I Blame the Coaches

BigBlue

I blame the coaching staff BIG TIME for another failed season!

Eight straight losses, one of the worst losing streaks in Blue Bomber history, is the last thing I expected after a five and one start.

I blame Marcel Bellefuille for being average, unimaginative and unable to adjust. If you don't have the talent at receiver you can at least run timing packages and short stuff. You do something about the unbelievable number of sacks we took this year – – it has more than just a little bit to do with schemes and strategy. There is nothing worse than being average when it is "the slight edge" that wins ball games.

As I watched tonight's game I just hated how bad our special teams have been this year. We lost the game tonight on punt returns and kickoff yardage. Our special-teams head coach (MOS) has got to do something for next year.

The worst problem was defense and Gary Etchevery. When you run a gambling defense, like he has, you have to have a lot more sacks and interceptions to compensate for the occasional big plays we give up such as occurred this evening and in too many ball games this season. Further, when your personnel requirements dictate using small fast players, instead of the best talent, I am thinking one thing: STUPID!

As for Michael O'Shea, I believe we have a real leader. But MOS has to put the best performers on the field (rewarding them and demonstrating fairness and equity) instead of his personal favorites (Kroneyism and fear of your judgment). He has lots of time to get better assistants and coordinators for next season, and, at least now, he does offer some hope of a few good seasons for the next 2 to 3 years.

I am not so concerned about talent (and we certainly do need some big upgrading there) as I am concerned about the inadequacy of our coaching-coordinator personnel. And we have to listen more to Danny McManus more. Kyle Walters is doing great with Canadian recruiting but we got failing grades for our US side.

I am absolutely disgusted with our coaching staff.

Bellefeuille needs to design the offense towards Willy's strengths and weaknesses.  Specifically, he needs to have Willy move around in the pocket more, and also ensure there's almost always an outlet receiver nearby when Willy can't find someone downfield within 3 seconds.  I'd say 70% of the sacks taken this year can be blamed on scheme, and not the OL or Willy.  The blame is on Bellefeuille. 

Bellefeuille needs to design the offense towards Willy's strengths and weaknesses.  Specifically, he needs to have Willy move around in the pocket more, and also ensure there's almost always an outlet receiver nearby when Willy can't find someone downfield within 3 seconds.  I'd say 70% of the sacks taken this year can be blamed on scheme, and not the OL or Willy.  The blame is on Bellefeuille. 

I dunno - on the third sack, Mo Ellimeennimummmm was picked by his own player, Cotton was running free and clear not 15 yards from where Willy was, and I'm sure that play was designed (as in Cotton's pass pattern) to be a 'check down' for him. I know they are there, Willy just can't seem to find them for some reason. Though I do agree a new OC is something we need, and a new DC too. 

The long developing pass plays simply dont work with our offense.. Need much more quick slants and outs with more shovels and screens... Willy cant dodge long enough and our oline cant protect enough to get to 5 or 6 steamboats..

The only thing I really pin on the coaches for this year was that they at one point relegated Cotton to the PR.  I don't know that he would've won us all those games we lost, but he kept getting switched in and switched out when he should've been playing more would've given this team a lot more of a boost.  Really no reason to have had him sitting all those weeks.

Willy holding onto the ball and getting sacked when there's open receivers down the field is nobody's fault but his own.

Willy can't move around int he pocket more, he'll just panick for no reason adn run into somebody. He also can't throw quick releases, because frankly he just isn't good at it. His only strength as a starting QB is his willingness to stand in the pocket and take a beating without getting injured. But sad part is, his main strength is his biggest weakness, if he could stand in the pocket and maintain his composure, then he'd be a real gem.

The only thing I really pin on the coaches for this year was that they at one point relegated Cotton to the PR.  I don't know that he would've won us all those games we lost, but he kept getting switched in and switched out when he should've been playing more would've given this team a lot more of a boost.  Really no reason to have had him sitting all those weeks.

putting Grigsby ahead of Cotton, bringing Romby loser Bryant and not EVER EVER EVER EVER benching Willy, have cost us the majority of our losses this year.

Etcheverry has cost us the rest.

Willly dodge? Heck if nobody is within 10 yards of him he prefers to run to the nearest linebacker. ALso Shuffle? No that's too easy, why shuffle and look to throw when I can just spin around with my head pointed to the ground? Bloody stupid!!#!#

It's like they didn't learn a damn thing about the things they did right last game.  Did Willy roll out even once today?

Willly dodge? Heck if nobody is within 10 yards of him he prefers to run to the nearest linebacker. ALso Shuffle? No that's too easy, why shuffle and look to throw when I can just spin around with my head pointed to the ground? Bloody stupid!!#!#

It's like they didn't learn a damn thing about the things they did right last game.  Did Willy roll out even once today?

His version of rolling is spin with his head down or turn to the sidelines and run until you get tackled by a finger.

I blame the coaching staff BIG TIME for another failed season!

Eight straight losses, one of the worst losing streaks in Blue Bomber history, is the last thing I expected after a five and one start.

I blame Marcel Bellefuille for being average, unimaginative and unable to adjust. If you don't have the talent at receiver you can at least run timing packages and short stuff. You do something about the unbelievable number of sacks we took this year – – it has more than just a little bit to do with schemes and strategy. There is nothing worse than being average when it is "the slight edge" that wins ball games.

As I watched tonight's game I just hated how bad our special teams have been this year. We lost the game tonight on punt returns and kickoff yardage. Our special-teams head coach (MOS) has got to do something for next year.

The worst problem was defense and Gary Etchevery. When you run a gambling defense, like he has, you have to have a lot more sacks and interceptions to compensate for the occasional big plays we give up such as occurred this evening and in too many ball games this season. Further, when your personnel requirements dictate using small fast players, instead of the best talent, I am thinking one thing: STUPID!

As for Michael O'Shea, I believe we have a real leader. But MOS has to put the best performers on the field (rewarding them and demonstrating fairness and equity) instead of his personal favorites (Kroneyism and fear of your judgment). He has lots of time to get better assistants and coordinators for next season, and, at least now, he does offer some hope of a few good seasons for the next 2 to 3 years.

I am not so concerned about talent (and we certainly do need some big upgrading there) as I am concerned about the inadequacy of our coaching-coordinator personnel. And we have to listen more to Danny McManus more. Kyle Walters is doing great with Canadian recruiting but we got failing grades for our US side.

I am absolutely disgusted with our coaching staff.

I'll give O'Shea until the mid point of next season to build a winner or at least demonstrate he can be a HC in this league. Right now, I'm not convinced. But he deserves a chance to right the ship still. 

The notion of giving MOS or any coach a short leash then becomes who is the next man up when you make that decision part the way through the subsequent season? Who on this staff would you bring back let alone elevate to HC? All part of a measure of succession planning in any business.

What does that say about the guy who watched those 49 sacks happen and did not tell the OC his scheme sucked and would have to change? Or was the OC assuming the duties of the HC?

This is correct. They've made some puzzling roster decisions at times this year, but I do think they've gotten over that recently. Much more willing to make changes to things that aren't working.

This is correct. They've made some puzzling roster decisions at times this year, but I do think they've gotten over that recently. Much more willing to make changes to things that aren't working.

Losing will do that. Not as smart as they thought they were. 

It's a fine line to walk though, you want to show faith in your players. I really do think O'Shea learned a lot this season about head coaching. I think if we run this guy out of town we're going to regret it. 

It's a fine line to walk though, you want to show faith in your players. I really do think O'Shea learned a lot this season about head coaching. I think if we run this guy out of town we're going to regret it. 

He'll have one more season, 17. He won't be run of unless he keeps his coordinators which I'm afraid he will.

He'll have one more season, 17. He won't be run of unless he keeps his coordinators which I'm afraid he will.

Bomber fans need at least 2-3 lambs to stem them over.  O'Shea would be wise to offer them up on a spittle.

Bomber fans need at least 2-3 lambs to stem them over.  O'Shea would be wise to offer them up on a spittle.

Tracy and one of bellfool and etch? My money is on etch not surviving..

I hope Etch & Bell are released after our last game and before the season ends ... it will send a strong message and get our recruiting season off to a good & early start

Then the problem you run into is that you won't be able to recruit anyone worth a damn because it's just further instability. No coach wants to go to a place where they're going to be fired after one season. And really why are we firing Etch again? The D has been ok this year. The biggest thing we need on D is some better defensive linemen in there. people are taking this dislike of Etchevary to ridiculous levels. He's not my ideal defensive coordinator but he certainly hasn't done anything to warrant being fired. He was better than I expected him to be and you don't fire a guy after one year when the D wasn't the big problem on this team. If I was putting the 3 phases in order of concerns about them it would be special teams > offense > defense.