I Blame the Coaches

BigBlue

An eight-game losing streak did serious damage to the Bombers at the gate in 2014, with the two worst crowds ever at IGF coming in the last two games. The Bombers drew an all-time low of 22,320 for a 33-23 loss to the Calgary Stampeders last weekend. With Saturday night's loss the Bombers finished the 2014 season 3-6 at home. They are 4-14 at IGF through two seasons.

At the end of the day, it's still a business and the bottom line took a beating. Wade has been pretty quiet which probably isn't a good thing.

Fire everyone.

It's the best way to ensure we continue rebuilding the reputation we had as a coaching dumpster fire. We'll surely attract awesome candidates by prematurely firing coordinators.

If MOS doesn't fire at least one of DC or OC then I will have lost any remaining respect and hope for MOS as our HC... ( And our chances to improve next yr )

I hope Etch & Bell are released after our last game and before the season ends ... it will send a strong message and get our recruiting season off to a good & early start

Then the problem you run into is that you won't be able to recruit anyone worth a damn because it's just further instability. No coach wants to go to a place where they're going to be fired after one season. And really why are we firing Etch again? The D has been ok this year. The biggest thing we need on D is some better defensive linemen in there. people are taking this dislike of Etchevary to ridiculous levels. He's not my ideal defensive coordinator but he certainly hasn't done anything to warrant being fired. He was better than I expected him to be and you don't fire a guy after one year when the D wasn't the big problem on this team. If I was putting the 3 phases in order of concerns about them it would be special teams > offense > defense.

The payoffs for Etch's gambling were at least apparent in the early to mid-season but they dropped off the map later in the schedule.  No real pressure on the QB's was sustained from the D-line or his blitz formations and they were burned heavily on both the run and the long pass. 

Poblah's TD was a great example, one missed tackle and he was off to the endzone with nary another Bomber to contend with.  Legget is an outstanding safety and would probably be a league all-star in a conventional defence but when he spends half the game lined up on the line of scrimmage it defeats the very nature of that position.  How is he to make decisions on which receiver he needs to help cover when he is backtracking off the line in order to regain the positioning he should have started the play with?.

Continuity is only good if you've got the right folks in place.

Often the HC will have to pay with his job for an 8 or 9 game losing streak especially since we haven't won since August.  

OC/DC/SC jobs are always in jeopardy when teams miss the playoffs.  

It's not premature to fire coaches who aren't doing a good job as long as their are better replacements available.

HC's usually get a chance to turn things around and a chance to change out coordinators to do it.

GM's usually get at least one chance to fire an HC before they lose their jobs.

I'd change all of our coordinators in the off season if I were O'Shea / Walters.

MB's got the excuse of a rookie starting QB and a horrible O line.  

Etch doesn't have any excuses.  He got the players he wanted to play his style of defense.

All you have to do is look back to the 2007 team to see what a real GC contender looks like. All around, the current cast of coaches and players isn't even close to what is needed.

Coaching: the only one worth their salt is Wylie.

Players: Maybe 6 would have a shot at starting on that 2007 team, maybe.

You're talking an entire coaching staff and 18 players to get there, that ain't happening in one off season.

I hope Etch & Bell are released after our last game and before the season ends ... it will send a strong message and get our recruiting season off to a good & early start

Then the problem you run into is that you won't be able to recruit anyone worth a damn because it's just further instability. No coach wants to go to a place where they're going to be fired after one season. And really why are we firing Etch again? The D has been ok this year. The biggest thing we need on D is some better defensive linemen in there. people are taking this dislike of Etchevary to ridiculous levels. He's not my ideal defensive coordinator but he certainly hasn't done anything to warrant being fired. He was better than I expected him to be and you don't fire a guy after one year when the D wasn't the big problem on this team. If I was putting the 3 phases in order of concerns about them it would be special teams > offense > defense.

The payoffs for Etch's gambling were at least apparent in the early to mid-season but they dropped off the map later in the season.  No real pressure on the QB's was sustained from the D-line of his blitz formations and they were burned heavily on both the run and the long pass. 

and did we notice that it was right around the time Anderson got hurt that the pressure really disappeared? This teams DL has been weak all year and losing a guy like Anderson meant that we could not generate pressure. Let's get some playmakers at DL for next season and see how the defense looks. The CFL is pretty simple, if you get pressure your D usually looks pretty good. Look how much the Riders D slipped when their pressure was negated just a bit. 

I'll give O'Shea until the mid point of next season to build a winner or at least demonstrate he can be a HC in this league. Right now, I'm not convinced. But he deserves a chance to right the ship still.

When has firing a coach mid-season ever proved successful for the Bombers.

In any business when you are incompetent you are shown the door. Making excuses for failure is only opening the door for more failure. Someone is going to have to answer for this total collapse and I'm sure Miller is very aware where the problems lie. I'd be surprised to see him want to continue with the same staff as presently exists. If you want an example of firings midseason, you only have to look at the Als. who got rid of the deadwood quickly and went on to hire people who appear to be succeeding. They look to be in better shape than us at present after firing a head coach and offensive co-ordinator midstream. This baloney about hanging on to failed coaches leads to promoting more failure. I believe O'Shea will survive his first year, some of his co-ordinators, not so much. Putting forth the same crew that has led to this midseason debacle is not going to fly. I look for changes not to just appease a blood thirsty fan group (and there is a lot) but to make this team better AND we can do better.

In any business when you are incompetent you are shown the door. Making excuses for failure is only opening the door for more failure. Someone is going to have to answer for this total collapse and I'm sure Miller is very aware where the problems lie. I'd be surprised to see him want to continue with the same staff as presently exists. If you want an example of firings midseason, you only have to look at the Als. who got rid of the deadwood quickly and went on to hire people who appear to be succeeding. They look to be in better shape than us at present after firing a head coach and offensive co-ordinator midstream. This baloney about hanging on to failed coaches leads to promoting more failure. I believe O'Shea will survive his first year, some of his co-ordinators, not so much. Putting forth the same crew that has led to this midseason debacle is not going to fly. I look for changes not to just appease a blood thirsty fan group (and there is a lot) but to make this team better AND we can do better.

You're time line is a little skewed regarding the Als, they canned Dan Hawkins after 5 games last year and Popp finished out the season. Higgins was hired very late in the off-season, I think around the CFL draft date. This year they fired Rick Worman just after TC and promoted Ryan Dinwiddie to OC.  Speculation was rampant this year that Tom Higgins would get fired mid-season but it turned out he righted the ship when they brought in Garcia and Matthews as "consultants" to help out their stumbling QB brigade. 

I agree a mid-season firing rarely benefits the club, O'Shea has until the end of next season to see if "he get's it".

At the beginning of this season, I was cautiously optimistic with reservations about Etcheverry. The caution was somewhat blunted by the quick start and I waited to see what the second half of the season brought. As unexpectedly  good as the first half was, troubling trends began to appear and worsened as time went on. The really disheartening thing was that the same damned things not only repeated, but got worse. And then got worse yet.

The talent is simply not there in critical areas- that was obvious in critical areas but that can be changed. Even now, the some of the new blood brought in show promise and give reason to hope that next year will be much better. Nothing, however, is going to improve unless the really bad coaching decisions are acknowledged and steps taken to make sure they are never repeated. It comes down to Norman Einstein's definition of insanity. We lost the last game and at least one other because a failing and fading Drew Willy was left in way too long. Against the Leos, it was obvious to even me that Willy was floundering by the end of the second quarter and got worse in the third and fourth, and yet he was left in to both take a physical pounding and remain totally ineffective to boot.

If O'Shea and Co. could not see what the heck was going on and take steps to both save Willy's confidenceand maybe even win the game, he is not going to be the person to turn this team around. I would bet the players who care are just as downcast at this point in the season as they were last year. We have one more loss to endure and then the season will be mercifully ovww it is going to fixed.er. Then O'Shea and the coaches owe a full accounting to the fans and players as to how this year went off the rails and ho

except etch and belle have sucked for a long time now, definitely not just one season.