Too Little for Ottawa in Expansion Draft?

BigBlue

Another question that deserves to be asked is why Desjardins chose to go with a rookie head coach rather than suffer through two different sets of teething pains.

Why did we? Rookie GM & HC. Money perhaps as bringing in experience is expensive? The Bomber organization loves to save money... We know that. Just sayin'. 

That doesn't explain Ottawa though.  Desjardins seems to think money poops out his butt.

What the heck- its not Desjardin's money and there are those who believe that you can buy a championship- like Bruce McNall, and it does work once in awhile.

Yes I know it's not Desjardins money.  Since when is it ever the GM's money?  You don't have to take me so literal.

The point I was trying to make is that Desjardins was not behaving like he had a long-term stake in the team's future. If you expect to be in for the long run, you tend to be a good deal more careful.

Ah sorry, I gotcha now.  Yeah, I agree.  He's like a magician.  He's distracting you with one hand "oooo look we got Henry Burris" while scamming you with the other.  Makes it look like he's doing something big and spectacular, but in truth he's just spending all their money in the wrong way and probably screwing the team in the long run.  That guy just wreaks of slimballiness.

Exactly. Desjardins, probably because of an over-inflated ego, decided to go for a big splash instead of methodically building a contender. With a bit of common-sense decisions, he could have had a team which not only got into the playoffs, but maybe even got past the first round. As weak as the whole East was this year, it would not have been inconceivable.

Expansion teams are supposed to suck, i don't think i could name a sport that has had an expansion team who were any good in their first year or even 2 or 3.. that goes for hockey,baseball, football, name it really.

Personally i think allowing Ottawa to take 2 QB's wasn't fair to the rest of the league. That right there is more than most other leagues would allow an expansion team to have.

Look at the NHL, NFL, NBA even, the most recent expansion teams struggled for years, they weren't any good for a while and some still aren't, Jacksonville Jaguars anyone?? lol

Ottawa definitely had their fair share of talent to chose from, but without knowing who was available in the expansion draft and who wasn't, Ottawa could some pretty solid guys out of that and probably could have had a couple more if they weren't so arrogant, why take kohlert when you know he won't sign there, why take HAGE when he said he would retire if he was taken by Ottawa. They could have had 2 extra players there, who? who really knows but fact is... just having the ability to take 2 QB's means that that expansion draft was very fair to them.

Besides, when it really comes down to it, who cares, why would anyone want Ottawa to be any better than they are? If there fans expected them to be some sort of powerhouse team their first year, they were kidding themselves cuz like i said, you look at the NHL (tampa bay,san jose) NFL (Jacksonville,Carolina), NBA (the raptors) those teams sucked for a while but over time and through solid drafting and free agency, some of those teams have turned themselves around, Some havent (mainly Jacksonville) but most certainly have but it doesn't happen in one year and it shouldn't.

Panthers were in the NFC championship game second year first year finished 7-9. Jaguars made it to AFC championship game the same year beat the 13-3 Broncos. Minnesota Wild made it to conference final in 3rd year. San Jose won a series in third year. In five years Marlins were world champs. Colorado Rockies made playoffs in 3rd year.

Expansion teams are supposed to suck, i don't think i could name a sport that has had an expansion team who were any good in their first year or even 2 or 3.. that goes for hockey,baseball, football, name it really.

Personally i think allowing Ottawa to take 2 QB's wasn't fair to the rest of the league. That right there is more than most other leagues would allow an expansion team to have.

Look at the NHL, NFL, NBA even, the most recent expansion teams struggled for years, they weren't any good for a while and some still aren't, Jacksonville Jaguars anyone?? lol

Ottawa definitely had their fair share of talent to chose from, but without knowing who was available in the expansion draft and who wasn't, Ottawa could some pretty solid guys out of that and probably could have had a couple more if they weren't so arrogant, why take kohlert when you know he won't sign there, why take HAGE when he said he would retire if he was taken by Ottawa. They could have had 2 extra players there, who? who really knows but fact is... just having the ability to take 2 QB's means that that expansion draft was very fair to them.

Besides, when it really comes down to it, who cares, why would anyone want Ottawa to be any better than they are? If there fans expected them to be some sort of powerhouse team their first year, they were kidding themselves cuz like i said, you look at the NHL (tampa bay,san jose) NFL (Jacksonville,Carolina), NBA (the raptors) those teams sucked for a while but over time and through solid drafting and free agency, some of those teams have turned themselves around, Some havent (mainly Jacksonville) but most certainly have but it doesn't happen in one year and it shouldn't.

Panthers were in the NFC championship game second year first year finished 7-9. Jaguars made it to AFC championship game the same year beat the 13-3 Broncos. Minnesota Wild made it to conference final in 3rd year. San Jose won a series in third year. In five years Marlins were world champs. Colorado Rockies made playoffs in 3rd year.

"Expansion teams are supposed to suck" ... no they are not .... who put that regulation in your head?

"Expansion teams are supposed to suck" ... no they are not .... who put that regulation in your head?

1972/73 NYI, 1974/75 Washington Capitals and Kansas City Scouts, 1992/93 Ottawa Senator and Tampa Bay Lightning, 1999/2000 Columbus Blue Jackets, 1980/81 Dallas Mavericks, 1988/89 Miami Heat, 1989/90 Minnesota Timberwolves and Orlando Magic, 1995/96 Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies, 2002 Houston Texans, 1993 Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins.

1972/73 NYI, 1974/75 Washington Capitals and Kansas City Scouts, 1992/93 Ottawa Senator and Tampa Bay Lightning, 1999/2000 Columbus Blue Jackets, 1980/81 Dallas Mavericks, 1988/89 Miami Heat, 1989/90 Minnesota Timberwolves and Orlando Magic, 1995/96 Toronto Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies, 2002 Houston Texans, 1993 Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins.

Lol. The fact you had to explain it by bringing this list out is hilarious...

OBVIOUSLY, they are not supposed to suck... But they do. Almost always. To a friggin tee.

Why is anyone pretending Ottawa was so hard done by this year?  They almost beat us in week 2, lost to Edmonton and BC by 2 points, Sask by 3, were within 10 of Montreal and Hamilton twice each.  They pull off those and they're over .500.

How many times this year did they get their butts handed to them - lost by more than 2 TDs?  Six.

Six times too many?  Totally unfair?  This travesty should never happen?

How many times did BC lose by more than 2 TDs?  Five.

Why is anyone pretending Ottawa was so hard done by this year?  They almost beat us in week 2, lost to Edmonton and BC by 2 points, Sask by 3, were within 10 of Montreal and Hamilton twice each.  They pull off those and they're over .500.

How many times this year did they get their butts handed to them - lost by more than 2 TDs?  Six.

Six times too many?  Totally unfair?  This travesty should never happen?

How many times did BC lose by more than 2 TDs?  Five.

Why must you continually embarrass yourself by bringing stats and logic into arguments... this is no place for that!