Neufeld injured again

Tracker

When healthy, Neufeld is a legit starting Canadian OL.  He started almost every game for the Riders a couple years ago.  I still think giving up the 2nd rounder for him was worth it.  We need to be patient with him.  Worst case is he's our 6th OL which still has value.  I'm hoping the Bombers put him on an offseason training regimen so he comes to camp with a higher fitness level next TC.

we gave up more than just a 2nd round pick. We also gave up a player who was one of the best at his positions who helped the Riders win the Grey Cup. People need to stop pretending that Hall had 0 value and shouldn't be counted as part of the trade. We gave up a star player AND a 2nd round pick to get an injury prone OL. That trade stank from day 1. Could have used those assets to get something more worthwhile.

Yer Fkn delusional if you thought we could get more then a starting canadian lineman for a rent a player for x amount of games... Especially knowing the NFL was his goal for next season... What, you think we coulda got ray or bourke or Cornish?

Give yer head a shake man..

If we had traded Hall for Neufeld straight up my tune would be entirely different. The fact that we had to throw in a 2nd round pick is what makes the trade poor. 

Yeah, one for one then fine. But losing that pick made it a bad trade. Neufeld not  playing just  makes it worse.  

hell Hall and a late round pick is fine too, but a 2nd round? Too much. Taman was the one looking to add a piece for a playoff run, coulda squeezed him harder than Walters did. 

What? No mention of the 4th round pick we get in 2015? a deeper draft year?

And still the possibility of Neufeld playing for years?

If that's the way you eat lunch, remind me not to dine out with you.

How can you say a fourth rounder is better than a second rounder in a stronger draft year, Dee? In any year, a fourth will never equal a second.

Look at it this way.

Hall is out of the equation. Gone.          Neufeld, an NI, is still here.

Sask. has their 2nd rounder.  We'll pick up our 4th rounder in 2015.

If I read correctly, these players are closer in quality than you'd normally see.

They have one chance to get a decent player….we have two chances,

And that's all these trade transactions are….chances at acquiring good players.

There has to be expectations. Neufeld was injured & never played a down for us last season. This season not even a handful of games. The rest of the time on the IR. We have no assets except a continually injured player. 

Another way to look at it is this way, Neufeld actually played 7 games for us this year, more than a handful and Hall has played none in the CFL this year and might not ever play in the CFL again. 

4th and 2nd? Big deal really... 2014 was a pretty weak draft year, didn't we pick 17th anyway after some trades so essentially we did get a 2nd rd pick this year, just had to trade a couple thirds to get it, but reality is... the guy they would have taken at 11th is probably the guy we got at 17th anyways. 

So really... sounds like we got the guy we wanted anyway, that was Briggs, you can talk about DL and guys like that but the bombers wanted briggs and would have taken him at 11th more than likely if we still had that pick.. just so happens we took him at 17th.

Think some of you are over estimating the talent in the 2014 draft, we traded 2 3rds to get the 17th, Walters probably only does that if 1. the guy he wants is still there and 2. It's not a strong draft class. 

When healthy, Neufeld is a legit starting Canadian OL.  He started almost every game for the Riders a couple years ago.  I still think giving up the 2nd rounder for him was worth it.  We need to be patient with him.  Worst case is he's our 6th OL which still has value.  I'm hoping the Bombers put him on an offseason training regimen so he comes to camp with a higher fitness level next TC.

we gave up more than just a 2nd round pick. We also gave up a player who was one of the best at his positions who helped the Riders win the Grey Cup. People need to stop pretending that Hall had 0 value and shouldn't be counted as part of the trade. We gave up a star player AND a 2nd round pick to get an injury prone OL. That trade stank from day 1. Could have used those assets to get something more worthwhile. 

I look at the trade as:

Neufeld for 2nd rounder

4th rounder for Hall

that's a pretty silly way to look at it. it was Neufeld and a 4th for Hall and a 2nd. We gave up the better player and the better draft pick in the trade. Now sure the contract lengths come into play and maybe shift the value to Neufeld over Hall, but the fact that he's injury prone sure doesn't help. Some people just get such raging hard ons over trades they have to tell themselves it was a good trade no matter what. Walters has been pretty iffy in trades. He over pays to get what he wants and that can damage you long term if it becomes a trend. 

oops

What? No mention of the 4th round pick we get in 2015? a deeper draft year?

And still the possibility of Neufeld playing for years?

If that's the way you eat lunch, remind me not to dine out with you.

How can you say a fourth rounder is better than a second rounder in a stronger draft year, Dee? In any year, a fourth will never equal a second.

You've got that backwards. The 4th rounder is in the stronger year.

The 2014 draft was universally described as being one of the worst draft classes due to the change in eligibility rules. 2015 is considered by many to be one of the best and is stacked b/c all of those players not eligible last year will be in this one.

I feel like that's been explained before...

2014 situation without the trade: No Hall, No Neufeld, 2nd rounder, 1 4th rounder in 2015

2014 situation with the trade: No Hall, Neufeld, no 3rd round pick (cuz we traded up to get a 2nd), 2 4th rounders in 2015

Not much difference except that with the trade we have a potential Cdn O-lineman that's ONLY 26 years old... to write him off already is just ridiculous... if these injury concerns continue next year... and there's still no plan to replace him... then there's some concern about Neufeld's future... still has nothing to do with the trade..

Also... anyone who doesn't realize the CFL draft is a crap-shoot after the first few picks hasn't been paying close enough attention... 

Yer Fkn delusional if you thought we could get more then a starting canadian lineman for a rent a player for x amount of games... Especially knowing the NFL was his goal for next season... What, you think we coulda got ray or bourke or Cornish?

If we had traded Hall for Neufeld straight up my tune would be entirely different. The fact that we had to throw in a 2nd round pick is what makes the trade poor. 

A starting NI Olineman for a second round pick is a good move any day of the week. Hall was leaving anyway, nothing to discuss there.  Neufeld was going to be lost in the Ottawa draft, and that is 100% the only reason we traded him. We have too many quality NI Olineman, and someone was going to be unprotected.  Neufeld is a starter on your line no question about it. Paddy is strong as a bull, and can stand his ground when called upon, also good in run blocking. Still needs time to develop in other areas. He would still be starting here if it hadn't been for Heenan being so good so young. How could Walters have known he was going to get hurt? Neufeld had also just signed a 2 year deal with the riders so you also knew he would be there for that long which sweetens the trade.  I'd welcome him back here gladly, and to be honest I hope the riders are going after him when his contract expires. 

Apparently Neufeld injured his calf muscle at practice yesterday and is once again (still?) injured and unlikely to play this weekend. We gotta start getting warranties with players we trade for. This is getting ridiculous.

or do some research on guys, I think JBR was saying Neufeld was an injury concern when the trade happened, if a poster here can see it why can't the GM? 

It doesn't matter.  2013 season was going nowhere.  We would have lost Hall in the off-season anyways for NFL tryouts.

A starting NI Olineman for a second round pick is a good move any day of the week. Hall was leaving anyway, nothing to discuss there.  Neufeld was going to be lost in the Ottawa draft, and that is 100% the only reason we traded him. We have too many quality NI Olineman, and someone was going to be unprotected.  Neufeld is a starter on your line no question about it. Paddy is strong as a bull, and can stand his ground when called upon, also good in run blocking. Still needs time to develop in other areas. He would still be starting here if it hadn't been for Heenan being so good so young. How could Walters have known he was going to get hurt? Neufeld had also just signed a 2 year deal with the riders so you also knew he would be there for that long which sweetens the trade.  I'd welcome him back here gladly, and to be honest I hope the riders are going after him when his contract expires. 

But that's exactly it... we didn't get Neufeld for either Hall or a 2nd round pick, it was both. You nicely illustrate the reasoning for the Riders to trade him to the Bombers, they were faced with a situation where they were likely to lose him for nothing in the expansion draft so get something for him. In that case why did the Bombers pay a premium for him? Riders were looking to get an asset for the player why did we have to give them a player to help their playoff drive AND a draft pick? Considering the situation the Riders were in with the guy Walters to my mind paid too high a price for a guy who had some question marks in his game. He got his heart set on Neufeld when he was a pending free agent earlier and he didn't even try and haggle, he just paid the price that was asked. Sticker price is sucker price. 

But that's exactly it... we didn't get Neufeld for either Hall or a 2nd round pick, it was both. You nicely illustrate the reasoning for the Riders to trade him to the Bombers, they were faced with a situation where they were likely to lose him for nothing in the expansion draft so get something for him. In that case why did the Bombers pay a premium for him? Riders were looking to get an asset for the player why did we have to give them a player to help their playoff drive AND a draft pick? Considering the situation the Riders were in with the guy Walters to my mind paid too high a price for a guy who had some question marks in his game. He got his heart set on Neufeld when he was a pending free agent earlier and he didn't even try and haggle, he just paid the price that was asked. Sticker price is sucker price. 

Actually you have no idea what the discussions were.

Consider this: according to the Bomber depth charts, this team is 6-2 with Neufeld starting and 0-8 when he doesn't start. I think his was the most critical injury we suffered this year.

We've used six different players in Neufeld's RG spot since he got hurt: Goosen, Swiston, Jones, Knapp, Hinse, and Howard.  No one has stuck in that position.

Neufeld is one of our most important OL and has been impossible to replace.  We've gotta be patient with him.  We have no alternative.

Consider this: according to the Bomber depth charts, this team is 6-2 with Neufeld starting and 0-8 when he doesn't start. I think his was the most critical injury we suffered this year.

We've used six different players in Neufeld's RG spot since he got hurt: Goosen, Swiston, Jones, Knapp, Hinse, and Howard. No one has stuck in that position.

Neufeld is one of our most important OL and has been impossible to replace. We've gotta be patient with him. We have no alternative.

Pretty sure the 0-8 with Neufeld out of the lineup has a lot to DL with other factors than just Neufeld.

Neufeld is not likely to get us to forget Walby, but he had the right passport and CFL experience. The ripple effect of losing a starting Canuck went right down the line and probably changed the whole game plan with all the juggling. It sure didn't help when every import O-lineman who stepped in was inept.

Neufeld is not likely to get us to forget Walby, but he had the right passport and CFL experience. The ripple effect of losing a starting Canuck went right down the line and probably changed the whole game plan with all the juggling. It sure didn't help when every import O-lineman who stepped in was inept.

Yeah, exactly, I don't think that Neufeld is the greatest OL talent the league has ever seen, but his replacements weren't as good as he was, and losing him forced an extra national onto the D and I think that's really hampered us.