Game 73: Jets @ Oilers

IC Khari

Great discussion on the Big Show this morning about who starts.  Im leaning towards Pavs because he's the hot goalie.  If you go with Hutch because the Oilers are "easier" and save the hot goalie for the tougher game I think that sort of thinking can out-smart yourself in the end.  And I hate to say it, but if Pavs starts and is great again, this might be the one time you second-guess your "no back to back games" rule.  I wouldn't...but I could see the argument.

The last 2 games we've played against the Oilers went to OT. In their last 4 games they've lost twice in shoot-outs with the Blue Jackets, won in OT against Philadelphia and beat the Leafs. Despite their record I don't see this game as being a free spot on the bingo card.

The last 2 games we've played against the Oilers went to OT. In their last 4 games they've lost twice in shoot-outs with the Blue Jackets, won in OT against Philadelphia and beat the Leafs. Despite their record I don't see this game as being a free spot on the bingo card.

Agreed. Can't be asleep for this one.

If it were me, we'd start Hutch today and Pavs tomorrow. Starting either guy (particularly Pavelec) in both doesn't make a lick of sense...and goes against 4+ years of history.

Hutch today because a) Pavs could use the night off and B) play the hot goalie vs. the better team in a more important game. 

Pav was the first goalie off the ice, he's on fire right now, I'd play him tonight and if he plays well and we win, I'd play him tomorrow night too. You ride the hot hand, Hutch has been rather average recently, might say below average. Pav is the hot hand, Play him until he loses. 

Back to back games - gotta give Hutch the start against the Oilers so Pavs is fresh for the Canucks. I can't tell you how bad I want the Jets to smoke the stinking Canucks.

Smoke. Beat. Beat up. Humiliate. Any of these results is fine with me.

Still wish we coulda hit the pub in full Jets gear. Oh well. Watching at home with a Nuck's fan so will have to put all my Jets stuff out.

Oilers aren't a gimme and now is not the time to be screwing around with your goalie rotation, It's really simple, you play the hot hand and right now that's pavelec. Oilers are definitely not a gimme, they have nothing to play for so they are loose and playing quite well recently. Start PAV, sounds like he is starting so that ends that debate really,and if he plays well, you play him again tomorrow. The guy had 3 weeks of rest on the bench, when Hutch started and had a bad game, Maurice went back to Hutch again, why? cuz he was the hot hand, kept getting points. That's what its about right now, every point matters. Play that guy that is getting you those points and right now it's PAV. 

I agree.  Dont screw around.  What would happen if they started hutch and he sucked.  Then Pavs sucked tomorrow.  or Hutch was amazing tonight but Pavs sucked tomorrow?  Way too much second guessing and voodoo science.  Play the hot guy.  They have chicago coming up and I'd say sure, you use the past as a guide and if you are determined to get Hutch a start or two here, pencil him in for that game and work around it.

Pavs tonight.  And if he's great your only issue is do you second guess yourself on playing Hutch tomorrow.  It's not like Hutch has not proven he can play so Im not overly worried about the idea of starting the "back up" in vancouver.

I agree that PAV could start every game down the stretch but we do play Chicago again and Hutch seems to have their number this season so I'd probably give him a shot there. Pav tho is the guy right now, we are 3-0 in our last 3 games, they weren't pushover teams either, tbay, st louis and washington, Why would anybody want to screw with what's working right now? 

It makes no sense, as for little and buff, nope, they won't be play tonight or tomorrow, maybe the week-end  tho but again, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Be nice to have those 2 back but.. the team is 5-2 in their last 7 games, most of them without buff and little. 

Little,Perreault and Buff should all come back when they are healthy, 100 percent healthy really. Believe they said 2-4 weeks with Buff, has it even been 2 yet? Perreault won't be back until early april at the earliest i'd imagine, Chiarot had a broken hand and surgery so still gonna be a while there i think, might be the guy that returns last actually. 

Be nice to get them back but right now, playing so well that i'd be a little cautious and hold them out until they are truly 100 percent healthy or as close as they can be to it actually.

I agree that PAV could start every game down the stretch but we do play Chicago again and Hutch seems to have their number this season so I'd probably give him a shot there. Pav tho is the guy right now, we are 3-0 in our last 3 games, they weren't pushover teams either, tbay, st louis and washington, Why would anybody want to screw with what's working right now? 

It makes no sense, as for little and buff, nope, they won't be play tonight or tomorrow, maybe the week-end  tho but again, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Be nice to have those 2 back but.. the team is 5-2 in their last 7 games, most of them without buff and little. 

Sit those guys out if they can play? WTF? 

Hutch should get tomorrow's start regardless of the outcome although it looks like this one is in the bag.

Pavs can start against the Habs and the Hawks..... he played lights out against the Stars earlier and Hutch started the next game agaisnt them so I don't think Maurice will start Hutch against the Hawks if he plays against the Nucks tomorrow but trying to guess what Maurice is going to do is like guessing the 6/49 numbers.

What about Stafford???? Chevy needs to re-sign this guy!