Around the NHL

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not the first time he has been in trouble.  They were saying on the Morning Show this morning that he doesn't qualify as a repeat offender because of the amount of time that has passed since these suspensions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Keith

On March 23, 2012, Keith was suspended five games for delivering an elbow to the head of Canuck forward Daniel Sedin. Head of the Department of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan observed that the hit was "dangerous, reckless, and caused injury" in his video release.[11]

On June 4, 2013, Keith received a one-game suspension for high sticking the Los Angeles Kings' Jeff Carter during Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals. 

In fairness, he shoulda received a medal for this...

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

In fairness, he shoulda received a medal for this...

Bullfrog. I saw that elbow and it was the definition of a cheap shot. You may not appreciate Daniel Sedin, but that kind of thugness has no place in hockey.

8 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Keith's a dirty player and I hope he misses the 1st round. He won't though, b/c as TUP said, playoff games are way overvalued by Player Safety.

The guy's a coward. If you're mad at Coyle, get up and drop the gloves. Coyle would be more than willing to go.

My guess is that's exactly why he didn't drop the gloves. He knows he would have been pummeled.

Tidbit...

Bryan Little sits in 56th spot for points for centers which would make him a 2C........he has played about 20 games less than most centers in front of him. He has 42 points in 57 games and if he had played 76 games at that pace up until now, he would be sitting around 18th spot.

Scheifele is sitting at 25th spot and he has played about 10 games less than most of the centers in front of him. If he played 76 games at his ppg, he would be in 11th spot for centers right now.

Byfuglien is in 13th spot in scoring for D men.

When did Crosby sneak into 3rd place in the scoring race?

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:31 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Messier was selected in the 1979 entry draft in the third round by the Oilers.  The Jets took Jimmy Mann and Dave Christian ahead of Messier in that draft.  Lowe went two picks after Mann in the first round, so we could have had Lowe too if we'd taken him instead of Mann.  Fergy really crapped the bed with Jimmy Mann.

So to sum up - and I know hindsight is 20-20 - Lowe, Messier and Gretzky all could have been Jets.

Dave Christian turned into a very good hockey player so that draft wasn't a total loss.

33 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Steen was taken in the 5th round and Tim Watters was taken in the 6th.

That was a good draft & yeah Jimmy Mann wasn't the greatest choice but he did play a few seasons as an enforcer for the Jets. I didn't think John Ferguson did as bad as was suggested here by KBF. Kevin Cheveldayoff should be as astute drafting players as Fergie was. He rebuilt the Jets quickly thru the draft with Babych & Hawerchuk,  trades & free agent signings like Serge Savard.

Edited by iso_55

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

That was a good draft & yeah Jimmy Mann wasn't the greatest choice but he did play a few seasons as an enforcer for the Jets. I didn't think John Ferguson did as bad as was suggested here by KBF. Kevin Cheveldayoff should be as astute drafting players as Fergie was. He rebuilt the Jets quickly thru the draft with Babych & Hawerchuk,  trades & free agent signings like Serge Savard.

All I said was that he crapped the bed taking Jimmy Mann. I didn't offer an opinion on Fergie's drafting prowess overall.  Overall he did ok.  Hawerchuk was pretty much a gimme, he would have gone first overall no matter who was picking.  Kind of like saying that the Oilers are awesome at drafting because they took McDavid in 2015.

6 hours ago, Ducky said:

Tidbit...

Bryan Little sits in 56th spot for points for centers which would make him a 2C........he has played about 20 games less than most centers in front of him. He has 42 points in 57 games and if he had played 76 games at that pace up until now, he would be sitting around 18th spot.

Scheifele is sitting at 25th spot and he has played about 10 games less than most of the centers in front of him. If he played 76 games at his ppg, he would be in 11th spot for centers right now.

Byfuglien is in 13th spot in scoring for D men.

When did Crosby sneak into 3rd place in the scoring race?

So much for thoughts of Crosby's demise.  If he scored at this clip all season, he'd be running away with it.

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Remainder of season is couple games no biggie.

Re: Fergi - His teams made the playoffs 7 straight years then we(well not we, the dumbasses in charge) fired him and from then on it was miss the playoffs, make the playoffs, miss the playoffs...

after Fergie was fired though the Jets and all the Canadian teams were really getting screwed over with the exchange rate and the fact that there was no salary cap.  The Canadian teams, especially the small market ones like Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Quebec, couldn't afford to pay any stars.  I still remember when Chicago offered Tkachuk a $6 million signing bonus that Winnipeg had to match just to keep him.  It was ridiculous.  Hard to compare those years to current NHL, which has a much more level playing field.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

after Fergie was fired though the Jets and all the Canadian teams were really getting screwed over with the exchange rate and the fact that there was no salary cap.  The Canadian teams, especially the small market ones like Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Quebec, couldn't afford to pay any stars.  I still remember when Chicago offered Tkachuk a $6 million signing bonus that Winnipeg had to match just to keep him.  It was ridiculous.  Hard to compare those years to current NHL, which has a much more level playing field.

Different era but this was before the fall of the Canadian dollar in the late 90's to the mid 2000's. It was Mike Smith, his Asst GM who forced Fergie out in a palace coup of some kind where he got the ear of ownership & convinced them Ferguson had to be fired. Disastrous move because Fergie & his scouting team had an eye for talent that was sorely missed after he was gone. He was able to bring in so many talented players during his time here. Smith only lasted a few seasons then he was fired. He was a GM in Chicago & Asst GM in Toronto after the Jets but found little success & now is a scout for another NHL team today.

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

All I said was that he crapped the bed taking Jimmy Mann. I didn't offer an opinion on Fergie's drafting prowess overall.  Overall he did ok.  Hawerchuk was pretty much a gimme, he would have gone first overall no matter who was picking.  Kind of like saying that the Oilers are awesome at drafting because they took McDavid in 2015.

Hey KBF, I didn't mean to imply you did so sorry if I offended you as I didn't mean to do it.

On 3/30/2016 at 1:35 PM, sweep the leg said:

Keith's a dirty player and I hope he misses the 1st round. He won't though, b/c as TUP said, playoff games are way overvalued by Player Safety.

The guy's a coward. If you're mad at Coyle, get up and drop the gloves. Coyle would be more than willing to go.

Keith and his buddy Seabrooke are both dirty players but they get the benefit of the doubt because they play for the storied Black Hawks, if a marginal player did this he would be gone for 20. 

18 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Keith and his buddy Seabrooke are both dirty players but they get the benefit of the doubt because they play for the storied Black Hawks, if a marginal player did this he would be gone for 20. 

Keith gets the benefit of the doubt because he's maybe the best defenseman in the league. Certainly Top 3.......is he dirty? **** yeah...but he's also a hell of a hockey player.

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wasnt there a story of Mike Smith at the draft where when it was the Jets turn they just randomly picked a name off a list of Russian players?  He was that determined to draft Russian. 

I know when they wasted a first round draft pick on Sergei Bautin, all the media experts were scrambling because on one had really heard of the guy before.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Keith gets the benefit of the doubt because he's maybe the best defenseman in the league. Certainly Top 3.......is he dirty? **** yeah...but he's also a hell of a hockey player.

No doubt he is a very good player but it drives me nuts the stuff he gets away with during games.