New Quarterback in Town

Mike

So anyone know anything about Brown?  Looks like he was on the Sask roster right up until June of this year, and then released during training camp.   

To get to the roster limit, the Roughriders released eight players: import quarterback Levi Brown, non-import linebacker Aaron Crawford, import running back Stephfon Green, import linebacker Anthony Heygood, import receiver Phillip Livas, import defensive end Kenny Rowe, non-import defensive lineman David Rybinski and import defensive back Chip Vaughn.

Brown, 26, was the Roughriders' fourth quarterback in 2012, but he spent the entire campaign on injured lists and didn't dress for any games.

When former NFLer J.T. O'Sullivan - last season's third-stringer - was released in the off-season, Brown appeared destined for the active roster. After all, he had worked with Roughriders' offensive coordinator George Cortez while they were both with the NFL's Buffalo Bills.

However, Saskatchewan head coach Corey Chamb-lin said newly-signed pivot Tino Sunseri "looked a little bit better with what we were doing than Levi did at the time." Since the Roughriders don't want to keep four quarterbacks this season, Brown was released.

Chamblin said cutting a player who had played in the system for a season was tough.

"The management (informed) most of the guys, but I said, 'Let me talk to Levi for a second,'" Cham-blin said. "He's a guy we brought in and you form a relationship with them.

"As a coach, I know they'll all be released or something at one point in time, but I just wanted to make sure he was OK and told him that if he needed help in any way, we'll try to help him."

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Brown+Rowe+among+first+cuts/8539871/story.html

So I assume this means Buck is done for the year? With Boltus and Brown now on the roster, plus Max Hall, doesn't leave much room for Buck.  Also I am hoping that Hall is done too, after having seen Goltz and Hall in action, I prefer Goltz.

Buck's contract is guaranteed at this point, so they might as well keep him around for emergency purposes.

Sorry Buck...it's just too much.

By "Emergency" I mean something like "Goltz becomes a quadruple amputee, Max Hall quits the Bombers to commence astronaut training, and Jason Boltus is revealed to actually be a pair of clever dogs wearing a human suit.  Also, Michael Bishop is unavailable."

Shawn Churchill ‏@ShawnChurchill 5m

Burke says coaches in Saskatchewan have given him recommendation on Levi brown. What rivalry?

Amazing what happens when you actually talk to other teams instead of pretending they don't exist.

we sign a guy who lost his 3rd string job? Yeah those coaches in Sask really musta loved the guy, cut him and everything. 

Burke says coaches in Saskatchewan have given him recommendation on Levi brown. What rivalry?

Amazing what happens when you actually talk to other teams instead of pretending they don't exist.

we sign a guy who lost his 3rd string job? Yeah those coaches in Sask really musta loved the guy, cut him and everything. 

What's the problem? It's a recommendation on a back up QB...no strings attached.

LOL.  Now we know whose account Joe Mack is using to post on here.... ;)

Yeah.

That would be like harping about how good someone is when they are 3rd string for the Lions...........

Walters has made more moves in his 2 weeks then Mack did in an entire offseason....

That is incorrect. Mack made moves, he just preferred to bring in rookies than cast offs. The number of moves isn't going to be any different, just the source of players that's changing. 

You have a great career as a spin doctor... Obama could use your help right now. ;)

I happen to like this move. Brown is a big qb & has a nice arm. From what I remember he is pretty mobile as well. He didn't get much of a chance beind Drew Willy in Saskatchewan. I saw him play the last 2 exhibition seasons & I thought he looked better than Willy. One or two qbs are going to be moving out, I think. One should be Buck as we can no longer win with him anymore. The other 3 who knows? Didn't count Brown as he just got here.

Exactly. Its like Mack didnt get what all the fans understood -- that this league recycles staff from franchise to franchise, so you might as well play ball with the other teams cause you're likely going to be employed by them one day.

That is, unless your name is Joe Mack or Mike Kelly

Finally, someone with enough arm strength to get a football through a spider web without it getting hung up.

• "If you look at Levi (Brown), which we looked extensively at him, he has a very good arm. He throws a tight spiral. He played in a wide open offense so he had an opportunity to throw the ball a great deal. He's got excellent size to go along with it and has enough mobility. I wouldn't call him a runner but he has enough mobility to be able escape the rush and do a little bit on his own with his legs. And he's a very intelligent guy. We visited with him and had him in our room in Indianapolis. We had targeted him previously as a guy we wanted to visit with. He was a good looking young prospect to us." - Chan Gailey
    • "Yeah, I see his accuracy as a strength. He didn't make some throws that he's going to have to make here. The deep outs. He made it a few times but that wasn't something he majored in. He hit a bunch of seams and a bunch of quicker throws. He threw the ball deep down the sidelines. But the deep outs they just didn't incorporate it. So you can't penalize him for that but you saw enough arm strength that you know he can." - Gailey
    • "We do think he's an intelligent player. In our interview process we found that to be true. He handles himself very well talking about the game and it looked like it on film. It looked like he knew what he was doing." - Gailey

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/29/1448778/scouting-the-scouting-reports

Walters has made more moves in his 2 weeks then Mack did in an entire offseason....

That is incorrect. Mack made moves, he just preferred to bring in rookies than cast offs. The number of moves isn't going to be any different, just the source of players that's changing. 

You have a great career as a spin doctor... Obama could use your help right now. ;)

I really did miss my calling. 

I really did miss my calling. 

LOL! I think so. :)

Yeah.

That would be like harping about how good someone is when they are 3rd string for the Lions...........

and boom goes the dynamite..

Drew Tate languished in Sask for years as the #3 or #4 qb before he came to the Stamps. If it wasn't for injury woes, he'd be one of the best qbs in the CFL right now. So, this thing about being third string for the Riders means nothing to me. Let's see if Levi Brown grabs the brass rail like Tait did. It also tells me that the leash on Goltz is going to be short.

I really don't see any of our current Qb's staying on the roster at the end of the season, trades will happen.

Question is, who will be the starting QB for the Bombers in 2014 ?