Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Wrestlingobserver:

Sting's injury was legitimate and we're trying to get more information on it.  The early reports we have is that the injury was significant.

Also, word is its a neck injury.

It did look legit.  I didn't think he would finish the match to be honest.  But good on him for toughing it out... however this is the risk with a guy who is that old.  Just far more prone to injury.

Yeah, look at Kevin Nash.  Blew his quad simply by *walking* in his first match back in WWE.

Remember when McMahon tore both his quads entering the ring?

Yup.  That was ridiculous.  Even moreso since Cena & Batista blew the finish, otherwise he wasnt going to be down there anyway.

It was a knee but he didn't throw any knees the last two shows. Lol

The buckle bomb is generally safe but by that point in the night Seth was exhausted and having trouble holding sting aloft. And sting hasnt wrestled much. When you work every night your body gets used to bumping. But when you don't it feels worse.

But the sting injury was just one of those things. Guys of all ages get hurt. We'll see if the buckle bomb is kept out of seth's moveset

I saw his kick to cenas face, could easily be credited to cena not turning his head or blocking it with his hands, in anycase watching their match yesterday, rollins kicks were now abdomen kicks, showing a clear adjustment so I guess that could be deemed responsible. Didnt see sting injury tho so no comment

If you saw the Cena match lat night it looked the same. 

It was a knee but he didn't throw any knees the last two shows. Lol

The buckle bomb is generally safe but by that point in the night Seth was exhausted and having trouble holding sting aloft. And sting hasnt wrestled much. When you work every night your body gets used to bumping. But when you don't it feels worse.

But the sting injury was just one of those things. Guys of all ages get hurt. We'll see if the buckle bomb is kept out of seth's moveset

WWE like any company has to protect its assets. Having them injured on the sidelines isn't what's "best for business".

Yeah but you can't take all the risk out. Unless they want to go back to taped shows and use stuntmen. They've cut a lot of moves out for minimal risk. At seth level he should be able to throw knees without breaking a mans face. But stiff shots will always happen in a business where you have to make everything look real.

Winnipegger Kenny Omega regained the IWGP (New Japan) World Junior Heavyweight Championship earlier today in Japan.  For those unfamiliar with New Japan or this title, New Japan is the second biggest promotion in the world and are to Japan what WWE is to America.  The championship is very respected and has been held by such notables as Owen Hart, Chris Benoit, Jushin Liger, Ultimo Dragon, Mistico, Finn Balor etc.

Coincidentally, you can see the new champion LIVE in Winnipeg Saturday Oct 3rd at Doubles Bar where he will face his former mentor Mentallo (formerly of CMLL, DDT Japan etc).

Any discussion of the best wrestlers to come out of Winnipeg must include Omega in the debate.  Tremendous accomplishment.

Good & bad news for Sting. No broken neck but career may be over. I still think Seth is irresponsible with his power bomb into the turnbuckle. I think he did that twice to Sting in his match & the second one did the damage. 

http://whatculture.com/wwe/sting-neck-injury-update-hospital-tests-revealed.php

Well at least he got his big WrestleMania win...oh wait.  Well at least he got to put over a great young talent at WrestleMania...oh wait. 

I don't think Rollins is irresponsible at all, the guy is a pro, he's legit... been wrestling for years... has a reputation of being a very good worker.. I just think at times, sometimes things happen, you have no control over them... it is what it is, Sting is 56 and probably shouldn't be taking certain types of bumps.

Rollins ain't at fault at all, it's just it happens.

You go back in time and look at some of the injuries that have happened to guys in the ring, Droz got paralyzed on a running power bomb by Dlo Brown, never once blamed DLO at all

I guess, what it comes down too, is it takes 2 to make it work... and i thought Sting injured himself more when he was put through the table. 

TUP here's something I've always wondered. Are matches totally scripted, I mean move by move, or do they kinda freelance other than the finish and a few key moves?

Not scripted move for move.

In the older days, they wouldnt even go over much beforehand.  They would know the finish and any key spots (run ins, ref bumps etc).  In recent years with more athletic work, guys like to go over matches more in depth before hand.  But generally its just talking over spots.

At my shows, if you come down really early you'd catch a few guys practicing a couple of things they want to do, new moves they want to try or trying to perfect something they arent super comfortable with.

In WWE, they do a lot more rehearsals now then they used to.  Where they'd actually do a dry run on a match or go over it in the ring without doing the bumps.

But most guys worth their salt can walk in there knowing nothing and put together a great match.  Through "calling" in the ring and the fact that moves generally flow into other moves and guys can "feel" their way through a match.  There are certain rules like which side you work (ie. which arm, leg, headlock side etc).  So many things are standard.

We did a gimmick show years ago called Lethal Lottery.  if you remember, WCW did a PPV called Lethal Lottery where they drew names to determine tag team partners.  And then the winners of the tag matches advanced to a battle royale.  it was all rigged ofcourse.  But we did it as a shoot.  We had everyone geared up and ready to go before the show began and all their names in a drum.  Fans drew the names live as it happened and the announcer immediately announced it.  So even the boys didnt know who was going out until they heard their name.

So every single match had zero advance discussion.  Even the finishes were unknown.  We had one veteran acting as an agent (in this case a guy named Rawskillz) and he would tell the 4th guy (last guy of a tag match) as he entered which team was going over and they'd call it in the ring.

When I had my first match I was so worried about forgetting but realistically we had four "spots" worked out and everything else just connects those spots.  So like in my case, we knew we'd lock up, he'd take a side headlock, work it for a bit, whip me into the ropes, I'd hold on, he'd clothesline me to the floor.  Then we'd "work" around the outside for awhile til we got to a certain location for the next "spot".  So nothing on the floor was discussed.  We traded shots, whips into whatever, suplexes etc.  It all flows naturally from one to the other and you get a sense of when to fight back, get cut off, take the advantage etc.

The easiest thing to forget is to "sell".  ie. if someone smashes your leg into the steel post, dont forget to keep pretending your leg is hurt all match, not just for the two minutes your opponent is working it.  This happens in WWE too.  And in WWE, they dont believe in selling injuries from one day to the next.  So a guy goes through a hellacious match, is Tombstoned and the next night on RAW he's fine.  It didnt use to be that way, its just how WWE does it now.

I think for the most part they are pretty scripted, but... i think some guys can go out and freelance for sure, at times, if you sit close enough or the mic is in the wrong spot, you can hear guys calling spots. 

Even in WWE there are some guys who are friggen awful at calling spots subtly.  Cena can be heard calling quite a bit.

A benefit to WWE even on live shows is that the refs have head sets so they can communicate with agents and producers to re-do things or whatever.

Oh and in WWE they call their agents "producers" now.  An agent would be a guy who basically represents the office.  So a few years ago for example, you'd have "road agents" who would be the boss on the house shows, telling guys what to do.  House shows are generally the same every night where guys are doing basically the same finish anyway.  Nowadays, an agent is assigned to every match on RAW or PPV etc.  An agent could have many matches assigned to him.

He relays the office's (the boss, ie Vince, Hunter etc) plans for the match and gives advice on what the match should look like, what message they are trying to get across, who should look strong etc.  The agents would be in on the production meeting so would know the intent of the writers and the wishes of Vince and Hunter and convey that to their match participants.  The agent would approve or deny certain ideas or moves.  Sometimes an agent gets in **** for okaying something he shouldnt.

Guys like Arn Anderson, Road Dogg etc are agents.  They didnt use to have as many agents back in the day but they have more now with WWE being more heavily produced and scripted.

There are RAW scripts or "run sheets" online if you search for them.  I think it was Vince Russo who would also add directions for the camera and pyro and things like that, give direction to a guy as to how he should walk down the ramp, whether he should climb on the turnbuckles and pose etc.  Its a lot more scripted now.  But guys still put their matches together themselves without being handed a move for move script. 

Promos are generally scripted word for word in WWE.  Certain guys have leeway, like Hunter obviously, Cena, Heyman, Jericho, to take the script and add or change things.  Scripted promos are a bad thing in WWE because people dont find thier own voice.

In indy's, like mine, I give bullet points on promos.  Sometimes I have a line I love and I will tell the guy to say a certain line or I will suggest certain phrases but I want them to find their own voice so its usually "say this...but in your own words".  But sometimes I insist they say certain things in a certain way. 

Since Im not a wrestler, putting matches together isnt my forte so I dont generally ask for specific things.  For us, as an example, I'd say X vs Y, go about 12 minutes, fast paced, X over.  I might add specifics like the point is for X to look super strong or give Y a couple of hope spots, have him fighting from behind and narrowly lose in the end.  A finish direction might be X over clean.  X taps Y out.  Or X slide over.  Or "slip on a banana peel" (though usually if I use that phrase its to say "I dont care how you win just not 'slip on a banana peel'".  More so I explain what I want the fans to feel and they put the match together themselves.  If I gave explicit instructions, every match would risk looking similar.

Occasionally you;ll see a show where three matches end the same way. Thats because guys were given lots of freedom and coincidentally chose the same finish.  Generally guys know to avoid each others' finisher.  Sometimes we develop our own terms like Ill say "run in, superkick," which doesnt necessarily mean use a superkick, it just means a quick offensive move.

Probably more often than not, direction I give is more what you *can't* do (words you cant say, things you cant do) as opposed to what you should do.  But some indy's are very vanilla because the booker doesnt care or doesnt have the comfort level to give direction.  I give lots of leeway on the details but its what I want to convey that I explain.  "This guy should look strong"  "Fans should feel this way at the end" and let the guys get there.  I tell them what the picture should look like and they paint it using the color of their choice.

**Also, I LOVE talking wrestling, especially the business of wrestling (one of my idols is Eric Bischoff)  So feel free to ask questions!

Awesome stuff, I've always kinda wondered about that aspect of things.  I knew just from watching that wrestlers call spots (how could anyone not hear Cena?) but I wasn't sure if it was more of a reminder for the other wrestler or what.  Kinda impressive that these guys can come up with most of it on the fly to be honest.

Some guys forget a spot or just have a bad memory for remembering it all.  Kenny Omega for example, he can put together a 30 minute match in infinite detail beforehand and not forget a thing and work at full speed throughout.  He can also go to the ring blind and have a killer match.  It depends on the guy...some guys love laying a match our beforehand feeling it gives them a better chance to have a better match (especially if there are lots of high spots that require timing) while some like calling it in the ring.

What do you think of Hotshot Danny Duggan?

One of the best sellers I've seen locally.

I've known Danny since he was...14 or 15?  He used to rile up some of the other promoters so we took him under our wing when he was a kid.  I let him wrestle for us when he was 17, in a mask.  He started his own promotion because he felt he and his friends werent being given the opportunity to be the new "top guys" in our promotion.

He's done some very immature things.  And I think his business model was wrong.  But he's a good worker and a very good seller and I always enjoyed having him on our shows.

Panic in WWE apparently, low ratings have Vince on the war path.... 

Blaming creative and telling them to come out with better storylines...

Silly  Vince, you are the one with the final say..

Maybe Stuff pushing guys like CENA, Kane,Show down our throats and start pushing guys the fans want to see pushed like

Cesaro,Neville,Owens, etc 

PS: NOW IS THE TIME TO TURN CENA HEEL. 

Panic in WWE apparently, low ratings have Vince on the war path.... 

Blaming creative and telling them to come out with better storylines...

Silly  Vince, you are the one with the final say..

Maybe Stuff pushing guys like CENA, Kane,Show down our throats and start pushing guys the fans want to see pushed like

Cesaro,Neville,Owens, etc 

PS: NOW IS THE TIME TO TURN CENA HEEL. 

The problem is they think quantity is more important than quality when it comes to writers.  It was always "bookers" and it would be Vince with guys like Patterson.  Then Cornette.  Then Russo.  Then Kreski.  Then they decided they were an entertainment conglomerate so they needed 50 hollywood writers and its sucked every since.  The writers write what they think Vince will like, not what they think is really whats best.

Until Vince either broadens his willingness to accept ideas or the writers collectively grow a set of balls, nothing will change.