Buff deal imminent

Jpan85

I will be the first to admit I am surprised they got Buff locked in and for only 5 years.  It shows a lot of faith on Buff's part too because you have to know his agent said, look, you're basically weeks away from having every team in the league bidding for your services.  And he said, no, take the deal and stay in Winnipeg.

I was hoping $7.2 but thinking 6 years so Ill take this.  Around the office the reaction of 5 years was met with cheers and $7.6 with some frowns but he would have got more money or years on the open market, maybe both.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hmmmm $7.6 is a big number.  But probably will look even better in about two years.  But yes, 5 year deal is great and if it cost a few bucks, so be it.  $38m as a total is a very good number. 

Is there any left for Ladd?

Still say that if Ladd would take 5 mil 6 year he would have been signed now Buff got signed first and i think the Jets will shop Ladd

Just now, bustamente said:

Still say that if Ladd would take 5 mil 6 year he would have been signed now Buff got signed first and i think the Jets will shop Ladd

I guess it depends on their projections.  We can assume they'd like to sign Ladd but after paying Buff, what's their limit on Ladd now?  $750,000 apart (some say less), if thats over the course of 5 years, then goodness, I think it gets done.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess it depends on their projections.  We can assume they'd like to sign Ladd but after paying Buff, what's their limit on Ladd now?  $750,000 apart (some say less), if thats over the course of 5 years, then goodness, I think it gets done.

I think they would like to sign Ladd his play has improved the last couple of weeks and he's been a good soldier for the team but if he's looking for Kesler type money i can't see it happening here.

Edited by bustamente

At least Toby is no longer the highest paid player on the team!  Its only an extra $2,4M on the payroll next year too.

I agree about Ladd.  If he'd take something between Little ($4.7) and Wheeler ($5.6), it will get done.  maybe he can get the extra year to stagger him and Buff now.  $5.2 over 6 years.

EDIT: Trouba for Hamonic next?

Edited by The Unknown Poster

33 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You are not impressed with the Kane trade , the guys we have drafted,  and the contracts he already extended?

Quite the contrary. I'm a Chevy supporter, actually. That said, it's what he does/doesn't do at the deadline that will naturally shape my view of the job he's done.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Maybe in the minority but i'm not ready to give up on Trouba yet

I don't look at it as giving up on him... it's more about having to give something to get something.  And if the rumors about what Trouba's looking for on his next deal are accurate, Hamonic's contract would be much more attractive to the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Quite the contrary. I'm a Chevy supporter, actually. That said, it's what he does/doesn't do at the deadline that will naturally shape my view of the job he's done.

Ladd is next on the list.  He either signs or is traded.  if he is here without a deal on March 1st, then its a fail for Chevy.

Then he has Scheif, Trouba, Perreault, Lowry to deal with.  And if he can flip Pavs for Hillier, all the better.  if we end up with Drouin and Hamonic, Ill bake a cake with Chevy's face on it.

Worse case scenario is Trouba ends up a good 2nd pairing....nothing to sneeze at....patience grasshopper. Give him a 2 year bridge and tell him he will get the cotract he deserves after the two years. Hamonic has 4.875m in actual salary per year on his contract.  The Jets seem to think actual salary is more important. He won't get 7m per on his next deal....Chevy will not pay that much for him and has the leverage on him as well.

I see the Trouba-Buff pairing for years to come as does Maurice and Chevy I'll bet.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ladd is next on the list.  He either signs or is traded.  if he is here without a deal on March 1st, then its a fail for Chevy.

Then he has Scheif, Trouba, Perreault, Lowry to deal with.  And if he can flip Pavs for Hillier, all the better.  if we end up with Drouin and Hamonic, Ill bake a cake with Chevy's face on it.

I'm guessing that if Perreault re-signs, it is around this time of the year next season. Ladd will not on on the roster without a deal after the TD....both sides know this.

THe thing about Ladd that sorta complicates things is it's  hard to just outright deal your captain. It's not that it can't be done, obviously, but optically, it looks bad. Hopefully they're able to work something out, anyhow...