Coyotes In Trouble Again?

Not surprising at all.

If it weren't for Mr. Hansen's exclusive agreement with Seattle, I could have seen them move there, but Las Vegas Nevada seems for likely.

Doubt they got to Vegas when that guy there is willing to spend money on expansion, Seattle is possible if an arena deal gets worked out, i suppose they could play out of key arena or whatever its called for a year or 2 or 3. 

This needs to end soon and i think it will, i've also read some interesting reports saying the coyotes might move to Phoenix actually, yeah it sounds crazy but... apparently the suns are building a new arena or something and the owner of that arena wants a tennant there, Sounds crazy but you could very well see the Glendale Coyotes move to Phoenix. Doubtful but it wouldn't surprise me one bit, NHL wants to make arizona work and they will do whatever it takes to make it work. 

Seattle does not look like a likely destination for any NHL team in the near term. We have a plan for an arena south of downtown, but that plan requires an NBA team and there's no NBA team to put in it. If an NHL team ever did come to Seattle, it would exist to merely complement the financials of an NBA team.

On top of that, there is no huge enthusiasm for the NHL in the moneyed or political classes here. Hell, I don't even know if there's a fanbase for NHL hockey here.

I've heard that there are plans for hockey-first arenas out in the suburbs of Bellevue or Tukwilla but those are in the very very early stages at this point.

Seattle does not look like a likely destination for any NHL team in the near term. We have a plan for an arena south of downtown, but that plan requires an NBA team and there's no NBA team to put in it. If an NHL team ever did come to Seattle, it would exist to merely complement the financials of an NBA team.

On top of that, there is no huge enthusiasm for the NHL in the moneyed or political classes here. Hell, I don't even know if there's a fanbase for NHL hockey here.

I've heard that there are plans for hockey-first arenas out in the suburbs of Bellevue or Tukwilla but those are in the very very early stages at this point.

What do the T-Birds draw for junior games?  What arena do they play out of?  The Kelowna Rockets started out as the Tacoma Rockets, and apparently they played in the 22,000 seat Tacoma Dome, but apparently it was a terrible venue for hockey.   The Tacoma Rockets didn't draw well so they moved the team here, and it's done phenomenally well here.  Anyway, not sure hockey would work in Seattle.  I wouldn't want to try it anyway.

The Tacoma Dome is a terrible venue for just about anything. :)

The T-Birds draw between 2-6K a game. They play in Showare Center in suburban Kent, about 15 miles south of downtown, which is a great little junior hockey arena, we have a great time every time we go down there. Even the hot dogs are tasty.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an NHL team here, as long as someone else was paying for it, and as long as they were called the Metropolitans, and as long as they wore these classic sweaters: http://www.ebbets.com/product/seattle-metropolitans-1917-authentic-hockey-sweater/HockeySweaters . There's this guy that wears one to T-Birds games and they're even more epic-looking in real life.

The Tacoma Dome is a terrible venue for just about anything. :)

The T-Birds draw between 2-6K a game. They play in Showare Center in suburban Kent, about 15 miles south of downtown, which is a great little junior hockey arena, we have a great time every time we go down there. Even the hot dogs are tasty.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an NHL team here, as long as someone else was paying for it, and as long as they were called the Metropolitans, and as long as they wore these classic sweaters: http://www.ebbets.com/product/seattle-metropolitans-1917-authentic-hockey-sweater/HockeySweaters . There's this guy that wears one to T-Birds games and they're even more epic-looking in real life.

I hear that the potential $500 million expansion fee is a slight obstacle for a Seattle NHL team as well.  Question, how does the NHL come up with $500 million as an expansion fee?  Most NHL teams' $$$ worth doesn't reach $500 mil.  

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Seattle had an NBA team

I thought Seattle had an NBA team

They had a team - the Supersonics - but they were moved to Oklahoma City in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

What a mess:

Coyotes part owner Anthony LeBlanc said that sponsorship revenue was up fourfold this season, season ticket sales for next season are up as well and that it's been "shameful" that the team has had to navigate the controversy.

In a statement released Tuesday night after Glendale posted the notice about the meeting, LeBlanc wrote: "This action by the city of Glendale is completely ludicrous," and the city is, "displaying complete lack of good faith, business acumen or an understanding of a business partnership."

What a clown this guy is.  He is right though...he's a way better business person than Glendale since he didnt put any money into this pit.

LeBlanc said in the interview with NBC Sports Radio 1060 that some councilors confirmed to team officials that financial terms of the deal were discussed during that meeting - even though Arizona state law prohibits anyone who attends those meetings from discussing what is said during them. It's unclear whether the Arizona state's attorney office is aware of LeBlanc's comments.

lol So Councillors could actually be prosecuted. 

At what point will the NHL wash their hands of this?  If Glendale pulls their financial commitment, that will be the end.  Does anyone miss the days of Winnipeg hockey fans waiting with baited breath for every bit of news to come out of Arizona?  We were watching live streams of city council meetings.  The infamous "15 minutes away" when a hastily called press conference was set up at MTSC one night...only to have it yanked away from us.  I remember their former Mayor complaining about having to buy her own pencils and suggesting police use their own personal vehicles for work to save money,....and then demanding council hand over cash to the Coyotes.  What a joke.

What a mess:

Coyotes part owner Anthony LeBlanc said that sponsorship revenue was up fourfold this season, season ticket sales for next season are up as well and that it's been "shameful" that the team has had to navigate the controversy.

In a statement released Tuesday night after Glendale posted the notice about the meeting, LeBlanc wrote: "This action by the city of Glendale is completely ludicrous," and the city is, "displaying complete lack of good faith, business acumen or an understanding of a business partnership."

What a clown this guy is.  He is right though...he's a way better business person than Glendale since he didnt put any money into this pit.

LeBlanc said in the interview with NBC Sports Radio 1060 that some councilors confirmed to team officials that financial terms of the deal were discussed during that meeting - even though Arizona state law prohibits anyone who attends those meetings from discussing what is said during them. It's unclear whether the Arizona state's attorney office is aware of LeBlanc's comments.

lol So Councillors could actually be prosecuted. 

At what point will the NHL wash their hands of this?  If Glendale pulls their financial commitment, that will be the end.  Does anyone miss the days of Winnipeg hockey fans waiting with baited breath for every bit of news to come out of Arizona?  We were watching live streams of city council meetings.  The infamous "15 minutes away" when a hastily called press conference was set up at MTSC one night...only to have it yanked away from us.  I remember their former Mayor complaining about having to buy her own pencils and suggesting police use their own personal vehicles for work to save money,....and then demanding council hand over cash to the Coyotes.  What a joke.

Not really,since we do have our own team again, the team never should have moved to Arizona in the first place, I wouldn't have minded if it went to a northern place like in Wisconsin or even Indiana (even though they care more about football there)

This might even have been the NHL's end game.  They desperately needed the Coyotes to stay in Arizona at the time.  Thats why they were 15 minutes away from coming here and probably why Quebec has been buttered up.  Winnipeg was a soft landing spot, if not ideal, for the Yotes or Thrashers.  If the Yotes moved here, it meant Quebec probably gets the Thrashers because that team was gone one way or another. 

Bettman is smart.  No way he figured Glendale would eat this forever.  And no way was anyone going to buy the team and eat losses forever.  It was all about delaying the inevitable until a soft landing could be found, making it appear they did everything they could to save the team, and throwing up a hail mary for a TV deal that might make the team viable.

Havent heard any talk of the NHL attending tonight's council session like they did in the past.  I suspect this is simple: keep the deal = keep the team, break the deal = team is gone.  Black & white.

This might even have been the NHL's end game.  They desperately needed the Coyotes to stay in Arizona at the time.  Thats why they were 15 minutes away from coming here and probably why Quebec has been buttered up.  Winnipeg was a soft landing spot, if not ideal, for the Yotes or Thrashers.  If the Yotes moved here, it meant Quebec probably gets the Thrashers because that team was gone one way or another. 

Bettman is smart.  No way he figured Glendale would eat this forever.  And no way was anyone going to buy the team and eat losses forever.  It was all about delaying the inevitable until a soft landing could be found, making it appear they did everything they could to save the team, and throwing up a hail mary for a TV deal that might make the team viable.

Havent heard any talk of the NHL attending tonight's council session like they did in the past.  I suspect this is simple: keep the deal = keep the team, break the deal = team is gone.  Black & white.

if Bettman was smart, then the team wouldn't be in Arizona in the first place