Rider fans calling Willy a great pocket passer

bb1

How did the Riders not let Willy walk? They chose to keep Durant as their starter and not give Willy the money or opportunity. They didn't try to keep him. That's letting him walk IMO, similar to how the Bombers let a guy like Geroy Simon "walk."

They made contract offers to try to keep him but Willy turned them down.

Very high doesn't magically make Willy our first or even second choice. If he was our obvious 1st choice, there'd be no reason to even give Burris an offer nor to give Collaros an offer that's rumoured to be higher than the one he accepted in Hamilton.

(KYLE WALTERS, GM of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, is wandering through the desert. He is clearly in bad shape, his clothing is in tatters, he is sunburned, his lips are cracked, his eyes are swollen shut from the constant barrage of sand and the brutal sun. He is limping and his footprints are smeared with blood from his bare feet. Following Walters is JADE ETIENNE. Etienne is wearing a chain collar and Walters is holding his leash.)

SUBTITLE: January 2014.

(Enter ZACH COLLAROS, wearing a crisp safari suit, riding on a well-bred two-hump camel.)

COLLAROS: Hello, Kyle Walters! How would you like to buy a ride out of this desert?

WALTERS (coughing sand) No. I would prefer to have Drew Willy bring me out of this desert. He has a helicopter!

COLLAROS: Suit yourself.

KENT AUSTIN (offscreen, angry): Hey, Collaros! Over here!

(Collaros rides off. Enter HENRY BURRIS, who is smiling. He is driving a land rover. It is an old land rover with not a lot of tread left on its tires, but its air conditioning still works.)

BURRIS: Hey Walters, you want me to drive you out of here?

WALTERS: What? I'm sorry, I was too busy pissing blood to hear what you said.

BURRIS: You need a ride out?

WALTERS: No. Drew Willy will be along shortly to pick me up.

(enter MARCEL DESJARDINS. He floats down on a parachute made of money. Burris and Desjardins embrace and wander off together.)

WALTERS (stumbling forward.) Drew Willy? Are you out there?

(enter BRENDAN TAMAN being carried upon a litter by the BEST FANS IN CANADA)

TAMAN: Hello Walters.

WALTERS: Brendan! Thank God you're here! I want to have a talk with Drew Willy. (Walters rattles Etienne's chain). I'll give you Jade here if you let me talk to him. Jade's put on a bunch of weight! He'll be good eatin'!

TAMAN: Sorry, bro, I've just traded Willy's rights to BC.

(Off in the distance, we see Wally Buono climbing aboard Drew Willy's shiny new helicopter)

WALTERS: (anguished) Noooooo!

(Walters collapses into the sand. When he looks up, he sees BRIAN BROHM. Brohm is walking a bicycle with no back wheel.

WALTERS: I suppose you'll have to do.

Close on Brohm pushing Walters through the desert. Walters is on the handlebars of Brohm's bike. Above them, vultures circle.

Geroy went to the NFL, he didn't walk. Unless you count Taman not resigning him when he returned and oh cutting Troy Mills or Eric Blount.

Exactly. They made a choice to not really pursue retaining a player. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but a choice was made much like Saskatchewan chose to keep Durant knowing Willy would pursue an opportunity to start.

Geroy went to the NFL, he didn't walk. Unless you count Taman not resigning him when he returned and oh cutting Troy Mills or Eric Blount.

Exactly. They made a choice to not really pursue retaining a player. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but a choice was made much like Saskatchewan chose to keep Durant knowing Willy would pursue an opportunity to start.

Durant was the proven commodity. It was the right decision at the time. 

Fair enough

The reason we are so set at QB is because they let Willy walk. He was stuck behind Durrant sure but he was leagues ahead of the guys behind him (even tho many claimed sunseri and the other guy were much better).. Their gaffe has been our benefit and I can't be happier lol.

For waaaaay too long the shoe has been on the other foot. I know our depth is still paper thin but still feels very good to know our starter IS starter material and tough as nails to boot..

True that - but regardless, when are WE going to start getting our own quarterbacks and not have to rely on other teams castoffs. Don't forget, for every Willy there's a Lefors, Glenn, Brohm, TJ Rubley, etc. Not that I wish ill will on Willy - though I still need to see him playing in October like he is now before I anoint him the next Bomber QB - I would just like to see us recruit and develop our own Qb for once. If/when Willy goes down again, we got nothing. 

The reason we are so set at QB is because they let Willy walk. He was stuck behind Durrant sure but he was leagues ahead of the guys behind him (even tho many claimed sunseri and the other guy were much better).. Their gaffe has been our benefit and I can't be happier lol.

For waaaaay too long the shoe has been on the other foot. I know our depth is still paper thin but still feels very good to know our starter IS starter material and tough as nails to boot..

True that - but regardless, when are WE going to start getting our own quarterbacks and not have to rely on other teams castoffs. Don't forget, for every Willy there's a Lefors, Glenn, Brohm, TJ Rubley, etc. Not that I wish ill will on Willy - though I still need to see him playing in October like he is now before I anoint him the next Bomber QB - I would just like to see us recruit and develop our own Qb for once. If/when Willy goes down again, we got nothing. 

That's the most frustrating part about Brohm...  31 year old journeyman is not 'developing' anything.

Would much rather see Marve and Davis as 2 and 3 with a young talent at 4th

Really though in the CFL there are a ton of QBs that are developed on one team that blossemed for another, AC but just one example of a huge list.Really I don't care and I give Kudos to Walters and Danny Mac for getting us our best Qb since a healthy Buck who was another castoff for us.☺

That's the most frustrating part about Brohm... 31 year old journeyman is not 'developing' anything.

Would much rather see Marve and Davis as 2 and 3 with a young talent at 4th

Your number 2 guy is not for developing. Although I get your point, if we are developing Marve, 3rd string it is

The Riders probably made the right decision to let Willy walk- who could have predicted Durant tearing his Achilles tendon by taking a short step? Moreover, Sunseri did show some promise last year in spite of flushing his career this season. From my point of view, and I am sure Walters is breathlessly awaiting it, in an ideal world, you want a #2 QB who is good enough to step in on a moment's notice and a young development project QB.

The Riders probably made the right decision to let Willy walk- who could have predicted Durant tearing his Achilles tendon by taking a short step?

yeah hind-sight is always 20-20. Willy wanted to start, but he's not going to beat out Durant. Such is how the cookie crumbles. Durant stays healthy this year and the Riders are probably 3-3 right now.

yeah, I don't think it's a super tough decision between 2014 Durant and 2014 Willy. On one hand, you've got a proven championship-calibre QB who can do some things better than any other CFL QB, who has never suffered a serious injury, and who should have a number of years left on his odometer. On the other hand you've got a promising guy who has won a couple games and looked decent doing it.

How did the Riders not let Willy walk? They chose to keep Durant as their starter and not give Willy the money or opportunity. They didn't try to keep him. That's letting him walk IMO, similar to how the Bombers let a guy like Geroy Simon "walk."

They made contract offers to try to keep him but Willy turned them down.

As far as what I have read, no contract offer was ever made to Willy. He was not in our plans. I liked drew and wished things could have been different but it is what it is.

Willy and Durant was an easy choice and the Riders made the right one without the benefit of hindsight.

The Collaros/Ray decision is the one that should be further discussed IMO.

Anyone that even suggests keeping Willy over Durant at that moment in time is flat out lying or doesn't follow football. One could only imagine however the qb controversy that would have ensued here if Willy was still here last year. would have been a doozy 

Let's just remember that we're one hit... one injury away from Brian Brohm being our starter. The way O'Shea thinks that scares the hell out of me.

We are only 2 hits from Marve starting though :)

3 hits and we get Joey Elliott starting again!

That's every team however. Its just the way it is. Its one of those cross that bridge when you come to it moments