in 40 games. Connor has 30 goals and 31 assists in 61 games. Connor will carry a 23-game point streak into the Big Ten tournament this weekend in St. Paul, Minn. With an early exit from the NCAA tournament, the 15th overall pick could well make his way to the NHL to close out the regular season with the Jets. It's hard to imagine Connor, the odds-on Hobey Baker Trophy favourite, has anything left to prove at the college level.

He's got 61 points in 34 games.

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

From TSN... Seravalli

same number of goals as assists (practically), so he's a sniper who likes to shoot the puck.  That's not what the Jets need. 

Connor is something else, wow.  They say he's 6'1", 175lbs and his size is the only issue.  But he has a good sized frame.  Once he gets with the Jets' fitness development guys, he should hopefully pack on another 25-30 lbs.

The Jets will likely take it slow with him, I'd say 3rd line to start the season.  But it wouldnt surprise me to see him be a consistent top six guy next year. 

42 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Connor is something else, wow.  They say he's 6'1", 175lbs and his size is the only issue.  But he has a good sized frame.  Once he gets with the Jets' fitness development guys, he should hopefully pack on another 25-30 lbs.

The Jets will likely take it slow with him, I'd say 3rd line to start the season.  But it wouldnt surprise me to see him be a consistent top six guy next year. 

He's only 19, his body still has a lot of filling out to do.  Look at Mark Scheifle at that age, compared to where he is now.

Mark+Scheifele+2011+NHL+Entry+Draft+Roun

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

He's only 19, his body still has a lot of filling out to do.  Look at Mark Scheifle at that age, compared to where he is now.

Mark+Scheifele+2011+NHL+Entry+Draft+Roun

Yeah absolutely.  Knowing he's tall, I feel pretty comfortable he will fill out.  But he might get a rude awakening in the NHL next season playing with guys who are north of 200lbs.

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So knowing what we know now, should the Jets have taken Larkin over Ehlers?  Should Edmonton taken Larkin over Draisaitl?

Ehlers is a special player and was just starting to get things figured out before he hurt his eye. I really want to see what he can do a whole season with top six guys. IMO he was still the right pick to make at that spot.

I think his ceiling is higher than Larkin's. Both really good players.

Besides, we have Connor coming and he is putting Larkin's numbers in the NCAA to shame.

If the draft were re-done, Ehlers would move up to at least 5th spot and arguably 4th.

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have hopes for Poolman and Glover to at least come up and be on the Moose next year.  I like their size, as opposed to Toby Dinklage.

I think Glover is a great prospect but he hasn't shown any real offensive upside yet...  looking more like a Chiarot type right now

also think Kraskovsky has potential, really liked his game at WJC.