Your untradeables

They don't need a miracle. They just need to win most of their remaining games and hope LA CAL or VAN start struggling. Not a miracle but close lol

A miracle because they arent going to.  They either arent good enough or dont have enough heart or combination of both.  They knew exactly what they had to do to beat Florida and didnt do it.  Post game, they talked about knowing what they had to do and how they didnt do it.  No excuse for that.  If you play your game, play hard and lose by a goal, whatever, it happens.

Yeah there is a caveat to this.  We've been hit terribly hard by injuries.  But honestly, if Chevy traded Ladd (and Buff) in the off-season I dont think i could fault his choice of going in a different direction.  If they both resign, great.  If they are traded, I can appreciate the vision.

They don't need a miracle. They just need to win most of their remaining games and hope LA CAL or VAN start struggling. Not a miracle but close lol

Can't see Calgary struggling when most of their games in March are against teams that won't make the playoffs. (see wild card thread post 1)

Younger guys who will get better over time, You don't build your team around almost and soon to be 30 year olds. NHL is a young mans game. Would i trade Buff? If he balks at signing an extension in the summer, you damn rights. Would i trade Ladd? same thing, damn rights if he didn't agree to an extension this summer. The reality with the Jets is, they are building through their youth, Some people have this idea that guys like Ladd Buff etc will be around forever, they won't be tho, It's guys like Scheif, Trouba, Myers now, Petan,Ehlers, Morrissey, this is the future of the Jets. You can't lose Ladd and Buff for nothing, Their value will never be higher than it is this summer. Yeah i'd trade them because even with Buff and Ladd in the lineup, we are at best a bubble team. You trade them and you get some decent young pieces for them and we are actually closer to being more than just a bubble team. I don't think losing ladd and buff would be the end of the world considering what you'd probably get in return for them. 

Jets aren't and never will be a cap team, Johnny Boychuk with the NYI just signed a 7 year deal worth 42 million, Buff will want more guaranteed. Signing  buff to a long term contract is suicide for a team who will never spend to the cap.

Trouba,Myers are 2 young RHD, Buff doesn't really fit in that age group and we'd get a big haul for him. Yeah i'd trade him cuz reality is, we aren't winning the cup anytime soon and when we do (if we do), Buff won't be around to see it. Trade him while his value is high. 

If you trade Ladd and buff it's an acknowledgment that you might take two steps back to take one step forward. There is merit to that.

The jets were unique. A dual core team. Ladd, buff, little, wheeler, enstrom. The older in their prime players. Then the younger guys like Scheif and trouba and Lowry that they drafted. It created the potential to be a playoff team

Now and build for the future.

Like Maurice said though, if the team didn't get better when he was hired chevy was dumping assets for youth. That's going to be the big decision this summer. If the jets make the playoffs then you take that extra money and you sign Ladd and buff because you can reasonably expect to keep making the playoffs and keep making that money.

If you don't make the playoffs then what is the future. If they had two years left no problem. You could give it a shot next year. But they don't. And you can't have two pending UFA's like them hanging over the team at the deadline. And if you feel the team isn't good enough to compete until the youth rises why give two veterans big time deals?

Buff, they could weather losing. Ladd....they'd be pretty weak on the left side. Perrault moves to 1LW and you hope like hell Ehlers can step in.

I don't envy Chevy this decision. It's going to be a tough one.

Glad nobody on this board is the GM...

Who is going to replace their leadership ? Points? Nobody we have right now will replace them.

You sign these heart and soul players, you don't trade them.

I don't disagree that the players you mentioned are the future of the team but we need Ladd and Buff's points and leadership and nobody we have can replace them....my opinion.

You can't go with an all youth model. Look how that has worked in Edmonton.

Ladd and Buff both have rings. You can't ignore what that means in the room either.

It sure is going to be an interesting off season for the Jets. A lot of choices to make that will affect the team long term.

What if Ladd and buff both want 7 year deals? Still okay?

What if negotiations are still ongoing at the deadline? Still okay?

Risk losing them for nothing?

I'm not even advocating trading them but there is merit to the idea. Keep in mind that you don't trade them for nothing. Both are huge assets that would garner a significant return. You hope the two or three roster players that come back take up some of the scoring slack

Can't compare to Edmonton. We have way better D and arguably better goaltending. If you're top four D are Enstron, Myers, Trouba, Morrissey for the next 10+ years that's good. If your top forwards are Little, Wheeler, Scheif, Lowry, ehlers. That's pretty good.

And bottom line, from Maurice's own mouth this was the plan last season if the team had not improved. So you have to assume it's still a viable option

As far as leadership goes Ladd is not a fire and brimstone type of captain. Buff isn't really either notwithstanding his move to get kane gone. Not discounting their leadership but sometimes great leaders are waiting for their chance.

If Ladd and buff were traded I think wheeler would get the C and trouba the A. Trouba is likely a future captain.

I'm not saying they have to be re-signed at any cost.

I just don't think it is as simple as saying the old core didn't work so ship them all out.

We got one sentence from Maurice in that interview, none of us knows really what that means. The alternative plan could have been trading Kane.

They kept Frolik for one year knowing they could lose him.

You can't always be trading for the future as then the future will never come. If we trade Ladd and Buff I don't think we make the playoffs again next year and this group needs to taste that. Experience that.

You probably shop them around but unless you are getting a lopsided deal, I don't trade them. Certainly not both of them.

If you keep them and make the playoffs great. If you keep them and are out then you get some deadline day deals. If you keep them and we are on the bubble again, well sucks to be us.

I think they kept Frolik because of the team they had and the optimism since Maurice took over. If we lose Frolik for nothing it was like getting a rental for nothing but cash. Losing Ladd and buff the same way would be disasterous.

And I don't think its old core versus new core. I think they would never trade little or wheeler. Not should they.

No? Everyone won't be having the same discussions when they go into the last year of their contracts and set to be UFAs?

I hope we can sign at least one of them in the off season. And that is probably Ladd because he would be cheaper and we have a bigger need at LW.

But I wouldn't want to pay much more then 5.5 - 6.

I've set it before. This is one off season I'm glad I'm not the GM and making these decisions. Have to decide on what to offer the UFAs we traded for as well.

Ladd. Buff I like. Rather not trade them. 7 year deals? If Buff/Ladd signed 7 year deals you might as well throw a number retirement as a bonus.

Frolik has benefited the most by the Jets poor play lately. With the play(or lack there of) by Stempy & Tlusty, they almost gonna force the Jets to overpay Frolik.

Going into this season the talk was the Jets drafting will finally turn this team into a playoff team but I think we need to wait one more year when Ehlers/Petan hopefully will make this team and add some much needed offense. Scheif won't have the Sophomore jinx around his head(11g really?) too.

The 4th line can burn IMHO.

A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL. Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age.