Interesting tidbits from Lawless

gbill2004

Let's call this from the lips of agents, GMs, players and coaches to the ears of a reporter.

Some of the following information can be filed under In Case You Missed It or ICYMI for the cool kids in class. Consider it a grab bag of new information collected from a week on the phone and some stuff that's already been passed along on Twitter, radio or TV:

Who will be the next Bombers defensive co-ordinator?

Last week I wrote it was Richie Hall's job to take and that contract negotiations were ongoing. Also included in the piece were a few sentences suggesting Mike Benevides was still in conversations with Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea. Benevides has been offered the DC job in Saskatchewan with the Riders but for some reason has yet to accept. Sounds like what was previously a one-horse race now has a pair of ponies interested in running the Bombers defence. Either way, the Bombers get a good coach. Expect a decision very soon.

Will guard Steve Morley be back in Winnipeg?

With the signing of Dominic Picard the Bombers now have five Canadians: Morley, Picard, Chris Greaves, Matthias Goossen and Patrick Neufeld, fighting for three positions. GM Kyle Walters appears intent on changing the attitude along his offensive line and while Morley is serviceable and a very likeable teammate, he doesn't have the snarl the Bombers are trying to adopt. My guess is he'll be asked to retire or given his outright release.

Will tackle Glenn January be back with the Blue Bombers?

The perennial all-star's contract is up and I don't see the Bombers re-signing him. Look for Winnipeg to take a run at pending free agent import tackle Sir Vincent Rogers of the Toronto Argos and non-import Ben Heenan of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Winnipeg also has two young import tackles -- Jace Daniels and Devin Tyler -- they are high on.

How much will Heenan cost?

The price for Canadian offensive linemen just keeps rising and reports say Riders guard Brendon LaBatte will earn in the neighbourhood of $240,000 this season. Heenan is expected to go to market unless the Riders knock his socks off with a huge offer. Expect the bidding to start well north of $200,000 and it wouldn't be a surprise if Heenan eventually signs for $250,000. He's Canadian and a tackle and that's a commodity.

yeah agreed, if he can be signed to a reasonable contract as a swing guy/6th olineman he would be a valuable and versatile piece, that is if we can replace him with better, and Canadian.

I sure as well he would be a good mentor for the younger lineman as well.

yeah agreed, if he can be signed to a reasonable contract as a swing guy/6th olineman he would be a valuable and versatile piece, that is if we can replace him with better, and Canadian.

I sure as well he would be a good mentor for the younger lineman as well.

He's already been replaced with Picard signing.

replaced at center sure, but in a spat of injuries, and or piss poor play from others he has value as he can step in and play virtually any spot, and be more than adequate. Goosen, I can't say that with him yet, he not ready, heck he only what...gonna be 22...he just a baby still.

Hinse...not as good as Morely, we have no other "game ready" Canadians in the pipe who could step in and not be a detriment, and you can't bank on a draft pick being your guy..the odd time yiou get a stud who steps in right away and performs but that is not generally the norm.

After free agency and say we sign 1 or 2 bonafide starters...2 canucks, or a canuck and an import well maybe then bid him farewell, but at this point now it would be one of the more foolish things to do..

U don't just toss away canadians, especially o-lineman when you don't have an already sure fire replacement who is just as good and cheaper with upside, or one who is better in place.

replaced at center sure, but in a spat of injuries, and or piss poor play from others he has value as he can step in and play virtually any spot, and be more than adequate. Goosen, I can't say that with him yet, he not ready, heck he only what...gonna be 22...he just a baby still.

Hinse...not as good as Morely, we have no other "game ready" Canadians in the pipe who could step in and not be a detriment, and you can't bank on a draft pick being your guy..the odd time yiou get a stud who steps in right away and performs but that is not generally the norm.

After free agency and say we sign 1 or 2 bonafide starters...2 canucks, or a canuck and an import well maybe then bid him farewell, but at this point now it would be one of the more foolish things to do..

U don't just toss away canadians, especially o-lineman when you don't have an already sure fire replacement who is just as good and cheaper with upside, or one who is better in place.

I don't disagree with any of this. It's just that you said IF we replace him.

ahhh...gotcha....yes agreed in that sense he has been yes...as really for all intents and purposes Morley was just a stop gap there

If Goosen was ready to step in Morely would have stayed at guard i believe...especially due to all the injuries

I can see the end of the January-Morley bromance in Blue&Gold ?

I think it'd be an okay decision. Both are nice guys, but too mellow. I still think keeping Morley around as a 6th or 7th OL would be smart, with all the injuries the past few years on the OL. Morley is Canadian, reliable and versatile.

I don't get that argument about January. He was the only guy who would do anything when something would happen to our qb.

Neufeld plays guard and tackle, Goossen played all 5 spots on the line in college.  We have some flexibility on our roster right now.  Bring in one more NI on the line and Morley becomes very expendable.

I think it'd be an okay decision. Both are nice guys, but too mellow. I still think keeping Morley around as a 6th or 7th OL would be smart, with all the injuries the past few years on the OL. Morley is Canadian, reliable and versatile.

I don't get that argument about January. He was the only guy who would do anything when something would happen to our qb.

I can't think of any Bomber Olineman who has played with more burr under the saddle than January since...Picard's first stint?  Brandon Dyson?  January is not making any friends out there.

Neufeld plays guard and tackle, Goossen played all 5 spots on the line in college.  We have some flexibility on our roster right now.  Bring in one more NI on the line and Morley becomes very expendable.

I can't think of any Bomber Olineman who has played with more burr under the saddle than January since...Picard's first stint?  Brandon Dyson?  January is not making any friends out there.

Alex Gauthier played with a nasty streak, as did Dan Goodspeed.

Given his passport, I would offer Morley a back-up spot at a reduced rate. OLmen always get nicked. 

I would send January packing. 

I would sign Heenan. 

I would support nuclear testing in Saskatchewan.

That's a terrible idea.

We can't risk giving them superpowers.

Lawless has also said this PM that Benevides has withdrawn his name from consideration in the competition for the vacant DC job. This leaves only Hall and apparently he and the Bombers have agreed to terms and will be announced early next week. Hall was said to have the inside track from Day One.