Is a demotion possible?

Brandon

We've seen OC's demoted before in the league ,  would it be possible for the club to demote Burke to a DC next season and bring in a new head coach?      

He seems to want to escape the public pressure,  clearly nobody is going to hire him as a HC anytime soon....   might as well pay him to do a job rather then paying him to sit on the couch?

Would it be possible to give him the ultimatum of either being the DC or Quitting?   

We've seen OC's demoted before in the league ,  would it be possible for the club to demote Burke to a DC next season and bring in a new head coach?      

He seems to want to escape the public pressure,  clearly nobody is going to hire him as a HC anytime soon....   might as well pay him to do a job rather then paying him to sit on the couch?

Would it be possible to give him the ultimatum of either being the DC or Quitting?   

I would be afraid that this would backfire like the Marshall/Miller fiasco. Unless you hire an offensive guy as the HC who doesn't know anything about defense and he defers everything on defense to Burke, like deciding who starts at MLB.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you asked Burke off the record right now, if he had a chance to go back to being just a DC, that he would at least consider it.

Ultimately though the new HC would be the one who hires his own coordinators, so even if Burke agreed to it, it likely wouldn't happen.

It rarely happens, and when it does, it rarely goes well.  A boss that couldn't handle top management gets demoted back to middle management.  Wouldn't you think there may be some respect and motivational issues, even though Burke is a tried-and-true great DC? 

Secondly, do you think a new HC would want someone who could possibly undermine his authority?  Thirdly, would the new HC even want him; even though the WBB are on the hook for his salary.

In the case of HC's, they all get there by being great at one phase of the game.  Most instances, it's just better to eat the loss, and start fresh.

I honestly can't remember seeing this in Football.  I've seen in hockey where a GM is let go and he becomes a special advisor but I can't say I've seen it in football. 

I also don't think it's good for team dynamics or the new head coach who's coming in.  

I honestly can't remember seeing this in Football.  I've seen in hockey where a GM is let go and he becomes a special advisor but I can't say I've seen it in football. 

I also don't think it's good for team dynamics or the new head coach who's coming in.  

In hockey that happens almost everytime a Coach is let go.  they accept another position within the organization.  Often scouting.  I'm sure sometimes they do very little and sometimes they do a lot.  Too bad this isn't as common in football.  I would rather be paaying Lapo to be at NFL camps writing reports then working for TSN.  Then he could scout CIS all fall.  You can say he would never do a good job of it etc but it works in hockey.