Draft Position

RagingIce

It's a deep draft so I'm not really concerned. It's hard in my opinion to see Toronto passing on Demski given Durie's age and wanting to keep the ratio in tact. I think we'll still get who we want - and I doubt it would be him considering the state of our line.

Thought Coombs was Durie's replacement, but not a big deal for us anyway  - I can't see us spending our first pick on a receiver.

And who crosses over if both Lions & Riders lose next week?

Whoever has the tie-break btwn those two... by my research:

W3 BC 26 Sask 13 = BC+13

W9 BC 16 Sask 20 = BC+9

So I believe Sask would cross-over

unless div record is the tie breaker... in which case:

BC 4-5 vs West

Sask 4-5 vs West

and both play a west opponent this week... so I guess it still be Sask that crosses if they both win/both lose...

It's a deep draft so I'm not really concerned. It's hard in my opinion to see Toronto passing on Demski given Durie's age and wanting to keep the ratio in tact. I think we'll still get who we want - and I doubt it would be him considering the state of our line.

There are years when everyone want to land the big prize.  If there is a guy like that this year, no one knows who he is yet.  Sounds like there will be lots of top prospects to go around.

Hopefully they take Demski and then him and Coombs both come back to Winnipeg in consecutive years.

Based on what Ottawa was asking to move out of the first spot last year, I find it unlikely we would find common ground on a trade with them.

Curious to see the scouting reports for next year's draft and how big of a drop there will be between first and third.

Now, who we have that we can spare that Ottawa would want for the # one draft pick?

I'm not sure there's much of a point to be honest unless there's a guy that Walters and the scouts fall in love with. He's said a number of times this is a very deep draft, so why force something for two picks when there really is no reason to?

I dunno if it's necessary to trade up, like others have said, it's a deep draft but what i think would be smart is looking to get another pick in the first or 2nd round also. I'm not sure what we have to offer to get a pick say in the 2nd round, but... i'd look at it. 

Pretty strong draft for oline, sure some have NFL aspirations but i think if we could move a guy (not sure who) to get another 2nd rd pick.. It might work out for us pretty well.

Reality is, we could take Demski if available at 2 or 2 and then in the 2nd round grab a couple of oline. Deep draft, Oline don't always work out it seems so why not take BPA regardless of position in round 1 and try to grab an oline or 2 in the 2nd round. 

I was under the impression we were without a second round pick this year - Can anyone confirm either way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CFL_Draft

It really depends on what the conditions were on what the Brohm and Portis trades were.    Can't see Portis being a 2nd round pick given playing time.  It was reported that the Brohm trade was at least a 4th rounder.  Don't know what the high end was, or what the conditions were.

We do get an extra 4th rounder from the Alex Hall deal from SK.

If the draft is indeed as deep as Walters has indicated, I'd be curious (not saying we should necessarily do it) on what the potential returns would be if we were to trade down from two or three, assuming we could still land a solid starting Canadian.

That would depend on whether there is a team that is really hot and bothered for a certain player that they don't expect to last until their pick. Best case scenario would be to look at what the return was when BC and the Bombers were trying to trade up to get Westerman. 

If the draft is indeed as deep as Walters has indicated, I'd be curious (not saying we should necessarily do it) on what the potential returns would be if we were to trade down from two or three, assuming we could still land a solid starting Canadian.

That would depend on whether there is a team that is really hot and bothered for a certain player that they don't expect to last until their pick. Best case scenario would be to look at what the return was when BC and the Bombers were trying to trade up to get Westerman. 

For sure. If there's an offer that makes it worth it, and a player that you like at whatever spot you'd slide down for then do it. Make X team work for it if something presents itself.