Argos @ Als

USABomberfan

I said early in the year that Montreal looked to be a QB away from being a good team... now I don't think Crompton is a future HOFer or anything... but he manages the game well, doesn't turn the ball over, has a decent arm.... just what that team needs to make a run...

Crompton is doing damn well since he started only a few weeks after being traded.

Kudos to Dinwiddie as well

I agree Crompton may not look all that pretty but he is effective.  I especially like his ability to extend plays on the roll-out something I hope Willy will be able to pick up on.  What a story-book finish this season will have if the beleaguered Als. proceed to the Grey Cup.

I'm not going to discredit Crompton by any means, I do think he as a player and as a person has some leadership capabilities that the team can rally around.  He has a pretty commanding way in the huddle too, but I don't know that he's all that much more than a slightly better version of Buck Pierce without injuries.

I think the bigger credit has to be given to Noel Thorpe and that defense, they're the ones who I'd say have been the rallying point of that team and they've been playing lights out most of this 2nd half.

I don't get this criticism of Crompton, by the same people who give Willy a free pass because it's his first season.  I prefer a QB that can ad-lib and doesn't have to be scripted in order to succeed.  A broken play for Willy = a broken Willy.

Just look at the protection Crompton gets and what Willy had. Willy behind that kind of o line has us in the playoffs. Crompton behind ours, would have been given an apple and a road map by now. A broken Willy, that's sounds like big hurt no matter who you play for.

I don't get this criticism of Crompton, by the same people who give Willy a free pass because it's his first season.  I prefer a QB that can ad-lib and doesn't have to be scripted in order to succeed.  A broken play for Willy = a broken Willy.

Just look at the protection Crompton gets and what Willy had. Willy behind that kind of o line has us in the playoffs. Crompton behind ours, would have been given an apple and a road map by now. A broken Willy, that's sounds like big hurt no matter who you play for.

And a bandage is going to fix it either.  :huh:

Brandon, on 06 Nov 2014 - 1:16 PM, said:

Buck did not have the arm of Crompton and was much more run first. Completely different players IMO.

It's not about the kind of players they are, it's about the similarities in how they've succeeded.  Neither Buck nor Jonathan have had all that good of numbers, Pierce's worse but Crompton is hardly an elite QB yet.  It's a comparison in that they both have found ways to get the job done.  Never tore it up on a Calvillo level, but both just had to do enough to win a game thanks to their outstanding defenses.  That's where the comparison is similar.

Not criticism, I even said I'm not discrediting him.  I give him credit where due in what he's done to help change the fortunes of Montreal, and he certainly has done his part.  But I think it's more that the Als also were able to get things clicking in the running game with Sutton once he got up to full strength, and Noel Thorpe's defenses have been the strength of that team all year and with a little help now from the O, they've maximized on that.