Fly to Edmonton with the Bombers

Logan007

Ok I gotta ask.  Why does it seem people hate Edmonton?  And I mean the city, not the team.  I've been going there since I was a kid for trips as my aunt use to live there and we always had fun.  But I told a co-worker who use to live there that we were going on vacation to Edmonton and then Banff and she was like "ew...why are you going to Edmonton?".  And then when I was in Edmonton, some guy that use to live in Manitoba saw my Bomber plates and drove up to us to say hello.  I said "you've got a nice city here" and he was like "nah...I don't really like it here".  I didn't have time to ask him why because the light changed.

So...what's with all the Edmonton hate?

Most don`t know what Edmonton has to offer Logan, it`s a beautiful city but many who live there see nothing but the pot hole filled streets on their way to work every day

See, that's weird, because most of the streets I drove on were a million times better then any streets here.  Yes some of the streets had pot holes, but nothing compared to Winnipeg.  Mind you, I didn't drive all over the city.  But, I mean, Calgary streets suck pretty bad too.

Way too much $$$ for one day vacation.

Yeah, agreed.  I just posted it cause it looked neat.  But I'd want to be there for longer then a day.

I could do a one week all inclusive to Cuba (including flight, hotel, drinks and food) for less than that. 

You're either exaggerating or picking a shitty resort.

BC does the same thing (they call it Operation Orange) but it's even more expensive - $1599 + tax to go to Ottawa or $1099 + tax to go to Calgary.  The only difference I can see is that the Lions throw in a custom jersey while the Bombers give you some sort of souvenir.

Yeah, agreed.  I just posted it cause it looked neat.  But I'd want to be there for longer then a day.

I could do a one week all inclusive to Cuba (including flight, hotel, drinks and food) for less than that. 

If you go when it's not peak season (travel in Oct-Dec) , you can definitely get those kinds of prices at decent resorts in Cuba.

If you go when it's not peak season (travel in Oct-Dec) , you can definitely get those kinds of prices at decent resorts in Cuba.

Yep, in December before Christmas, and it would be a decent resort...3.5 to 4 star. 

Yep, in December before Christmas, and it would be a decent resort...3.5 to 4 star. 

Ah ok...sorry.  My mind is in January-February mode since we're trying to plan a trip to a resort during that time.  Can't take another winter without a trip down south somewhere.

**** everyone (including Dave) who shits on Edmonton. Edmonton is Winnipeg with more money. Incredibly similar cities and I love Edmonton for the same reasons. I spend most of my time in Calgary and do enjoy it there, but I love Edmonton way more.

And Winnipeg is a **** hole too. 

**** everyone (including Dave) who shits on Edmonton. Edmonton is Winnipeg with more money. Incredibly similar cities and I love Edmonton for the same reasons. I spend most of my time in Calgary and do enjoy it there, but I love Edmonton way more.

Weren't you complaining about Calgary in another thread?

Edmonton is just a really big version of selkirk. I rememebr being in Edmonton and this ugly girl was talking about how beautiful Edmonton was and I was like "I'm pretty sure I drove by a giant beer can on top of the worls ugliest brewery on the way to some over hyped mall" lets be serious here.

Weren't you complaining about Calgary in another thread?

Calgary has it's own problems, but as a city I like it a hell of a lot more than Winnipeg or Edmonton. 

Would have been better if it was a three-day two-night trip.  Have it so you can have a shuttle take you to and from the Mall for 1/2 day of shopping and then on the night the football game isn't on, have the option to go to a concert (if one is happening) or to a nightclub or sports bar.  Add $75 per person for the extra night stay at the hotel and they might actually get more people going on this trip.  One-night, 2 days just doesn't seem worth it for one event.

Haven't been to Edmonton in awhile, but it did like a decent city to me.  Have the nice River Park winding around and below downtown which I think is the city's greatest feature.  Now that the airport near downtown is closed we will see a more impressive skyline develop over the coming decades - the 70 story Stantec tower will be the first of many hopefully.  I think it's a city with a few more things to do than Winnipeg.

I've never understood why so many Calgarians like to put down Edmonton.  I get that Calgary is the wealthiest city on the prairies, has the most corporate head offices west of Toronto, has the most impressive skyline in Canada next to Toronto..everything is shiny and new.  40,000 or so people (mostly young) added to the population every year.  City with the largest percentage of young people (under 35) in Canada.  But outside the Stampede, a 2-week affair, I really don't think Calgary offers more entertainment-wise than Edmonton.  I won't count Banff as that is well outside the city.  Same with Drumheller.  

I guess Calgary has the better zoo, but do they have a park that matches the beauty of the River Park in Edmonton.  The only memorable park I can recall in Calgary is that big hill on the north side of city desolate of any trees.  ACtually not that memorable now that I think about it.  

In terms of arts and concerts, I'm pretty sure Edmonton surpasses Calgary.  It's already well-known that Edmonton gets more concerts that Calgary, probably double the amount, and with the recent build of the new art gallery and the soon-to-be-built history museum, Edmonton will surpass Calgary (if it hasn't already) in that regard.  Same with sports venues - Calgary has an old out-of-date Saddledome while Edmonton is building one of the best arenas in North America,  Commonwealth is a fantastic, well-maintained stadium while McMahon is simply old and dated.

I could be wrong, maybe someone here can fill me in on what Calgary offers for entertainment that surpasses Edmonton.  For myself, looking from the outside, I'm not seeing it.

I like Calgary, a rich beautiful city with great roads.yes, it has out grown it's road system but not a bump anywhere.

Edmonton ..just never ever liked that City.

What are you talking about!?!?  I just drove through Calgary this summer and it was filled with potholes.