Too Little for Ottawa in Expansion Draft?

BigBlue

You can't handicap the existing teams just to cater to an expansion team though. You have to accept that it won't be easy for an expansion team in their first few seasons. It takes time to build a team up. Should the league have given Winnipeg an expansion draft after Kelly torpedoed the teams roster just to keep things competitive?

" You can't handicap the existing teams just to cater to an expansion team though." I totally disagree ... no one is helped by a weakling club ... equalizing if done fairly is better for everyone's attendance ... your statement just reflects owners greed and "how hard" they worked building their club to just give it away ... what crooked thinking

Curious what your thoughts of what would have been a fair draft?

I also have a problem with making an expansion team stronger then the teams they are plucking from.

I thought the expansion draft was quite fair. Sure Ottawa sucked this year but they got some good pieces to build with and now get to add with another draft drafting first overall

"I also have a problem with making an expansion team stronger then the teams they are plucking from."

Why?

Why not set up the draft so they have a middle of the pack team and are immediately competitive?

Why punish a newbie?

Because it punishes a fan base who has supported their team over the long haul. It would be a slap in the face to fans who have invested time and money into their teams only to have it dismantled for the "new" guys.

There is usually a honeymoon period with a new expansion team to get over the first few years of losing. And if the fan base can't accept that they don't really deserve to have a new team, because all teams will have to eventually weather those periods.

You still didn't answer what you thought would have been a fair draft.

"Because it punishes a fan base who has supported their team over the long haul. It would be a slap in the face to fans who have invested time and money into their teams only to have it dismantled for the "new" guys."

It punishes no one ... and according to the longsuffering reasoning it asks to subsidize incompetency .... this assumption that you have to "punish" a new team is idiocy and entitlement reasoning

I thought we weren't allowed to call other opinions "idiocy"

You can't handicap the existing teams just to cater to an expansion team though. You have to accept that it won't be easy for an expansion team in their first few seasons. It takes time to build a team up. Should the league have given Winnipeg an expansion draft after Kelly torpedoed the teams roster just to keep things competitive?

" You can't handicap the existing teams just to cater to an expansion team though." I totally disagree ... no one is helped by a weakling club ... equalizing if done fairly is better for everyone's attendance ... your statement just reflects owners greed and "how hard" they worked building their club to just give it away ... what crooked thinking

I also have a problem with making an expansion team stronger then the teams they are plucking from.

I thought the expansion draft was quite fair. Sure Ottawa sucked this year but they got some good pieces to build with and now get to add with another draft drafting first overall

"I also have a problem with making an expansion team stronger then the teams they are plucking from."

Why?

Why not set up the draft so they have a middle of the pack team and are immediately competitive?

Why punish a newbie?

Because it punishes a fan base who has supported their team over the long haul. It would be a slap in the face to fans who have invested time and money into their teams only to have it dismantled for the "new" guys.

There is usually a honeymoon period with a new expansion team to get over the first few years of losing. And if the fan base can't accept that they don't really deserve to have a new team, because all teams will have to eventually weather those periods.

"Because it punishes a fan base who has supported their team over the long haul. It would be a slap in the face to fans who have invested time and money into their teams only to have it dismantled for the "new" guys."

It punishes no one ... and according to the longsuffering reasoning it asks to subsidize incompetency .... this assumption that you have to "punish" a new team is idiocy and entitlement reasoning

No where did I say that a new team should be punished.  What I said is that existing teams (and by extension their fan bases who have been supporting them) shouldn't be punished to such a degree, where an expansion team is taking the players that they scouted and invested time and money in developing so that the new team is better then them.  

You can infer from that that the new team is being punished, but the reasoning behind it is not directly that the new team should be punished.

And for the third time, I will ask you again.   What would you have considered to be a fair expansion draft.  I'd like to know what you thought Ottawa would have deserved to have been gifted to them from every other team in the league.

Why?

Why punish a newbie?

No where did I say that a new team should be punished.  What I said is that existing teams (and by extension their fan bases who have been supporting them) shouldn't be punished to such a degree, where an expansion team is taking the players that they scouted and invested time and money in developing so that the new team is better then them.  

You can infer from that that the new team is being punished, but the reasoning behind it is not directly that the new team should be punished.

And for the third time, I will ask you again.   What would you have considered to be a fair expansion draft.  I'd like to know what you thought Ottawa would have deserved to have been gifted to them from every other team in the league.

It would have been more fair if held say 2 weeks after free agency ... middle late February

It would have been more fair if it was set up to have an average amount of personnel so you are not guaranteed to be last or 2nd last before the season started

Not sure why he keeps using this word.  Every player they got from another team is a gift.  He must be a real treat at Christmas - "You got me the regular box set instead of the deluxe!  Why am I being punished?"

Why?

Why punish a newbie?

It would have been more fair if held say 2 weeks after free agency ... middle late February

It would have been more fair if it was set up to have an average amount of personnel so you are not guaranteed to be last or 2nd last before the season started

I might be able to buy your first response.  But free agents would have likely just waited 2 weeks to sign.   They would have made a deal with the team on a salary and sat on it.  A player wants certainty of where they are going to play just as much as a team does.  They don't want to be plucked off by an expansion team.  So in practice, I don't think that would have mattered much.

For your second point, it means nothing to me.  It isn't quantitative.   It means you want something to happen but you have no idea on what it would have took to make it happen.  It also completely disregards other posts in this thread about football being about more then just the individual talents of the players.  It is a team game and throwing a bunch of players together who are not familiar with one another with all new schemes is going to take time to gel.  So unless you are throwing together a bunch of superstars from every other team, making Ottawa into a powerhouse by removing the best players from every other team, it isn't likely to happen.

I have thinking about this for a about a week. Would BC have been better severed having Burris rather than Glenn and would Ottawa been better with Glenn rather than Burris.

The realistic situation would've been Burris to Winnipeg, Willy to BC and Glenn stays in Ottawa. 

Ew

I have thinking about this for a about a week. Would BC have been better severed having Burris rather than Glenn and would Ottawa been better with Glenn rather than Burris.

The realistic situation would've been Burris to Winnipeg, Willy to BC and Glenn stays in Ottawa. 

Ew

Actually, this is so horrid, it deserves an ew gif...

giphy.gif

Why?

Why punish a newbie?

I might be able to buy your first response.  But free agents would have likely just waited 2 weeks to sign.   They would have made a deal with the team on a salary and sat on it.  A player wants certainty of where they are going to play just as much as a team does.  They don't want to be plucked off by an expansion team.  So in practice, I don't think that would have mattered much.

For your second point, it means nothing to me.  It isn't quantitative.   It means you want something to happen but you have no idea on what it would have took to make it happen.  It also completely disregards other posts in this thread about football being about more then just the individual talents of the players.  It is a team game and throwing a bunch of players together who are not familiar with one another with all new schemes is going to take time to gel.  So unless you are throwing together a bunch of superstars from every other team, making Ottawa into a powerhouse by removing the best players from every other team, it isn't likely to happen.

If the draft looks fair & promising all these under-the-table deals won't happen ... what would that look like?

Each team protects 6 Canadians and say 12 imports .... The expansion team  picks 2 of each

They end up with 16 semi decent  import starters and 16 marginal starting Canadians ... it won't be a great team but not awful either ... Canadian depth but no stars to speak of .... with good recruiting they could have a real team in a couple of years

Why?

Why punish a newbie?

No where did I say that a new team should be punished. What I said is that existing teams (and by extension their fan bases who have been supporting them) shouldn't be punished to such a degree, where an expansion team is taking the players that they scouted and invested time and money in developing so that the new team is better then them.

And for the third time, I will ask you again. What would you have considered to be a fair expansion draft. I'd like to know what you thought Ottawa would have deserved to have been gifted to them from every other team in the league.

I might be able to buy your first response. But free agents would have likely just waited 2 weeks to sign. They would have made a deal with the team on a salary and sat on it. A player wants certainty of where they are going to play just as much as a team does. They don't want to be plucked off by an expansion team. So in practice, I don't think that would have mattered much.

For your second point, it means nothing to me. It isn't quantitative. It means you want something to happen but you have no idea on what it would have took to make it happen. It also completely disregards other posts in this thread about football being about more then just the individual talents of the players. It is a team game and throwing a bunch of players together who are not familiar with one another with all new schemes is going to take time to gel. So unless you are throwing together a bunch of superstars from every other team, making Ottawa into a powerhouse by removing the best players from every other team, it isn't likely to happen.

If the draft looks fair & promising all these under-the-table deals won't happen ... what would that look like?

Each team protects 6 Canadians and say 12 imports .... The expansion team picks 2 of each

They end up with 16 semi decent import starters and 16 marginal starting Canadians ... it won't be a great team but not awful either ... Canadian depth but no stars to speak of .... with god recruiting they could have a real team in a couple of years

What! dont you think thats a little much tho? I mean, i like what McManus is doing but could you imagine God as a recruiter? It would be real life madden. That would clearly be unfair to the rest of the league..

I don't know why a fan who calls himself BigBlue is putting up such a passionate fight for a team in Ottawa while their GM, coaches & fanbase don't give two shits about us. The draft was set up to help Ottawa become competitive & they were in most games. They just couldn't finish. How is that any of the CFL's fault? Look at the qbs they drafted, signed as FA or traded. Look at their OL.They have Jon Gott at center & J'Michael Deane at RT & both were starters for the Stamps in 2013. Gott was an all star that year. How good would those 2 look on our OL??? How much better would our line have been?  Worry about our  team & how we continually suck year after year if you're such a great fan instead of the redblacks. 

Why?

Why punish a newbie?

Each team protects 6 Canadians and say 12 imports .... The expansion team  picks 2 of each

They end up with 16 semi decent  import starters and 16 marginal starting Canadians ... it won't be a great team but not awful either ... Canadian depth but no stars to speak of .... with god recruiting they could have a real team in a couple of years

Interesting, because here was the rules they were given:

1st Round (Import draft):  Teams protect 1 QB and 10 Imports

2nd Round (NI Draft):  Teams protect 6 NIs (more if they lost a QB)

3rd Round:  Teams protect an additional 6 NIs after they lost an NI in Round 2.

So import wise, you actually want to protect more then was done (12 imports vs 11 if you include the QB)

And for the NIs, they really weren't that far off, other then getting to protect more NIs after the 2nd round.  So is it really the 3rd round that you have an issue with?  That they shouldn't have gotten to protect those additional 6?  Or is it also the rules about if they lose a QB and / or kicker , they get to protect additional players.

Even the idea underlying this thread - how do we know which players were left available for the expansion draft?  Even the teams in the league didn't have access to other team's lists.

So what is the league supposed to do?  Appoint a panel of GM's from other teams to make Desjardins' picks for him?  To protect him from his own incompetence?

He could have had Drew Tate and Trevor Harris.  He took Glenn.  He traded Glenn.  He unloaded insane money at Burris' doorstep.  Jake Thomas, Teague Sherman - he probably could have taken one of them.  He basically looked at our roster and made a fart sound.  What rule should the league have come up with to make Desjardins less stupid?

What combination of events guarantees the outcome you want (goodness knows I won't even ask why you want this outcome)?  Should we just have given them a 5 win head start?  Why do you think their first ever game was scheduled against Bombers?  To give Bomber fans a chance to witness history?  Yeah right - to give them the best chance at winning their first game.

And Iso is right, there has never been an expansion draft with terms as favourable to the expansion team as this one.

Another question that deserves to be asked is why Desjardins chose to go with a rookie head coach rather than suffer through two different sets of teething pains.

Why did we? Rookie GM & HC. Money perhaps as bringing in experience is expensive? The Bomber organization loves to save money... We know that. Just sayin'. 

Another question that deserves to be asked is why Desjardins chose to go with a rookie head coach rather than suffer through two different sets of teething pains.

Why did we? Rookie GM & HC. Money perhaps as bringing in experience is expensive? The Bomber organization loves to save money... We know that. Just sayin'. 

That doesn't explain Ottawa though.  Desjardins seems to think money poops out his butt.

That doesn't explain Ottawa though.  Desjardins seems to think money poops out his butt.

Nope it doesn't. Just thought I'd mention it as it was asked about Ottawa.

What the heck- its not Desjardin's money and there are those who believe that you can buy a championship- like Bruce McNall, and it does work once in awhile.

What the heck- its not Desjardin's money and there are those who believe that you can buy a championship- like Bruce McNall, and it does work once in awhile.

Yes I know it's not Desjardins money.  Since when is it ever the GM's money?  You don't have to take me so literal.

Yes I know it's not Desjardins money.  Since when is it ever the GM's money?  You don't have to take me so literal.

The point I was trying to make is that Desjardins was not behaving like he had a long-term stake in the team's future. If you expect to be in for the long run, you tend to be a good deal more careful.

Expansion teams are supposed to suck, i don't think i could name a sport that has had an expansion team who were any good in their first year or even 2 or 3.. that goes for hockey,baseball, football, name it really. 

Personally i think allowing Ottawa to take 2 QB's wasn't fair to the rest of the league. That right there is more than most other leagues would allow an expansion team to have.

Look at the NHL, NFL, NBA even, the most recent expansion teams struggled for years, they weren't any good for a while and some still aren't, Jacksonville Jaguars anyone?? lol

Ottawa definitely had their fair share of talent to chose from, but without knowing who was available in the expansion draft and who wasn't, Ottawa could some pretty solid guys out of that and probably could have had a couple more if they weren't so arrogant, why take kohlert when you know he won't sign there, why take HAGE when he said he would retire if he was taken by Ottawa. They could have had 2 extra players there, who? who really knows but fact is... just having the ability to take 2 QB's means that that expansion draft was very fair to them.

Besides, when it really comes down to it, who cares, why would anyone want Ottawa to be any better than they are? If there fans expected them to be some sort of powerhouse team their first year, they were kidding themselves cuz like i said, you look at the NHL (tampa bay,san jose) NFL (Jacksonville,Carolina), NBA (the raptors) those teams sucked for a while but over time and through solid drafting and free agency, some of those teams have turned themselves around, Some havent (mainly Jacksonville) but most certainly have but it doesn't happen in one year and it shouldn't. 

The point I was trying to make is that Desjardins was not behaving like he had a long-term stake in the team's future. If you expect to be in for the long run, you tend to be a good deal more careful.

Ah sorry, I gotcha now.  Yeah, I agree.  He's like a magician.  He's distracting you with one hand "oooo look we got Henry Burris" while scamming you with the other.  Makes it look like he's doing something big and spectacular, but in truth he's just spending all their money in the wrong way and probably screwing the team in the long run.  That guy just wreaks of slimballiness.