Coyotes In Trouble Again?

Definitely the NBA would do better in Vegas but thats why the NHL wants in there.  Be first.  All focus on the NHL team.  I think if I went to Vegas and there was a game I didnt want to see but my hotel gave me comps or I won them or they were 2 for 1 or some other marketing gimmick, I might.  I agree in principle but remember its a very small percentage of the 3 million tourists you need to go to a game.  I think it could become the cool thing to do.  I love Vegas so Im pulling for them.

Well a whole bunch of Vegas tourists are Asians...most are Americans and Canadians.. I just don't think people would choose NHL over Cirque or whatever megastar is at MGM..

I could see a Vegas franchise absolutely tanking like the CFL in Vegas.

at this rate, I don't really care if the coyotes end up in Quebec City, they should go to a place where people will appreciate them, and that the right people get involved. They are good players, but I wish I could say the same for soap opera that is ongoing, at this rate it could last longer than Guiding Light (and it only lasted for what seventy something years?)

Glendale beginning to explore booking acts into the arena this fall.  They now feel there is no arena agreement and thus the Coyotes have nowhere to play this upcoming season.  Very interesting.

Its all a game.  So Glendale is trying to force the Coyotes to renegotiate a better lease deal.  Coyotes will simply go to court and seek an injunction to allow them to continue under the terms of the lease and then get the heck out in 2016.

I wonder if they'd consider making a deal to play in PHX this season...

Houston should be considered for a team. I think its the 4th largest city In USA. Rivaly with Dallas.

Quebec City would be an easy win but that Separatist owner won't cut it with a lof of people.

LV has the advantage of not having to compete with NBA or NFL like Seattle.

Coyotes could stay if they just balanced their budget.

An Arizona Coyotes fan got to take out her frustration on the mayor behind the decision to send the hockey team packing.

KPNX-TV reports that disgruntled fan Ronda Pearson used a stun gun on Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers on Saturday as part of a charity pledge.

Weiers volunteered to be stunned with a Taser at the mall event if a $10,000 donation was made to an Arizona charity that supports first-responders.

Firefighters determined Weiers was not injured.

Organizers say Pearson and another Coyotes fan showed up with a $10,000 money order.

Weiers and the Glendale City Council voted Wednesday to end an arena lease agreement with the Coyotes. A judge on Friday temporarily halted its termination.

Pearson gained attention on social media for a public rant directed at Weiers.

• 3 weeks later...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Bill Daly on NY Post report regarding Coyotes moving to Vegas: ``The most ridiculous and irresponsible story I have ever been ... (con't)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ``... associated with. Has never been contemplated or discussed. Not even notionally.'' end quote

From New York post (a lot of specifics for a completely untrue story)

Sin City is getting hockey, two sources close to the situation told The Post.

The NHL is arranging the sale of the Arizona Coyotes to billionaire William Foley who will move the team to Las Vegas giving it its first major professional franchise, one source said.

“Las Vegas has reached 10,000 season ticket deposits,” enough to justify a franchise, the other source said.

Foley said in January that he needed 10,000 ticket deposits to get an NHL team.

Foley will move them for the 2016-17 season, the source said. The Post last year was the first to report Foley was backing a Vegas franchise.

MGM Resorts and arena operator AEG are building a 20,000 seat hockey-ready arena in Las Vegas that is slated to open in spring 2016.

A Coyotes spokesman said, “The Coyotes are committed to playing in Arizona.” When asked for how long, the spokesman reiterated it was committed to playing in Arizona. “Period.” Arizona last year ranked 28th in attendance.

Meanwhile, the City Council in Glendale, Ariz., last month voted to terminate its lease agreement that expires in 2028 that has the city paying the team $15 million a year for a share of revenue.

The NHL is also eyeing expansion franchises in the Toronto and Seattle areas for the 2017-18 season, a source said.

The NHL announced it was accepting applications for expansion franchises from July 6 until Aug. 10.

Former Bauer Hockey Chairman Graeme Roustan is the lead person putting together a Toronto-area expansion team bid.

The NHL denied the story.

Foley and Roustan did not return calls.

• 4 weeks later...

Coyotes blogger:

UPDATE: The details are out and it seems that the original 15 year deal is now a two year deal, the five year out-clause has been removed (although, since the deal is over in two years, that is probably irrelevant) and the city doesn't have to pay $15 million to the Coyotes, but will instead pay $6.5 and let the Coyotes take the revenue (Which doesn't add up to $15, so you can see why the city was not a fan of this deal).

Seems like a good deal for the city, when you consider how smug the Coyotes seemed about their voting to cancel the lease in the first place. I did not think it was anything more than political grandstanding, even after becoming aware of the tax burden placed on the residents of the city from John Oliver, I still did think anything more would happen other than the NHL crushing them in court.

For almost 20 years this team has lost money, big money. Team should have been moved years ago but that would tarnish somebody's legacy.

The Jets 1.0 have lost money consistently since 1971.

If i remember correctly the jets did not control anything associated with the building. Also with all the revenue streams available to this team they should have made money by now. They papered the building from the time they got to glendale making it look like they were doing good business. But even with some of the lowest tickets in the nhl they only fill the building unless chicago or detroit show up. Since going to glendale they have had numerous ownership changes and still nothing. They are an drain on the nhl and the sooner the nhl moves them to a better market the better for the league. There tv contract pays them nothing and their viewership is nill.