Prospect Report

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What in the hell happened to Hutch from this time last year to now?

Hutch was really only good for the middle part of the season last year.  Pavelec stole the show to get his job back and the winning streak to get the Jets into the playoffs by the end of it.

If you look at his career even back when he started in Boston, he has mostly bounced around the AHL and ECHL.  

It is getting to where his current body of work is more on par with most of his career.  It will be interesting to see what the Jets do with him since he is an RFA after this year.  With Hellebuyck's showing this year and Comrie in the queue, they will likely try to trade him.    Though his value won't be that high.

I'd sign him to a pro contract as soon as I could if I were Chevy. Dylan Larkin had 47 points in 35 games playing for that team last year and Connor already has 41 points in 22 games! I don't know the rules of this but if possible, I'd sign him now and get him on the Moose at least. This kid isn't going to learn anything else playing there. He is dominating most times on the ice. If he is ready for the Moose, get him on there and call him up as a roster spot at the end of the season, when we are out of the playoffs, and let him earn some bigger checks and give him even more reason to try to make the big team in the fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Poolman (love that name) plays for North Dakota.  They play Northeastern first, while Connor and Michigan take on Notre Dame.  It will be interesting to see if Michigan can win it all.  It would be great if Poolman can find a spot on the roster, he's another big kid.  Myers, Melch and Poolman - now there's some size on the blue line.  No more smurfs on D.

Poolman's not ready.  Another year at UND, two seasons with the Moose after that, then maybe.  He seemed pretty well rounded in his skill set, but everything needs to move up a few notches before any talk about a Jets' roster spot should happen.

But....I'd probably have said the same thing about Copp before this season.

Actually, I'll probably still say the same thing about Copp at the end of this season.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Poolman's not ready.  Another year at UND, two seasons with the Moose after that, then maybe.  He seemed pretty well rounded in his skill set, but everything needs to move up a few notches before any talk about a Jets' roster spot should happen.

But....I'd probably have said the same thing about Copp before this season.

Actually, I'll probably still say the same thing about Copp at the end of this season.

not sure when you know if someone is "ready" or not.  Watching the Jets "Young Stars" games in Penticton last September I'd have said that none of them were ready, as they all played awful.  But here we have Ehlers, Kosmachuk, Petan, De Leo, Morrissey and Hellebuyck all playing up this year and contributing.  Petan actually looked pretty good last night, but of course, he was playing against Vancouver's farm team, and an extremely lethargic-looking Sedin twin combo.  Anyway, given I've never seen Poolman play I am in no position to judge his readiness.  Perhaps he will surprise in TC, though I know if he's an RHD he's already going to be cursed as we apparently need LHD only.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Well I've only seen him play one game, so I'm not going to pretend I've written the scouting report for the Jets on him.  But he was already a Jets prospect, so I did pay very close attention to him.  The bigger problem...

OKAY, TIMEOUT!!!  THE N AND THE B SHOULD NOT BE PLACED SO CLOSE TOGETHER.  HOLY CRAP I'M GLAD I RE-READ THAT SENTENCE!!!

...the bigger problem is that the NCAA has long clamped down on the kind of over-physicality that we see up here in Junior games, from fights (yes Virginia, there can be hockey without fighting), skirmishes in front of the net after every whistle, to even just trying to run opponents thru the boards.  So his physicality on the ice can only be compared the other players in that game, who are also playing a meeker style of hockey.  But he compared quite well, won every physical matchup he was engaged in, and threw the only noteworthy hit in that game.

I'd say he moves the puck well thru the neutral zone, has a very good shot, average puck handling skills and very average skating ability.  The reason I'd say I didn't think he's ready is it looked like players with above average speed would be able to burn him with regularity and I didn't get the sense that he really took command of play in his own end very well.  The ice was fairly tilted though, and not a lot of play took place in UND's end, so it might be a matter of limited opportunities.

At that level of hockey, guys with size or skill often stand out because they are playing against other teenagers, but that advantage is gone when they hit the NHL.  Poolman had a decent physical advantage over his opponent, but if I removed that from the equation it looked like there was still a lot of work to do.  People want to compare him to Buff because of similarities in their career paths, but I'd sooner compare him to Melchiori based on what I saw.  Maybe he'll play in the NHL someday, maybe not.  But he needs a lot more development time from what I saw, and there isn't a great reason to rush him from the Souix to the Moose right away.

And yes, since he's not a LHD, we might as well just chop him up and use him for fuel.