TSN broadcasting the Bomber game now?

No I know what the post was saying, but the point remains the same. People want to be able to watch tv without paying for tv. 

I know what you're saying but your definition of what constitutes "tv" is outdated and a little too broad.  There is no such thing as "free" TV anymore as the broadcast signals available to antenna have been virtually cut off.  Everyone that wants to access  broadcast media has to pay for cable or an Internet connection at least.

Why is it too broad? It is what it is. Content providers are free to choose their delivery methods and set the price points they want. This gives consumers 2 choices. Either accept the delivery model and pay for it at the price point they set or do without. 

It's up to the "industry" to adjust. Not the consumers. Consumers consume...generally they will want it at the best price. And nothing beats free! So unless the industry adjusts and gives the consumer what they want, they'll continue to get it as best they can. (See music industry) In this case stream it online for free, rather than paying at least $70 a month for a bunch of crap they don't really want.

This poster is a part of a growing population (myself included) who don't pay for cable because they already pay for internet, and everything is available online. Some for a smaller fee, others for free.

The more you say, providers choose what we get. The older/more out of touch you sound. Cable is dying. Streaming is the future. Give us streams!

I also hate cable but I don't see how you can get "everything" without stealing. I know it is common for people to steal music and steal movies but how do you steal live sports channels. I have seen stolen sports streaming content and it sucked. And you know stealing is still stealing even everybody does it. I know the intellectual content that I generate is only useful to a limited number of people but I would not be happy if my work was used by someone else at no cost.

I enjoy netflix but I am not getting live sports content there just so you know I am not against streaming just illegal streaming.  

For those feeling sympathy for the big networks, 

I seem to recall that in the sixties the cable companies divided up cities, to eliminate competition. On one side of the river was one company, on the other side, was another. No choice whatsoever.

also, Globe and Mail

"Here’s the story. On Thursday, five local TV stations in the U.S. announced they are asking authorities in Ottawa to correct a longstanding practice that gives cable, satellite, and Internet TV operators in Canada the right to grab their signals with an antenna and then distribute them to viewers without any compensation to the stations. This is actually the business model that built the Canadian cable industry: taking something free out of the air and then sending it into millions of customers’ living rooms at a hefty mark-up."

The changing media landscape isn't a Winnipeg thing, it's global.

The music industry was on its way to dying when Napster came out and people started downloading music for free. It wasn't until Apple made it "cool" (and affordable, and most importantly, simple) to buy digital music that people became comfortable paying for something many had been getting for free. There are always going to be people trying to get every piece of software/media/etc. for free if they can get away with it, but most people would be happy to pay for things if a] the price matches what they feel is the value; and b] is equally easy or even easier to get than doing so "illegally".

Live sports is something that is keeping many people attached to their cable TV plans, even if they only watch a couple of their 4000 channels for a few hours a week otherwise. But with the amount of money TSN is giving to the CFL, what incentive would the CFL have to start offering a "live stream" package that can allow you to watch games without cable? Sure, in the short-term, it might keep some fans happy. But TSN would be losing customers, its parent company Bell would be losing cable subscribers, and the money the CFL would be making directly from fans would not make up for how much it would piss off their media partner (at least in the current landscape).

The free market of media is definitely skewed in Canada with the limited number of large companies owning the bulk of our communications and media options (mobile/phone, internet, cable, TV channels, radio stations, and production). Costs are inflated across the board because they can get away with it, as it's near impossible for a competitive product to come in and drive the prices down. We have some of the worst cell phone packages (prices vs. service) in the developed world, and some of the highest cable/internet fees. I don't blame people for getting sick of how expensive it has become to be "connected", something that's almost a requirement in today's day and age. (I can think of only one friend who manages to mostly stay out of this whole mess -- they have no cell phone, a decent internet package, a home phone, and a Netflix account, and that's it.

ETA: God, that was meandering. I won't delete it, but apologies to those that actually get through it. :P

This thread is starting to reek of another "It's cool to be cheap because we're Winnipeggers!" thing.......

Contrary to popular belief. Being "cheap" isn't a Winnipeg thing. It's pretty much an "anyone with limited income" thing.

Ya, starting to really irk me how this is trying to be drawn back to something unique to Winnipeg. People like free things. 

This isn't even about that though. Its about what people are willing to pay for the product they're getting. For 8 bucks I get a ton of value from my Netflix account, both from original and older programming. I'm more than willing to pay because I think its well worth it. If you pay attention to TV trends, clearly this isn't just me or Winnipeg either, as Canada as a whole continues to shift towards streaming (legally and illegally). People don't want to pay for cable because the value is disproportionate to what you're paying. This pushes people to search for alternative options.

Back to football, the CFL is losing out on a revenue stream in my opinion. Every major sports league has its own online viewing option, some which make more sense than others. I'd be willing to pay for streaming and/or an app. 

No I know what the post was saying, but the point remains the same. People want to be able to watch tv without paying for tv. 

I know what you're saying but your definition of what constitutes "tv" is outdated and a little too broad.  There is no such thing as "free" TV anymore as the broadcast signals available to antenna have been virtually cut off.  Everyone that wants to access  broadcast media has to pay for cable or an Internet connection at least.

Why is it too broad? It is what it is. Content providers are free to choose their delivery methods and set the price points they want. This gives consumers 2 choices. Either accept the delivery model and pay for it at the price point they set or do without. 

It's up to the "industry" to adjust. Not the consumers. Consumers consume...generally they will want it at the best price. And nothing beats free! So unless the industry adjusts and gives the consumer what they want, they'll continue to get it as best they can. (See music industry) In this case stream it online for free, rather than paying at least $70 a month for a bunch of crap they don't really want.

This poster is a part of a growing population (myself included) who don't pay for cable because they already pay for internet, and everything is available online. Some for a smaller fee, others for free.

The more you say, providers choose what we get. The older/more out of touch you sound. Cable is dying. Streaming is the future. Give us streams!

I also hate cable but I don't see how you can get "everything" without stealing. I know it is common for people to steal music and steal movies but how do you steal live sports channels. I have seen stolen sports streaming content and it sucked. And you know stealing is still stealing even everybody does it. I know the intellectual content that I generate is only useful to a limited number of people but I would not be happy if my work was used by someone else at no cost.

I enjoy netflix but I am not getting live sports content there just so you know I am not against streaming just illegal streaming.  

I'd suggest, if you don't want something stolen and used without permission, don't put it online.

And generally streaming sports does suck. Which is why it would be great if there was an option to pay for online CFL streams that were HD :)

This thread is starting to reek of another "It's cool to be cheap because we're Winnipeggers!" thing.......

Contrary to popular belief. Being "cheap" isn't a Winnipeg thing. It's pretty much an "anyone with limited income" thing.

Back to football, the CFL is losing out on a revenue stream in my opinion. Every major sports league has its own online viewing option, some which make more sense than others. I'd be willing to pay for streaming and/or an app. 

Yes, the more I think about it, I would totally pay to subscribe to a CFL streaming show/programs type deal. Like an NFL channel type of deal

I'd suggest, if you don't want something stolen and used without permission, don't put it online.

And generally streaming sports does suck. Which is why it would be great if there was an option to pay for online CFL streams that were HD :)

No kidding, last year I missed out on at least 10 minutes of every game frantically scrambling to find the most reliable stream.  I'd happily pay TSN for access to their streams without the cable tie-in just to avoid the hassle. 

The Canadian business establishment was built on rules of collusion to supply quality goods and services to a huge, sparsely populated country.  In today's global economy protectionism of markets is slowly being eroded and as that occurs more and more of these companies will be bought out by foreign multi-nationals that dwarf Canadian companies in scale.

According to the morningbigblue twitter stream, the Riders are saying they are streaming their game tomorrow night.  

Great, that ties the Bombers for last place in the media dept. with the rest of the laggards behind Hamilton and the Riders.  Don't want to blame Darren Cameron solely....but I will, as he is the only media representative for the Bombers I know of but his recent blog update was reminiscent of content that could have been presented in the 1980's.  Time to step up the presentation Big Blue, providing a handful of interviews and no actual footage of TC is inadequate imo.

Soooo I don't have time to read through all of this.  Is the game online or on TV anywhere tonight?  I have season Tix and we somehow managed to book my sons Bday for tonight and can't make the game :( I was hoping to PVR if it was on TV or find a stream after.  If not It'll be CJOB during the bday party lmao...

Atta boy

gbill asked Drew Edwards about his streaming comment and Edwards said "Stadium in transition from women's world cup to cfl mode. lots of technical challenges to make it work."

Glad to hear it's a WWC-related thing and not something to do with IGF, in general...

another reason to strongly dislike soccer.

or just watch 1 game.