Steve Morley

gbill2004

Based on Walters most recent presser, it sounds like he needs to trim some money from the OL budget as rumors are that we now have close to $800,000 invested in the OL. The logical o-lineman to get the axe is Steve Morley as he's 34 years old, near the end of his career, has been replaced by Picard at center and likely has a sizeable cap hit. I see a few options:

1. Outright cut him. This is what I think will happen, based on Walters comments.

2. Try to trade him for a mid-late round draft pick. Morley still has value as a Canadian and with his versatility on the OL, with maybe a year or two left on his career. Teams like Ottawa, BC or the Riders may have some interest. The thing is that Morley has deep roots here with his family settled in Winnipeg. If he were traded, he might just call it a career and retire.

3. Stash on the 9 game IR. I don't see a spot in the starting 5 for Morley right now. But with the amount of injuries we suffered on the OL last year, Morley could carry value to the Bombers later on in the season. He'd be a very nice insurance policy for a team hosting the Grey Cup at home this year. If it was my decision, I'd keep him on the 9 game IR as an insurance policy; this wouldn't count against the cap, unless he came off the IR. Morley can play every position on the OL so could step in for any injury.

What do you think will happen with Steve Morley this year?

I'd like to see if we could trade him but sadly, and realistically he probably gets cut. We have Picard and Goosen as a backup and don't need his salary (at a lower pay he could still be useful).

Maybe he'd agree agree to a pay cut and hang out on the IR all season for league minimum?

League minimum? He'll still get six figures on the open market. Even backup Canadian O-linemen get paid fairly well.

I'd like to see if we could trade him but sadly, and realistically he probably gets cut. We have Picard and Goosen as a backup and don't need his salary (at a lower pay he could still be useful).

Maybe he'd agree agree to a pay cut and hang out on the IR all season for league minimum?

League minimum? He'll still get six figures on the open market. Even backup Canadian O-linemen get paid fairly well.
Read my initial post. He's got deep roots in Winnipeg and has a young family. He might not want to leave Winnipeg. League minimum might be a better option than selling insurance.

Read my initial post. He's got deep roots in Winnipeg and has a young family. He might not want to leave Winnipeg. League minimum might be a better option than selling insurance.

He could make more money selling insurance than taking league minimum.
In half a year? A very good insurance salesman makes $100k a year. CFL league minimum is $55k.

It would be sad to see him retire but this thread is bang on.. We need to cut some weight from the hefty oline tab and hes kind of the odd man out at this point.. If he is willing to stick around on the IR or big pay cut id be happy but if not... Retirement or trade would be ideal..

If his contract doesn't have any big bonus coming up, I'd prefer to wait until camp to make that decision.  See how Everett looks.  See how our draft picks look.  But if I had to bet a buck right now I'd guess he'll get nudged towards retirement before then.  Stashed away on the 6 game in case of emergency is something to consider if neither Everett or the picks look ready to play snaps.

Ironically one of Morley's better seasons was when he was at OT until the brain trust decided that position was exclusively an import spot.

You're right.  Funny to think about it now, but Morley was our starting LT for the entire 2009 season when they allowed the fewest sacks in the league.