Bombers Practice -- Injury Updates

Noeller

Worrying about goossen already...

Priceless!!

Pencer was crapped on immediately. I'm just pointing out the bit of hypocrisy that exists.

You don't see any other differences in their situations?

What's different? Both high draft picks that were a reach taken as high as they were and neither one was able to solidify a roster spot, except  one had a lot of injury excuses at least.

Oh, so that's where he went with it.

How about:

Goossen - taken #2, ranked #4 in o-linemen (#2 for those GMs thought wouldn't bolt to the NFL) and #9 overall, was 3 year conference all-star and captain of his college team heading into draft, no injury history from college or attitude issues to worry about that we know of, played in 15 games and started 3 in his first year, missed 3 games to injury last year before this year's injury woes at the start of camp in just his 2nd season.

Pencer - Taken #3, ranked #6 among o-lineman and not even ranked overall on some draft projections, had serious injury concerns from his college days (both shoulders messed up and caused him to miss significant playing time in university football), walked away from one football program midstream for "personal" reasons, got hurt in practice pretty much right away, one start and 6 or so games on roster before being cut, picked up by Edmonton in may and cut by June this year having seen no action in his 4th season.

And since your gripe is more about Mack not getting cut the same slack, Pencer wasn't his one-off in draft errors. His draft history of off-the-board Etienne, out-of-position Aprile, and never-going-to-see-the-CFL-anyway Mulumba gave him a lot less leeway to make a mistake when he got outplayed for Westerman and then begged people to believe that Pencer was his plan all along in trading up so he wouldn't have to admit he got schooled.

If you want to (still repeatedly) defend Joe Mack, there are better ways to do it than by touting his draft record. Actually, there may not be a better way to defend Mack job-performance-wise, but I doubt there are many worse ways to do it.

actually this is less about defending Mack and more about arguing the idea that Kyle Walters is some kind of draft guru. Chung looks like a good pick but other than that which draft picks of his have really made an impact? It seems that being not Joe Mack is enough for people to think Walters is the greatest thing ever. 

No one is making the argument that Walters is a draft guru. Neither were you.Your argument was that Mack wasn't cut as much slack for an injury-prone developing draft choice. The counter-argument is that Walters doesn't have the repeated history of screwing up like Mack did...yet. If he does, I'm sure the knives will come out on this board as they always do. And if the baseline standard for greatness as a GM is Joe Mack, then the bar to be "the greatest" really isn't set too high, now is it?

Worrying about goossen already...

Priceless!!

Pencer was crapped on immediately. I'm just pointing out the bit of hypocrisy that exists. Walters gets so many free passes by some people and the previous GM got raked over the coals for any little thing 

see your love affair with Mack hasn't lost its luster  :P

just heard on the radio today, cjob, upper deck show, (Kennerd and Cameron guests, great program) that Lirim, and Bucknor, were both undrafted,

both found and signed by Walters. 

Trevor Kennard had high praise for Lirim.

I knee lirim wasn't but bucknor is quite impressive fer undrafted..

I like the possibility that at times in the game Sliding Bass in the middle with Randle and Burnett outside. See what that does with the defence especially with another game under Collins belt to be in better game shape. I know the coaching staff are saying all the right things with Hurl and the Blue aren't in the business of tossing guys under bus publicly but after watching him the first part of the year I am not sold, and not sure he will ever develop into a full-time starter. Just doesn't have it, and from what I see doesn't have the natural instincts, nor reacts well to whats developing, has to take time to process and think and it hinders him in making impact plays

I like the possibility that at times in the game Sliding Bass in the middle with Randle and Burnett outside. See what that does with the defence especially with another game under Collins belt to be in better game shape. I know the coaching staff are saying all the right things with Hurl and the Blue aren't in the business of tossing guys under bus publicly but after watching him the first part of the year I am not sold, and not sure he will ever develop into a full-time starter. Just doesn't have it, and from what I see doesn't have the natural instincts, nor reacts well to whats developing, has to take time to process and think and it hinders him in making impact plays

Interesting...that's the opposite of what MOS thinks about him. He has said it more than once.

just heard on the radio today, cjob, upper deck show, (Kennerd and Cameron guests, great program) that Lirim, and Bucknor, were both undrafted,

both found and signed by Walters. 

Trevor Kennard had high praise for Lirim. 

Lirim was found by Walters, but Bucknor was a CFL veteran who had many starts before he became a Bomber.