Jets vs Blues

Meh. Blues are the best team in the West. I don't think anyone expects the Jets to finish anywhere near the top of the conference. That's why I wouldn't say they've regressed... I don't think they were ever much better than a middle of the conference team. I believe they will be up and down all year and hopefully sneak into the 7th or 8th spot. I felt they battled pretty hard in this game... they will bounce back.

Meh. Blues are the best team in the West. I don't think anyone expects the Jets to finish anywhere near the top of the conference. That's why I wouldn't say they've regressed... I don't think they were ever much better than a middle of the conference team. I believe they will be up and down all year and hopefully sneak into the 7th or 8th spot. I felt they battled pretty hard in this game... they will bounce back.

Below .500 at home. Not a chance they make the playoffs unless that changes drastically. If better teams weren't under performing this season so far the Jets would be out of it already. This is basically the same team we've seen the last couple of years. When is something going to change?

It's a long season folks.. We also don't have a deep roster so when too performers slouch,there's not many around to pick up the slack.. This team will have to fight and claw it's way into the playoffs IF we make them this season..

And that's the issue. The jets are a tweener. Just good enough to miss the playoffs and get a so-so draft pick. The question is, will management try to make the team better or be content being a tweener?

If we are hovering around playoff position around the trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a big move to bring in some support. I believe they would have made a move last year if Scheifele didn't get hurt. I didn't think they had a very productive off-season so IMO they are still exceeding expectations even with this recent slump.

I'm still of the belief that Chevy is a believer in the build from within concept and is willing to keep on keeping on, plugging away and not selling the farm to make a big playoff push.. I don't sense any fire or mob with pitchforks behind him to do so so I expect another middling season, another solid round of drafting and developing players in the farm system and maaaaaybe a shift in gears once we manage to luck out and draft a stud 1st rounder or one of our previously drafted guys wow in preseason and continue to impress in the reg season..

I agree in patience and building but the team has to show improvement this year. It's the same old same old year after year. They aren't getting better. I mean we're nkt the oilers but we're a middling team that isn't improving.

LOL.....  Man you complain alot.   Pretty easy to just stop watching. They arnt world beaters and im pretty sure nobody expected them to be. Well maybe you did.

When we go up against the elite teams of the league this kinda games are going to happen. You cant just panic and start trading everybody. Its a good game to learn from. 

I say they stay on course... patience is important...  rarely do you see any team have a great many years of success by making trades with non superstar players....

I agree.... Jus look at the Islanders over the last 10 years. They did what some here want to do...  Panic and make stupid moves. Now that they have stopped that they are getting better.

I agree in patience and building but the team has to show improvement this year. It's the same old same old year after year. They aren't getting better. I mean we're nkt the oilers but we're a middling team that isn't improving.

LOL.....  Man you complain alot.   Pretty easy to just stop watching. They arnt world beaters and im pretty sure nobody expected them to be. Well maybe you did.

When we go up against the elite teams of the league this kinda games are going to happen. You cant just panic and start trading everybody. Its a good game to learn from. 

Why do you bother posting here?  This is a discussion form and I posted my thoughts.  Look, Im sorry your precious Jets arent "world beaters" and Im sorry that any criticism of them hurts your soul, but this is a discussion forum where discussion is encouraged, not blind faith.

But just so we understand each other, to you there are two options for the Jets: 1) World Beaters 2) Lose.  Okay, thank you.

I say they stay on course... patience is important...  rarely do you see any team have a great many years of success by making trades with non superstar players....

I agree.... Jus look at the Islanders over the last 10 years. They did what some here want to do...  Panic and make stupid moves. Now that they have stopped that they are getting better.

Terrible comparison.

Why do you bother posting here?  This is a discussion form and I posted my thoughts.  Look, Im sorry your precious Jets arent "world beaters" and Im sorry that any criticism of them hurts your soul, but this is a discussion forum where discussion is encouraged, not blind faith.

But just so we understand each other, to you there are two options for the Jets: 1) World Beaters 2) Lose.  Okay, thank you.

LOL......  Lighten up dude.  No need to be attacking me i didnt you nor do i try to put words in your mouth like you.

I never ever said anything even close to this....  LOL

I look at things like this....  The Blues and most elite teams built their teams up and they sucked for years before they could ice a complete team that can compete year in and year out consistently. They didnt panic and start making silly moves just for the sake of making moves.

I even gave an example of it. The Islanders use to do that. It got them nowhere untill they stopped doing that.

Terrible comparison.

Why?  Its true.

LOL......  Lighten up dude.  No need to be attacking me i didnt you nor do i try to put words in your mouth like you.

I look at things like this....  The Blues and most elite teams built their teams up and they sucked for years before they could ice a complete team that can compete year in and year out consistently. They didnt panic and start making silly moves just for the sake of making moves.

I even gave an example of it. The Islanders use to do that. It got them nowhere untill they stopped doing that.

No one is attacking you.  You came into a discussion and accused me of "complaining".  Im not complaining, Im discussing.  Its okay to discuss the Jets' negatives as much as it is their positives.  Its great to be a homer but it doesnt usually lead to enlightened discussion.

No one is suggesting they need to make a lot of trades, especially dumb trades.  Again, you focus on a point that wasnt even made.  If you want to debate building through the draft versus trading, then there is merit in that discussion but neither option is black & white.

I have been a huge proponent of the patient build through the draft mentality.  But it ONLY works if you're actually getting better.  As fans (and media), we bought into the idea of a five year plan (which True North never specifically stated).  Its Year Four and this team is essentially the same.  If the plan is to wait for the new core of Scheif, Trouba, Ehlers, Petan to be 25 before we are cup contenders, then so be it, but lets not be heart breakers, trade anyone over the age of 27 and get picks.

Good teams building through the draft and supplement that with trades.  The Islanders were poorly managed.  If youre arguing that the Jets shouldnt make trades to better themselves because of how the Islanders did it, that's a terrible example.  Thats taking the worst example and saying "see, it doesnt work".  On the other hand we could point at the Oilers and say "see, theres a team with how many top picks, tons of talent and their refusal to trade anyone to get better has made them worse off".

The fact is, the Jets have talent.  They also continue to have a lack of depth which we all thought they had fixed this year.  The fourth line barely plays.  How can a team have sustained success when they dont use their fourth line.  If Maurice is saying our fourth line isnt good enough to play in the NHL (and thats what he's saying when they play less than 5 minutes), then Chevy has to upgrade those players.  Thats a no brainer.

I've been a proponent of trading Buff.  He's 30 years old at the end of this season.  He's 270 lbs.  He has one year left at $6 million and he's repeatedly said he prefers to play a position that Maurice has said he isnt going to play on the Jets.  Is he going to re-sign here?  Do we want him?  We resign him at, what, 5 years, $6.5 million a year and by the time the Jets are contenders, the things that Buff does well he wont be doing so well anymore.  On the other hand, he has immense value to contending teams.  With only one year left, he's more attractive to a team willing to over pay because they think Buff can put them over the top.  Trade him.  That, to me, is a no brainer, despite the fact Buff is the most unique impact player in the NHL.

I've been a big proponent of Pavs.  But again, below .900 goaltending is killing this team.  Is the plan to wait until Hellebuyck is a starter?  Pavs contract is decent, he has two years left.  I dont know the goaltending answer but I do know if Pavs finishes the year around the same as the last two, the question of his ability will finally be answered.

No one is attacking you.  You came into a discussion and accused me of "complaining".  Im not complaining, Im discussing.  Its okay to discuss the Jets' negatives as much as it is their positives.  Its great to be a homer but it doesnt usually lead to enlightened discussion.

No one is suggesting they need to make a lot of trades, especially dumb trades.  Again, you focus on a point that wasnt even made.  If you want to debate building through the draft versus trading, then there is merit in that discussion but neither option is black & white.

I have been a huge proponent of the patient build through the draft mentality.  But it ONLY works if you're actually getting better.  As fans (and media), we bought into the idea of a five year plan (which True North never specifically stated).  Its Year Four and this team is essentially the same.  If the plan is to wait for the new core of Scheif, Trouba, Ehlers, Petan to be 25 before we are cup contenders, then so be it, but lets not be heart breakers, trade anyone over the age of 27 and get picks.

Good teams building through the draft and supplement that with trades.  The Islanders were poorly managed.  If youre arguing that the Jets shouldnt make trades to better themselves because of how the Islanders did it, that's a terrible example.  Thats taking the worst example and saying "see, it doesnt work".  On the other hand we could point at the Oilers and say "see, theres a team with how many top picks, tons of talent and their refusal to trade anyone to get better has made them worse off".

The fact is, the Jets have talent.  They also continue to have a lack of depth which we all thought they had fixed this year.  The fourth line barely plays.  How can a team have sustained success when they dont use their fourth line.  If Maurice is saying our fourth line isnt good enough to play in the NHL (and thats what he's saying when they play less than 5 minutes), then Chevy has to upgrade those players.  Thats a no brainer.

I've been a proponent of trading Buff.  He's 30 years old at the end of this season.  He's 270 lbs.  He has one year left at $6 million and he's repeatedly said he prefers to play a position that Maurice has said he isnt going to play on the Jets.  Is he going to re-sign here?  Do we want him?  We resign him at, what, 5 years, $6.5 million a year and by the time the Jets are contenders, the things that Buff does well he wont be doing so well anymore.  On the other hand, he has immense value to contending teams.  With only one year left, he's more attractive to a team willing to over pay because they think Buff can put them over the top.  Trade him.  That, to me, is a no brainer, despite the fact Buff is the most unique impact player in the NHL.

I've been a big proponent of Pavs.  But again, below .900 goaltending is killing this team.  Is the plan to wait until Hellebuyck is a starter?  Pavs contract is decent, he has two years left.  I dont know the goaltending answer but I do know if Pavs finishes the year around the same as the last two, the question of his ability will finally be answered.

Ok....  starting to see how this works.

A discussion goes both ways..... Not one calling the other a homer if they dont agree.

But you have at it dude and enjoy.

Buff is a guy to trade... His play will decline sharply sooner then later.

You don't see improvement? Don't you think this club would smoke the Antropov jets? I think the tougher division really skews just how much the team has improved.

Yes for sure.  I do see improvement.  Ive always looked at the Jets through rose-coloured glasses.  But this win one lose one has to stop.  Regardless of the division.  This is the division they play in.  They wanted to be in the West from day one.  That is the team they should have built.  I think they play better defensively. I think they are a better puck posession team.

But all that simply equals another season with the same record.  Its not that they havent improved, its that they are still within the same general level of success.  And thats not good enough.

Ok....  starting to see how this works.

A discussion goes both ways..... Not one calling the other a homer if they dont agree.

But you have at it dude and enjoy.

Well I suppose thats one way of looking at it.  Another would be when a poster expresses an opinion that the team is regressing and is called a "complainer".  See how that works.  Thanks!

But to be fair, after you said the team is regressing you also complained A LOT.

haha yeah maybe!  I just want the team to do well.  Like seriously, I used to argue with anyone who said the team needed to make moves or that Chevy did nothing etc.  Patience was key.  But in year four, they have to show signs of improvement, not just on paper, but in advancing into being a regular playoff contender.  The fact we still dont have a fourth line is 100% on Chevy.  Buff could be traded tomorrow for probably 2-3 NHL calibre pieces plus a pick and/or prospect.  The idea is that Buff is a game changer as a player and its true he often does impact games for the positive, but he could be the critical trade that sets the Jets up to be playoff contenders for the next ten years.