Bombers re-sign Matt Bucknor!

gbill2004

Bombers Re-Sign Pending FA Bucknor

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce the club has re-signed National defensive back Matt Bucknor. Bucknor was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

In his third season in the CFL, the Windsor product started all 18 games in the defensive secondary for the Bombers, finishing with 62 tackles, and one special teams tackle. He had five or more tackles in six games last season.

“We say this a lot, but a solid Canadian starter, whether it’s on offence or defence, are key parts of your team” said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “Matt came into training camp in 2014 and quickly established himself as player we can count on in the secondary. This was a priority for us in terms of our free agents, and we are pleased as an organization to get this deal consummated.”

Prior to joining Winnipeg in a trade last January, Bucknor had spent two season with Hamilton, starting 27 games over two seasons, and also the 2013 Grey Cup.

Hopefully we can lock down Wild and Sears I am not entirely sold on Washington, I was scared every time he attempted to take a punt or kick off and than the other times yes he can be a good blocker or special teams but man he did take a lot of unnecessary majors last year that often I would consider were game changers.  Well lets face it any major is a game changer; its 15 yards it hurts the team no matter if we are on first down; third down; or just getting the ball.  If we resign him I hope that he is taught to not take those penalties next year as I will cringe if they continue.

Wild and Sears on the other hand are must signs in my eyes unfortunately they are testing the NFL waters.

As people here suggested, for Etch defense to be effective we need a legit and bigger LB on the middle and not an undersize MLB like Wild.

I certainly welcome if Wild re-sign. But if he wont, as long as we will have a legit and bigger MLB, I will be OK with that.

Are we so far gone as a team that Bucknor is a huge signing? 

Nowhere near enough credit for a guy like Bucknor ... he played great for us last year.

Great? No let's not get delusional here. He was adequate. You bring the guy back for sure but let's not pretend the team wouldn't have continued along just fine without him. 

Nowhere near enough credit for a guy like Bucknor ... he played great for us last year.

Great? No let's not get delusional here. He was adequate. You bring the guy back for sure but let's not pretend the team wouldn't have continued along just fine without him. 

For a Canadian on the corner, he was great. Would we be worse off if he left? Yes.

For a Canadian on the corner, he was great. Would we be worse off if he left? Yes.

That statement is skewing your perception. Just because it's a low bar doesn't mean his play was great. He didn't **** up too badly that's all you really need out of the guy but I would suggest that if he leaves you just play an american in that position and actually improve your secondary over all. Can likely find a way to replace the NI somewhere else. Maybe a linebacker position, maybe find a DL, maybe they even go with 3 receivers, or 4 OL. 

He's a useful player to have but he wasn't great.