Prospect Report

Generally not a big fan of the quality of articles on THW, but not a bad read about Morrissey's progression recently compared to the beginning of the year.

http://thehockeywriters.com/josh-morrissey-matures-with-the-manitoba-moose/

Of note, I was pleasantly surprised to see his physicality in this clip, along with a reference in the article to a Craig Button comment likening Morrissey's physical play to Kronwall.

Edited by Tony Fresco

• 2 weeks later...

More praise for Mr Connor after another strong weekend.  Now tied for lead in goals in entire NCAA (not just freshmen) and only 2 pts off points lead with 1 less game played than the leader.  Starting to garner Hobey Baker talk. Will the Jets push for him to turn pro after this season?  

http://thehockeywriters.com/kyle-connor-ncaa/

I know there's another thread for this but what would you honestly offer Ladd???....After this year's play (if he isn't hurt) I wouldn't go more than 29m over 5 years. If not, trade him at the deadline for the best deal  you can. A team like Montreal would love Ladd.

We'd get a pretty good return on Ladd and look what the Jets would have (5.8m-6.2m) to spend on another player. Mikkel Boedker would be a nice on-ice replacement for Ladd but less the nastiness. A really good two way player that will get  you about 55 points a year. He is making 3.75m in the last year of his contract. Give him a 5 year deal for 25m or 29m over 6 years. He is only 26 years old.

You're right, it just might be.

I think Montreal would give up a bunch to get him but I would sooner take a prospect that was drafted a year ago than a 1st round pick. So for Ladd you would expect a 1st rounder and an A or B prospect. I'd be happy with a bona fide blue chip prospect ready to start on the NHL and a 2nd rounder. You take that and add someone like Boedker and you are much better off in the long run.

Connor is playing lights out this season...........he might be ready before most people thin k.

If I knew for a fact Ladd was hampered by the injury and all he needs is a solid 2-3 months to be back in tip top form, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  But as Wheeler gets better and better and Little continues to be an unsung hero, Ladd looks more out of place on the top line.  Look what happened when he was moved down to the 3rd line - he seemed to excel.

Are you signing a 3LW to $6m per year?  And if Ladd is struggling to hold on to the 1LW now, how will he look in Year 3 or 4 of a 5-6 year deal?  I have advocating signing him in the past feeling he is likely to always be a strong contributor as he slides down the roster (ie. being a strong 1LW, then 2LW, then 3LW on a hopefully contending Jets team) but that means getting paid like a guy on the downside of his career, not the prime.

If Kyle Connor is here next here, then he's arguably pushing for a top six LW role.  You still have Ehlers, you still have Perrerault (only one more year but I would hope he is re-signed this year and not fall into the Chevy game of cat and mouse).  Sure you can keep Ehlers and Connor playing down the roster as first contract guys, but should that be a consideration?  Or should the best players play in the best positions?  Im not sure Ladd beats out Ehlers or Connor in a year or two. 

I think the expectation for Connor to slip into a top 6 role next year is a bit premature.

Yes he is looking great in the NCAA right now, but he is still only going to be 19 years old to start the year next year.  And if he does make the team next year he is going to have a lot of ups and downs like Ehlers has this year.

You always hear Chevy talking about over ripening prospects with the Moose.  When does that actually happen?

I'm not necessarily advocating that we should be re-signing Ladd, but if Connor is a top 6 winger on the Jets next year, we aren't a playoff team again.  If Ladd isn't re-signed, we really need a stop gap LW from FA for a couple of years.

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think the expectation for Connor to slip into a top 6 role next year is a bit premature.

Yes he is looking great in the NCAA right now, but he is still only going to be 19 years old to start the year next year.  And if he does make the team next year he is going to have a lot of ups and downs like Ehlers has this year.

You always hear Chevy talking about over ripening prospects with the Moose.  When does that actually happen?

I'm not necessarily advocating that we should be re-signing Ladd, but if Connor is a top 6 winger on the Jets next year, we aren't a playoff team again.  If Ladd isn't re-signed, we really need a stop gap LW from FA for a couple of years.

I dont disagree.  But Ehlers was penciled into a top six role and has certainly been in that position at various times this season.  One could argue that if Ehlers had AHL eligibility, he would have been Petan'ed at some point and that probably true.  But he also shows fairly consistent "flashes" of being good enough for the role he's in.  And one could argue Connor is better or more well rounded.

With a weak Left Wing, I cant see Connor being in the bottom six for long.  Sure, let's assume Ladd and Perreault both re-sign.  Is it possible next season sees the LW depth chart as Ladd, Perreault, Connor?  And if so, how long is Connor third on that depth chart?  In a perfect world, you resign Ladd and make Connor take his job away and enjoy an embarrassment of riches.  But this being the Jets, there is a likelihood of, all things being equal, they would prefer not to pay Ladd $6m for 5 years if Connor is going to take his job in two years.

I guess the better option is having these veterans like Toby, Ladd, Buff, Little even, have expiring contracts when their "replacements" are in need of new contracts so the transition is financially seamless.  And to an extent they have that with Toby off the books in two years (which works if Trouba signs a 2 year bridge deal).  I'd be cautious about long term deals for Ladd and Buff though...especially with talent coming from the minors/junior.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But Ehlers was penciled into a top six role and has certainly been in that position at various times this season

This is exactly my point.  Do you consider us a playoff team this year?  If you were putting down money today, would you be betting on the Jets making the playoffs or not?

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And one could argue Connor is better or more well rounded.

How so?  He will still be a 19 year old rookie.  With a few small exceptions (these being the generational talents), relying on a 19 year old rookie to be a top 6 contributor basically means you aren't a playoff team.  They are too inconsistent while they learn the game at the pro level.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

With a weak Left Wing, I cant see Connor being in the bottom six for long.  Sure, let's assume Ladd and Perreault both re-sign.  Is it possible next season sees the LW depth chart as Ladd, Perreault, Connor?  And if so, how long is Connor third on that depth chart?  In a perfect world, you resign Ladd and make Connor take his job away and enjoy an embarrassment of riches.  But this being the Jets, there is a likelihood of, all things being equal, they would prefer not to pay Ladd $6m for 5 years if Connor is going to take his job in two years.

I guess the better option is having these veterans like Toby, Ladd, Buff, Little even, have expiring contracts when their "replacements" are in need of new contracts so the transition is financially seamless.  And to an extent they have that with Toby off the books in two years (which works if Trouba signs a 2 year bridge deal).  I'd be cautious about long term deals for Ladd and Buff though...especially with talent coming from the minors/junior.

Agree with most of this.  But the way I see it is you have a choice to make.  Sign Ladd or sign some other experienced LW in FA, but if you are pushing Connor into a top 6 role next year, especially if that is the way you are starting the season ...  you are heading for a bottom 10 finish again. 

I dont think the Jets are a playoff team this year or next.  If they re-sign Ladd & Buff that signals an intent to try to be a playoff team next year.  But I certainly have no issue with the Jets making a different decision to go young and let those guys grow together.  Another one step back, two steps forward scenario.

And even if thats the case, I dont think our remaining veterans (Little, Wheeler, Stafford, Toby etc) are being wasted because I think they are good examples to the youth, Wheeler especially, about what Jets hockey should be.  And ultimately, if we go young, a "rebuild" you might say, and take the one step back, two steps forward approach, I think there comes a time, maybe in 2 years, maybe 3, where those steps forward happen pretty rapidly.  And guys like Wheeler and Little probably reap the benefits, or reap what they sow in a sense as the veteran guys on a young team that will consistently contend.

We were spoiled to a degree by last season.  Some people think we should have gone full rebuild when the team arrived.  I dont agree because its too easy to play hindsight game.  And would we really be glad to not have Wheeler here?  I think management saw the dual core (the Atlanta Five and the upcoming youth) and thought we could make a go of it sooner than later.  And maybe we surprise people next season even with a youth movement.

11 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

More praise for Mr Connor after another strong weekend.  Now tied for lead in goals in entire NCAA (not just freshmen) and only 2 pts off points lead with 1 less game played than the leader.  Starting to garner Hobey Baker talk. Will the Jets push for him to turn pro after this season?  

http://thehockeywriters.com/kyle-connor-ncaa/

Petan/Ehlers led their league. Not the end all be all.

It totally depends on Kyle Connor. Dylan Larkin is only 6 months older and he is doing very well in the league...ya, I know he is much bigger than Connor.

If Connor starts on the Moose and earns a full time gig with the Jets to start the 2017-2018 season, I can't see anyone complaining with his progress at all. I'm not sure he needs to stay another year at Michigan. I hope to see him on the Moose at least next September/October.

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Petan/Ehlers led their league. Not the end all be all.

Technically, Petan did, Ehlers didn't but did lead in PPG.  You are correct, it's not the be all end all.  However, it certainly beats the prospect struggling.  And neither Petan or Ehlers led their league as a rookie.  Hopefully, indicators of future upside, but by no mean a guarantee of success.

I wouldn't exactly call those two busts either.  Although I am a little concerned with Petan.  While he looked decent the last 2 camps, I caught a Moose game a few weeks back and his speed looked average at best for the AHL level.  At his size, you need to be quick to survive, never mind thrive, at the next level.

Both Kyle Connor and Jamie Phillips on the preliminary Hobey Baker ballot ...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2016/01/20/u-ms-compher-among-locals-hobey-baker-fan-ballot/7906918

Can go to the Hobey Baker facebook page to vote (1 vote per 24 hours)  

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobey/app/169616693395433/

11 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

Both Kyle Connor and Jamie Phillips on the preliminary Hobey Baker ballot ...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2016/01/20/u-ms-compher-among-locals-hobey-baker-fan-ballot/7906918

Can go to the Hobey Baker facebook page to vote (1 vote per 24 hours)  

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobey/app/169616693395433/

Scouts sure have an eye for goalies

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/woodley-hellebuyck-has-been-one-of-the-nhl-s-best-goalies-1.427255

Interview with Kevin Woodley of InGoal magazine. He says Helle has been one of the best in the league. He's wondering if starting Helle too much cuts into his practice time so he can't go over things he needs to. He says he is handling it very well and his learning process is going faster than most. People that he trusts and people in the know tell him that Comrie is NHL ready right now. Says it is nice that the Jets' two youngest goalies are their best two goalies. He's says the it is good that they are both in their ELC contracts as they don't have to rush them and the Jets have to decide what to do with Hutch.

He said when Pavs gets back, it will be tough to decide who to play but he would run with Helle right now because he is playing like one of the best in the league. He said Helle would be in his list of top 3 for rookies of the year.