Buff or Trouba

Goalie

Bob Mckenzie is an insider but I'd agree that he might be guessing. Why couldn't they afford both. Honestly if it does mean moving Enstrom and Myers and even Ladd.... sign buff. Sign Trouba. Besides they are playing together now so gotta think they are somewhat experimenting with the possibility of a buff trouba pairing moving forward. Unless you get an offer that you can't refuse for Buff... cuz this team showed they can play and win without buff. Don't forget he was suspended for the final 3 4 5 games last year and the only loss was in a shootout to Colorado 

Edited by Goalie

There was some speculation when they traded for Myers that they might eventually flip him. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.  I don't think having buff myers and trouba is likely. I think one will have to go. I dunno who. What if they trade buff buy sign him as a free agent lol. 

Edited by Goalie

Purely because of his size, lets compare him to Chara.

Chara spent his first 3 years with the Islanders, then 4 years with Ottawa before going to Boston.   In Boston at the age of 28, he became the dominant defenceman that helped them win their cup.

Chara went to Ottawa as part of the Yashin deal.  Good trade for Ottawa.  Horrible trade for the Islanders giving up on him.  Ottawa had to choose between Chara and Wade Redden.  They chose Redden in favour of Chara and let Chara walk in free agency. Chara was showing flashes and was a solid player, but certainly not what he would become in Boston. Horrible decision by Ottawa.

Myers has spent 4 1/2 years with Buffalo and 1 1/2 years with Winnipeg and is now age 25.  Do you want to be Ottawa and the islanders in the career of Myers or would you rather keep him and find out what he can become. 

I respect the opinions of guys like Mackenzie and Dreger but they are wrong just as often as they are right, if not more often.  Not that they are lying or blindly speculating but things change on a daily basis behind the scenes.  Dreger reports that LA and Kopitar are miles apart and two days later he signs.

I understand the difficulty in signing both Buff and Trouba but how much money are we willing to shell out on potential for guys like Scheifele and Lowry?  At 20-25 points a season should we be concerned about Lowry at all??  Can't let these young guys bend us over just because we've put some development time into them.  There are always new prospects coming up. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Purely because of his size, lets compare him to Chara.

Chara spent his first 3 years with the Islanders, then 4 years with Ottawa before going to Boston.   In Boston at the age of 28, he became the dominant defenceman that helped them win their cup.

Chara went to Ottawa as part of the Yashin deal.  Good trade for Ottawa.  Horrible trade for the Islanders giving up on him.  Ottawa had to choose between Chara and Wade Redden.  They chose Redden in favour of Chara and let Chara walk in free agency. Chara was showing flashes and was a solid player, but certainly not what he would become in Boston. Horrible decision by Ottawa.

Myers has spent 4 1/2 years with Buffalo and 1 1/2 years with Winnipeg and is now age 25.  Do you want to be Ottawa and the islanders in the career of Myers or would you rather keep him and find out what he can become. 

I'd rather have all 3 of them but if I had to pick only two, Myers would be the odd man out....Buff was playing hurt tonight and was on the ice for 27:46.... is that enough emotional and physical involvement? Re-sign Buff. Trade Myers and Petan or something for Hamonic. Trouba-Buff and Hamonic-Enstrom isn't bad.

I'd say Scheif more than Trouba or Lowry deserves a long term deal but I wouldn't sign any of those 3 to one. Offer them 2 year deals that are fair...Scheif gets 3.75 and 4.25...Trouba gets the same and Lowry gets 3.75 a year for two years...tell them to show how much they are worth for 2 years and guarantee them you will pay them what they are worth.

Trade Ladd and a high pick and whatever else we need for a solid LHD, I won't be sad to see him leave.

Edited by Ducky

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'd rather have all four of them but if I had to pick only two, Myers would be the odd man out....Buff was playing hurt tonight and was on the ice for 27:46.... is that enough emotional and physical involvement? Re-sign Buff. Trade Myers and Petan or something for Hamonic. Trouba-Buff and Hamonic-Enstrom isn't bad.

I'd say Scheif more than Trouba or Lowry deserves a long term deal but I wouldn't sign any of those 3 to one. Offer them 2 year deals that are fair...Scheif gets 3.75 and 4.25...Trouba gets the same and Lowry gets 3.75 a year for two years...tell them to show how much they are worth for 2 years and guarantee them you will pay them what they are worth.

Trade Ladd and a high pick and whatever else we need for a solid LHD, I won't be sad to see him leave.

Seems like a horrible plan.

You are really over valuing Hamonic here big time. He's good but he's not elite. Myers can be. With that said I'd do myers for Hamonic.  I ain't adding tho.  Lots over valuing Hamonic since it's come out he wants to be here. Prior to that.... he wasn't really talked about that much if at all. 

Edited by Goalie

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

You are really over valuing Hamonic here big time. He's good but he's not elite. Myers can be. With that said I'd do myers for Hamonic.  I ain't adding tho.  Lots over valuing Hamonic since it's come out he wants to be here. Prior to that.... he wasn't really talked about that much if at all. 

This....I like Hamonic a lot, and he's got a great contract, but Myers is really good and has a really high ceiling.

Myers is better than Hamonic tho and isn't that the point here? Regardless of what anyone says, Myers is better than Hamonic. And he is progressing, I'm not sure how you can say he isn't, He's put up lots of points so far, he's pretty good defensively, better than Buff in the D zone. 

Weird post above. Sorry. Thing isn't working right. 

anyway.... the people who undervalue Myers the most are here.  He was widely considered a top (or THE top) deadline pluer available. And the talk of flipping him I think was out of town experts who couldn't believe that the jets landed the prize pig last year. 

every team in the NHL wants a player like Myers.  

I don't know enough about Hamonic to comment about him, just as I didn't know enough about Myers before he came to the Jets. Myers is that kind of player that teams look  at and covet. He's big and strong, he's got a nice reach and shot. He's got just enough savvy to be valuable now, and just enough upside to keep our team interested. You can see how he's progressing as he chooses when to "go" on offence, or to stay and play defence. He has not plateaued. I believe he's got more to contribute if we have the coaching to do it. He's a keeper IMO.