Jets vs Blues

Yeah, the 4th line not playing is more b/c of Maurice's philosophy than them being worse than every other teams' 4th line. We don't have the best 4th line in the game, but it's certainly not the worst either.

So if we had the best fourth line in hockey, Maurice would still barely play them?

Without question.

Always deal in absolutes. It makes for great discussions.

What happens IF the Jets were to actually make it into the playoffs.  At that point the games get tougher, more physical, more intense, everything is ratcheted up a notch and you've got the wear and tear of 82 games on your body.  You need to be able to rely on your 4th line contributing more ice team.

My fear is the team is just good enough to hang around the 8-10 spot at the deadline and either just misses the playoffs or maybe just makes it and is eliminated.  And we continue the cycle without getting much better.  Detroit is a great example of a good team that drafted brilliantly but most teams arent that lucky (or good).  If the idea is to be patient because the Jets have more good prospects coming up, then why bother keeping our older players?

I'd rather trade buff for picks in that scenario although I believe he's the best option to see us get a multi-player return that provides us with the depth we need to compete better.

I'm okay with the Jets making it into the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first round (or course I'd prefer if they would win).  That would at least be progress.

Look at the roster and the playoff experience on it.  These guys need to get a taste of what the playoffs are all about and be able to prepare themselves for it.  Teams often need a year or two of just making it into the playoffs before experiencing real success.

What I hate is just hovering a spot or two out of the playoffs.  You still get a "decent" draft pick, but not as good as if you suck completely.  But you just don't get over that hump to get into the playoffs.  Mired in mediocrity.

I don't want to mortgage the farm just to make it in and have an early exit (and by that I mean mortgaging the future for a playoff rental like Atlanta did), but this team needs to taste the playoffs to make that next step.  Then they know not only what it takes to make it into the playoffs during the regular season, but what they need to do once they are in.

I'm okay with the Jets making it into the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first round (or course I'd prefer if they would win).  That would at least be progress.

Look at the roster and the playoff experience on it.  These guys need to get a taste of what the playoffs are all about and be able to prepare themselves for it.  Teams often need a year or two of just making it into the playoffs before experiencing real success.

What I hate is just hovering a spot or two out of the playoffs.  You still get a "decent" draft pick, but not as good as if you suck completely.  But you just don't get over that hump to get into the playoffs.  Mired in mediocrity.

I don't want to mortgage the farm just to make it in and have an early exit (and by that I mean mortgaging the future for a playoff rental like Atlanta did), but this team needs to taste the playoffs to make that next step.  Then they know not only what it takes to make it into the playoffs during the regular season, but what they need to do once they are in.

What worries me about that though is the sometimes disappearance of the guys who *have* been in the playoffs like Ladd and Buff.  These guys should be the warriors every night.

The team has regressed from the stretch of games that saw them climb into 3rd place in the Central.  Perhaps a better choice of words would be "can we now say this team is the same as it has been for four years".  We've changed the players.  We've changes the coach.  And yet the record is nearly identical.  Everyone wanted to say "this is the real Jets" when they were winning.  My point is, losing one or two means nothing but this stretch of losing 4 out of 5 and the way they've done it shows me the team has "regressed" back to where they were.  One goal games or not..a loss is a loss.  if they were losses like the Pens loss, so be it.  They arent.  Pavs Save Percentage is a wonderful .893 or whatever these past few games and he's looked shaky.  Im a Pavs guy...and even Im at the point where Im saying is Pavs the goalie we see 45 games a season that is barely average or the goalie we see 20 games a season that is great?

Not going to do the whole thing, just a few points of interest:

Everyone wanted to say "this is the real Jets" when they were winning.

I would not have said that, what I would have said is this is the best version of the Jets we will see this year (give or take a functional power play).  Some games they will play their best, some games they will play badly, most games will be somewhere in between.  This is true for all teams.  No one plays their best 82 times per season, even the elite teams.  What I hope for as a fan is that a majority of the games played this year are on the positive half of the spectrum of possible performances.  B's or better.  So far I consider that the case.  I don't consider it realistic for any team to put out A++ performances every night.

My point is, losing one or two means nothing but this stretch of losing 4 out of 5 and the way they've done it shows me the team has "regressed" back to where they were.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss.  That is what the standings are for.  Regression and progression are not snapshots in time, they are measures over a period.  If you want to limit that period to such a short time, you can.  I won't.

Here's what I would have expected the 2013 Jets to do over those same 5 games if played last season.  They would have been inconsistent in their performances over that stretch, finding a way to beat one of the good teams, lose by 2 or 3 to the other good teams, and stink out the barn against the one team they should have beat because why do something as logical as beat a team you're better than?  Instead they played 4 superior teams close and handily beat the inferior team, the score not really reflecting the level of control they had over the opposition.  That alone is different than what the Jets have served up for us in the first 3 seasons.

If the work ethic is there the results will come.  If it is not there the results will not.  If they were playing without effort I'd be annoyed with them, but the effort was there in all 4 of those losses.  The opposition also gets paid to play.  The output is not always an accurate measurement of the input.

As a team they need to learn how to close out games like that out, but of those 4 the only one I thought they had a realistic chance of bringing home a W was the Detroit game.

The team has regressed from the stretch of games that saw them climb into 3rd place in the Central.  Perhaps a better choice of words would be "can we now say this team is the same as it has been for four years".  We've changed the players.  We've changes the coach.  And yet the record is nearly identical.  Everyone wanted to say "this is the real Jets" when they were winning.  My point is, losing one or two means nothing but this stretch of losing 4 out of 5 and the way they've done it shows me the team has "regressed" back to where they were.  One goal games or not..a loss is a loss.  if they were losses like the Pens loss, so be it.  They arent.  Pavs Save Percentage is a wonderful .893 or whatever these past few games and he's looked shaky.  Im a Pavs guy...and even Im at the point where Im saying is Pavs the goalie we see 45 games a season that is barely average or the goalie we see 20 games a season that is great?

Not going to do the whole thing, just a few points of interest:

Everyone wanted to say "this is the real Jets" when they were winning.

I would not have said that, what I would have said is this is the best version of the Jets we will see this year (give or take a functional power play).  Some games they will play their best, some games they will play badly, most games will be somewhere in between.  This is true for all teams.  No one plays their best 82 times per season, even the elite teams.  What I hope for as a fan is that a majority of the games played this year are on the positive half of the spectrum of possible performances.  B's or better.  So far I consider that the case.  I don't consider it realistic for any team to put out A++ performances every night.

My point is, losing one or two means nothing but this stretch of losing 4 out of 5 and the way they've done it shows me the team has "regressed" back to where they were.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss.  That is what the standings are for.  Regression and progression are not snapshots in time, they are measures over a period.  If you want to limit that period to such a short time, you can.  I won't.

Here's what I would have expected the 2013 Jets to do over those same 5 games if played last season.  They would have been inconsistent in their performances over that stretch, finding a way to beat one of the good teams, lose by 2 or 3 to the other good teams, and stink out the barn against the one team they should have beat because why do something as logical as beat a team you're better than?  Instead they played 4 superior teams close and handily beat the inferior team, the score not really reflecting the level of control they had over the opposition.  That alone is different than what the Jets have served up for us in the first 3 seasons.

If the work ethic is there the results will come.  If it is not there the results will not.  If they were playing without effort I'd be annoyed with them, but the effort was there in all 4 of those losses.  The opposition also gets paid to play.  The output is not always an accurate measurement of the input.

As a team they need to learn how to close out games like that out, but of those 4 the only one I thought they had a realistic chance of bringing home a W was the Detroit game.

You could be right.  But I see the Jets consistantly slinking back to their middling level.  They sometimes play above it, sometimes below it.  But its the constant.  Hopefully now that they seem to be changing their PP formation, we can kick that into high gear.  They have a road trip that is ripe for the pickings.

They've place Galiardi on waivers so there is that.  Too bad as I hoped he'd work out and thought he'd be a better skilled player on the 4th line.  Is he really worse than Thorburn?

You could be right.  But I see the Jets consistantly slinking back to their middling level.

I don't view it from that angle but I would agree that the Jets are just as hard-pressed to make the playoffs this year as last, mostly because I don't think they will win 50% of the games against elite teams.  Pissing away chances for 2 points against the weakerthans of the league looks to be a thing of the past, but the balance of power is so concentrated in the West this year I have trouble imagining they can make up enough points to get in.  But the game-in game-out effort put forward on the ice, that I think will be consistently better this year than any year previous.  My guess is they finish 9th, 2 points out of a playoff spot.  That will be frustrating, but what they do on the ice this season won't be nearly as frustrating.

You could be right.  But I see the Jets consistantly slinking back to their middling level.

I don't view it from that angle but I would agree that the Jets are just as hard-pressed to make the playoffs this year as last, mostly because I don't think they will win 50% of the games against elite teams.  Pissing away chances for 2 points against the weakerthans of the league looks to be a thing of the past, but the balance of power is so concentrated in the West this year I have trouble imagining they can make up enough points to get in.  But the game-in game-out effort put forward on the ice, that I think will be consistently better this year than any year previous.  My guess is they finish 9th, 2 points out of a playoff spot.  That will be frustrating, but what they do on the ice this season won't be nearly as frustrating.

I am glad to see they have mostly overcome their seeming pyschological issues insofar that they dont seem to fold like cheap tents.  I do think there are still some effort issues on a nightly basis (ie. not everyone gives it a solid effort every night).  I think not playing the 4th line is going to catch up to them at some point.  Read that Maurice basically excused the Detroit collapse saying the team was tired from a tough schedule.  If thats true, then why are we a three line team?  To me thats an issue between Coach and GM.  Coach benched 4th line, over works other 3 and then claims they were too tired.  GM doesnt improve the 4th line.  I dont want to make it sound easy but where's the comptition.  Is Cormier not better than Thorburn/Halischuck/Slater?  Is Klingberg?

I think the other question has to be asked on effort ... is that if the team is finally putting in the required effort night in and night out, they've bought into a system and style and sticking to it, and we still miss the playoffs .... then what?   

You can't just trade away all your veteran players and expect all your draft picks to develop into winners.  Going "into the tank" comes with one significant risk:  You might get stuck there.  Develop a losing culture.  Essentially spoiling all your draft picks.  This team isn't a big winner but they win enough that they haven't innately developed the expectation that they are going to lose every game.  That's why you can't just throw away all your older players and roll with all young guys.

I think the other question has to be asked on effort ... is that if the team is finally putting in the required effort night in and night out, they've bought into a system and style and sticking to it, and we still miss the playoffs .... then what?   

Then we're not good enough yet.  But I'll save you the suspense of waiting for April, we're probably not good enough yet.

In the meantime we still have to put a team on the ice.  As we accumulate collateral, our opportunities to be buyers will increase.

Tough for Teams to Improve Through Trades - By Carol SchramFeatured Columnist

Salary-cap management has virtually eliminated the garden-variety in-season trade in the National Hockey League.

Deals go down during the summer and at the annual trade deadline. These days, even when teams have specific ideas about how they'd like to improve, it's pretty tough to find a partner who can take on the personnel and cap hits that they hope to divest in the process.

According to TSN's TradeCentre page, after a few deals were made right before the new season began, there wasn't a single NHL trade for nearly five weeks.

The Dallas Stars broke the seal when they traded Sergei Gonchar to the Montreal Canadiens for Travis Moen on November 11. Two more trades on November 20 bring the total number of deals to three so far.

All season long, the rumors will swirl. But the days when a game-changing trade comes down have become few and far between in today's NHL.

Early Look at the Top NHL Trade Deadline Targets in 2014-15 By Allan Mitchell, Featured Columnist

10. Viktor Fasth, G, Edmonton Oilers - 

9. Andrej Meszaros, D, Buffalo Sabres -

8. Jordan Leopold, D, Columbus Blue Jackets

7. Michal Neuvirth, G, Buffalo Sabres

6. Antti Niemi, G, San Jose Sharks

5. Drew Stafford, RW, Buffalo Sabres

4. Jiri Tlusty, RW, Carolina Hurricanes

3. Jeff Petry, D, Edmonton Oilers 

2. Nick Foligno, LW, Columbus Blue Jackets

1. Andrej Sekera, D, Carolina Hurricanes

For the whys and what it will cost for these players…….

http://b.bm324.com/public/?q=ulink&fn=Link&ssid=10573&id=f54p3cmcoyaftoh4nyunys5kcjxbv&id2=g017oaprel5zp7sqjw7jhzjmtmklv&subscriber_id=abllaidrvkegmrecwmddgtzmyawdbgm&delivery_id=bvcttcxycvvvipynvrhcqclybfkubii&tid=3.KU0.B_SYMg.Dnjx.UHn1..l4Ks.b..l.Apvj.n.VHUqrw.VHUqrw.VAyPYg

I agree in patience and building but the team has to show improvement this year. It's the same old same old year after year. They aren't getting better. I mean we're nkt the oilers but we're a middling team that isn't improving.

Not improving? Jesus.

Excellent analysis.

have the Jets improved on their status as a middling ranked team the last four years?  Before you answer, re-read the question.

Salary-cap management has virtually eliminated the garden-variety in-season trade in the National Hockey League.

Deals go down during the summer and at the annual trade deadline. These days, even when teams have specific ideas about how they'd like to improve, it's pretty tough to find a partner who can take on the personnel and cap hits that they hope to divest in the process.

According to TSN's TradeCentre page, after a few deals were made right before the new season began, there wasn't a single NHL trade for nearly five weeks.

The Dallas Stars broke the seal when they traded Sergei Gonchar to the Montreal Canadiens for Travis Moen on November 11. Two more trades on November 20 bring the total number of deals to three so far.

All season long, the rumors will swirl. But the days when a game-changing trade comes down have become few and far between in today's NHL.

Early Look at the Top NHL Trade Deadline Targets in 2014-15 By Allan Mitchell, Featured Columnist

http://b.bm324.com/public/?q=ulink&fn=Link&ssid=10573&id=f54p3cmcoyaftoh4nyunys5kcjxbv&id2=g017oaprel5zp7sqjw7jhzjmtmklv&subscriber_id=abllaidrvkegmrecwmddgtzmyawdbgm&delivery_id=bvcttcxycvvvipynvrhcqclybfkubii&tid=3.KU0.B_SYMg.Dnjx.UHn1..l4Ks.b..l.Apvj.n.VHUqrw.VHUqrw.VAyPYg

Why is it the anti-trade people always seem to want to push the idea that its all or none?  Someone suggests making A trade to improve the team and people say "you cant trade away all your players" or "you cant trade your way to a contender".  Head scratcher.  No one is suggesting either.

Without going through each of those players, I'd assume they are top trade targets because they are going into UFA status.  Those arent guys we should be trading for unless its a salary dump by a team willing to provide other incentive.  The Jets are not at the point where they should bring in a player to improve our odds of just missing the playoffs.  They should, however, look at what they have, where they're going and who they should have when they get there.  And thats why, to me, Buff should be traded this season, the off-season at the latest.

Why is it the anti-trade people always seem to want to push the idea that its all or none?  Someone suggests making A trade to improve the team and people say "you cant trade away all your players" or "you cant trade your way to a contender".  Head scratcher.  No one is suggesting either.

Without going through each of those players, I'd assume they are top trade targets because they are going into UFA status.  Those arent guys we should be trading for unless its a salary dump by a team willing to provide other incentive.  The Jets are not at the point where they should bring in a player to improve our odds of just missing the playoffs.  They should, however, look at what they have, where they're going and who they should have when they get there.  And thats why, to me, Buff should be traded this season, the off-season at the latest.

Anti-trade people?

These story clips that I laid out there are the stories that are out there at this time.

They are reporting the trend in the NHL at this snapshot moment.

You could spend time analyzing the lower tier of teams, the middle tier, and the upper layer, but it is a very complicated process based on a lot more than "we should trade so-and-so.

The salary cap era has made trades now, and for the future, a lot more of a factor than in the past.

Everybody loves a good trade, it's just that teams are not all in the position to make these trades..at this time.

Anti-trade people?

These story clips that I laid out there are the stories that are out there at this time.

They are reporting the trend in the NHL at this snapshot moment.

You could spend time analyzing the lower tier of teams, the middle tier, and the upper layer, but it is a very complicated process based on a lot more than "we should trade so-and-so.

The salary cap era has made trades now, and for the future, a lot more of a factor than in the past.

Everybody loves a good trade, it's just that teams are not all in the position to make these trades..at this time.

I certainly agree on that.  Which makes the Jets' position even better.  Buff has a great trade-able contract.

When Edmonton finally gets off their ass and does something, perhaps it will start a chain of events.  But they are so bad, they should probably not try to get just good enough to miss out on McDavid.

We have a team on the ice. We should trade Buff for assets, be they players or prospects or picks or all three.

Nobody is suggesting trading away all veterans.

If we were to trade Buff, and he'd be first on my list of guys to trade, I'd want players back, not more picks. I think we're at a point where we've become competitive and I'd look at it as a big setback if we dealt a major contributor on our team for picks.

You seriously believe that Jets Management are not doing this "They should, however, look at what they have, where they're going and who they should have when they get there" If you believe they're not you seriously have to give your head a good shake. Just because YOU think Buff should be traded which you have said over and over ad nauseum...doesn't mean that hockey minds better than yours agree. When was the last time you made a trade that worked?

You seriously believe that Jets Management are not doing this "They should, however, look at what they have, where they're going and who they should have when they get there" If you believe they're not you seriously have to give your head a good shake. Just because YOU think Buff should be traded which you have said over and over ad nauseum...doesn't mean that hockey minds better than yours agree. When was the last time you made a trade that worked?

Show me where I said they arent doing that?

And yes, you're right.  Im not an NHL GM so my opinion doesnt matter.  None of our opinions matter.  If you've never played professional hockey at the NHL level, you cant comment on NHL games.  *rolls eyes*

Show me where I said they arent doing that?

And yes, you're right.  Im not an NHL GM so my opinion doesnt matter.  None of our opinions matter.  If you've never played professional hockey at the NHL level, you cant comment on NHL games.  *rolls eyes*

Seems to me when you say "they should" would indicate that you think they're not! Otherwise you are just stating the obvious. No need for the eye rolling I already did that when you keep saying to trade Buff ad nauseum.