Does Burke Last the Year?

Okay, let's face the facts: this team is terrible and is basically out of playoff contention after losing the series with Hamilton.

A back to back hammering at the hands of SK and we'll be 1-9. If you haven't turned out the lights on this season yet, surely that will do it.

So many scenarios though.

Everyone knows a new GM will want his coach. Does firing Burke now and promoting MB to interim solve anything except confuse the players even more? Ditto firing Creehan. Sure, Burke can DC better than Creehan, but what does it accomplish with the year already a write off?

I say Wade/Walters should turn this into full player audition mode. Trade what we can for some younger NI potential. Dump any aging vets that aren't performing. Get ready for the Offseason so the new GM can actually build on something. 

What's the point in auditioning players when the team is being coached by an absolute moron?

It's not like they're going to be able to perform at a high level.

Exactly, it's not a fair evaluation for the players when the coaching is this poor. 

But then who coaches?

If you fire Burke and Creehan, who comes in at HC and who comes in at DC? Would they -- at this stage of the season -- actually be any better leaders/teachers in order to help audition for next season?

If you fire Burke and Crowton you have to replace them with someone.

They are doing the right thing by having Burke coach out the year. Candidates will be much better in the off-season, and it should be the new GM that chooses a coach. Let's do it right this time FFS.

Hiring a new HC for the remaining games would just cause more instability and also gives the 'interim' guy an automatic advantage for the full-time job. When was the last time you saw an interim coach not get the permanent gig? 

Let's start with a clean slate in the off-season and just have a beer and laugh through the rest of this one.

They are doing the right thing by having Burke coach out the year. Candidates will be much better in the off-season, and it should be the new GM that chooses a coach. Let's do it right this time FFS.

Hiring a new HC for the remaining games would just cause more instability and also gives the 'interim' guy an automatic advantage for the full-time job. When was the last time you saw an interim coach not get the permanent gig? 

Let's start with a clean slate in the off-season and just have a beer and laugh through the rest of this one.

you don't have to hire the interm guy the next year, that's just a thing that the bombers do cause they're cheap and lazy. at this point losing Burke is in my mind addition by subtraction. The team is already a mess and it was a mess from the get go. They're rolling over and dying every week anyway things won't get worse. 

Hard to evaluate a HC when the talent level is so poor.  LaPo was making Chicken Salad so I guess we can say he was pretty good at the position.

Let the season go, flush it away along with the memories of joe.......Well the season will be easy to forget anyways.

Hopefully we get a real re-build next time.

So that means Miller & Walters are here to stay then. Miller, I'm okay  with. Walters I'm not.

So that means Miller & Walters are here to stay then. Miller, I'm okay  with. Walters I'm not.

I never said that ... it could be that both Miller & Walters are replaced in the offseason as well. I would be completely indifferent to that happening - whatever is the best for the future of the team.

steps:

a) Board either finds a new CEO or hire Miller full time. I don't know which is best, but I suspect unless something goes horribly wrong it will still be Miller time.  

'b) CEO hires a full time GM. Whether that is Walters is up to him, but I hope they do a thorough search and hire the best guy available (hint: It's Higgins).

c) Higgins new GM hires head coach of his choice, with no bias to whoever is left at the end of the year, interim or otherwise.

d) New HC hires his staff.

e) Plan Grey Cup parade route.

I just hope that by the time we get to 'b) Walters hasn't traded away our little bit of talent for Russ Michna 2.0.

Firing Burke is just a foregone conclusion.  Burke is here in body only, his mind and soul left weeks ago.

you can tell he knows it by all the excuse making he's done since Mack was fired. The whole "crowton is picking qbs" to "doing the best with that I have" and all the rest. He's a dead man walking desperately trying to save his own hide while the team crumbles around him. How long until the players give up completely if they haven't already? How ugly is THAT going to be?

Firing Burke is just a foregone conclusion.  Burke is here in body only, his mind and soul left weeks ago.

you can tell he knows it by all the excuse making he's done since Mack was fired. The whole "crowton is picking qbs" to "doing the best with that I have" and all the rest. He's a dead man walking desperately trying to save his own hide while the team crumbles around him. How long until the players give up completely if they haven't already? How ugly is THAT going to be?

Wait, you think they haven't?

I think we have to keep Burke for a few more games if not the rest of the season... Miller needs some time to find a GM and scout potential candidates...

Creehan should go now though... Burke can be HC/DC, maybe he'll decide that DC was a better fit for him and we could at least get some value for the $$ Mack has committed

I 'm not sure how so called potential candidates get scouted now? Anybody that the experts here mention are working for other teams. No other team is going to let any one talk to people in their organization until the end of the season. That might be after the grey cup depending who is in it.

I 'm not sure how so called potential candidates get scouted now? Anybody that the experts here mention are working for other teams. No other team is going to let any one talk to people in their organization until the end of the season. That might be after the grey cup depending who is in it.

What part of Miller needs time didn't you get?

We can't fire Burke right now because there really aren't a ton of guys that could come in...

I did suggest Mark Nelson as about the only possibility right now as Montreal is (or at least was) in a state of flux so maybe Popp would  agree to let Nelson talk... 

That being said, what you think Miller and Walters will just be sitting around until the grey cup before even thinking about replacements?  Official phone calls will begin as soon as teams are eliminated... unofficial scouting, sniffin' around is already underway...  lots of stuff happens in the CFL under the radar - ask Chris Jones.

Wait, you think they haven't?

well it's sort of a scary thought, but what if they haven't?