Buff or Trouba

Goalie

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Little had had very good seasons on the wing. Are you going to put Scheifele on the 3rd or on wing? Little would be the one to move over.

You don't like soft players but you like Myers? For someone that has played and watched hockey as much as you say you do/have, you must see what a soft player he is, especially for his size.

Ive said over and over... being a soft player doesent make you a bad player. Ive never said i dont like soft players.

I also never said anything about Myers being a hardnose hard hitting player. What i said was hes a big young kid that plays his position well he can skate and move the puck hes got size and uses it well and has a great contract. His contract actually allows us to put towards others as we need. Hes not hurt alot and can play big min. Hes not in anyway a liability to us at all. Hes pretty much what every team wants.

It would IMO be a horrible move to trade him for RNH.

2 hours ago, New_Earth_Mud said:

Ive said over and over... being a soft player doesent make you a bad player. Ive never said i dont like soft players.

I also never said anything about Myers being a hardnose hard hitting player. What i said was hes a big young kid that plays his position well he can skate and move the puck hes got size and uses it well and has a great contract. His contract actually allows us to put towards others as we need. Hes not hurt alot and can play big min. Hes not in anyway a liability to us at all. Hes pretty much what every team wants.

It would IMO be a horrible move to trade him for RNH.

????

can you explain this?

3 minutes ago, New_Earth_Mud said:

His pay becomes less as years go by.

We pay him less as we need to pay others more. Its not hard to figure out.

Apparently Ducky has selective memory...  when we had traded for him last year it was looked upon as a fantastic deal and both papers and on here everyone kept talking about what a  great contract we got with him...

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

I'm not saying it is a bad contract.

I'd rather be a team that cares more about the cap hit than the actual salary.

His cap hit is 5.5m per year.

The reality is that the Jets care about salary more than cap hit.

Because the Jets would probably have a less talented, harder on the cap but easier on the pocketbook, player than a more talented, easier on cap but harder on pocketbook player.

The salary/caphit should come into consideration but talent should be the reason no?

Where do you get the idea tjay the jets have passed on a player due to cap vs salary?  I think salary is always a consideration as it should be.  We don't want the jets overpaying.  I don't think for one second they made the decision that keep Myers over Hamonic because of his salary. I'm not sure one has anything to do with the other. 

Hamonic would be judged on his own merits and it's probably more to do with what they have to give up to get him than what he costs. 

For myers his salary is gravy that allows them to do other things. But he's get his cap hit in real salary on just about any team. That's fair value for his talent.  

5.5 is too much for Myers. I just think that a team should care more about talen than the bottom line and making more money.

The team would be better with Hamonic than Myers but Myers only costs them 4, 3.5, and 3 with a 5.5 hit but Hamonic would cost them 4.875, 4.875, 4.875, and 4.875 for the next 4 with a 3.857 cap hit.

In a couple of years when they are in a pinch for the cap, tell me who has the better contract. Besides, like I said earlier, he is the 3rd best RHD we have. Should the 3rd best RHD cost you 5.5 on the cap hit?

You realise Hamonic is not a free agent right?  To make him a jet it's not just his salary. It's the cost to get him. You seem to be implying the jets could trade myers for Hamonic right now but won't.  I'm not convinced that's the case and I'm not convinced they should even do that if it is an option. 

But if the jets should be trying so hard to get rid of Myers why would the islanders want him?  

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Another benefit to having Hamonic is resigning him in the future is likely to be less then what others will offer for him.

I agree.  If the Jets dont land Hamonic, its somewhat of a fail.  Ofcourse we dont know how contentious the negotiations are for the trade.  if the Isles will only accept Trouba then I am fine with Chevy declining.  But if Hamonic gets traded somewhere else for a package that seems doable from our perspective, it will be pretty stupid.

Not only his talent and decent contract but his character and the fact he's local.  All of those things make Hamonic in a Jets jersey a no-brainer.

31 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'm not implying the Jets can trade Myers for Hamonic.

If the Jets sign Hamonic, what do we do with 4RHD?

Well one of them is playing LHD already.

I dont disagree though.  it would still give you Buff, Myers, Hamonic on the right side.  So realistically another one of them would have to shift left eventually.  After they part with Toby.  Buff-Hamonic, Trouba-Myers, Morrissey-Chiarot.

RHD and LHD   dont really matter to much if you put out a stay at home guy with a puck mover.

Back when Scotty was coaching the red wings there was a year they had all LHD and one RHD...  I remember him being asked about it and that was his answer. It also happened to the wings again when Babcock was coaching and he pretty much said the same thing but you need to have the right combo of puck movers and stay at home guys.