Max's HOT TAKE of the Day: the meaninglessness of the running game in the CFL

max power

That's right, a new regular feature! (until enough people complain and it gets banned) Where I make a sizzling hot take on Bomber-relevant topics, and then watch as all your socks are knocked off by my incredible insight.  So without further adieu...

The running game in the CFL is pretty much meaningless.

There's been a lot of talk about how the Bombers can't be a truly great (or good) team while their running game is struggling.  To that I say, nonsense.  I think that if you break a team down into these components: passing, running, pass defense, run defense, special teams - the least important of all those are running (and as a result run defense is a tie or close second).

Seems to me that the good teams in the CFL ALWAYS have a great passing game, and sometimes a good ground game comes as a result of that, and sometimes not.  Doesn't really matter either way (although of course it's nice to be able to have success running the ball too).  You never see a good team that's great at running the ball, with a bad passing attack.

So as long as Grigsby and the rest of the offense are able to punch it in for TDs in the red zone (iffy so far), and he is getting yards through the air as well as decent numbers on the ground (yes), then we shouldn't stress out too much about his numbers simply carrying the ball.

Discuss.

Tune in tomorrow for: Rider Fans: Really Annoying, or Really Annoying and Inbred?

That's right, a new regular feature! (until enough people complain and it gets banned) Where I make a sizzling hot take on Bomber-relevant topics, and then watch as all your socks are knocked off by my incredible insight.  So without further adieu...

The running game in the CFL is pretty much meaningless.

There's been a lot of talk about how the Bombers can't be a truly great (or good) team while their running game is struggling.  To that I say, nonsense.  I think that if you break a team down into these components: passing, running, pass defense, run defense, special teams - the least important of all those are running (and as a result run defense is a tie or close second).

Seems to me that the good teams in the CFL ALWAYS have a great passing game, and sometimes a good ground game comes as a result of that, and sometimes not.  Doesn't really matter either way (although of course it's nice to be able to have success running the ball too).  You never see a good team that's great at running the ball, with a bad passing attack.

So as long as Grigsby and the rest of the offense are able to punch it in for TDs in the red zone (iffy so far), and he is getting yards through the air as well as decent numbers on the ground (yes), then we shouldn't stress out too much about his numbers simply carrying the ball.

Discuss.

Tune in tomorrow for: Rider Fans: Really Annoying, or Really Annoying and Inbred?

I vote for all of the above, plus mouth-breathers.

Hmmm... what's that stat about Andrew Harris ?  If has 20+ carries, they've only lost one game?  

I think that's because the only time Harris can get over 20 carries is when their passing game is successful enough that they either have a big lead, or they have the ball so much that he ends up getting that many carries.

If it was simply that when Harris carries the ball lots their offense is successful, then he would get 20+ carries every single game. It would be stupid of them not to.

I think if your running game is not so hot then the statement is true. Calgary with Bo Levi and Cornish is a pretty lethal combo and WPG and any other club would love to have an RB who hits 1000yards. Now I'm worried about tomorrow's game coming down to an RB battle :(

After what we did to Andrew Harris, I'm not too worried about Will Ford. I'm more concerned with Durant and the fact that everyone is all excited about the Bombers again and picking them to win, just like before the Edmonton game.

Bonus HOT TAKE prediction: If the Bombers lose tomorrow certain journalists will be calling for a complete dismantling and rebuild of whatever part of the team hurt the team the most.

Hmmm... what's that stat about Andrew Harris ?  If has 20+ carries, they've only lost one game?  

I think that's because the only time Harris can get over 20 carries is when their passing game is successful enough that they either have a big lead, or they have the ball so much that he ends up getting that many carries.

If it was simply that when Harris carries the ball lots their offense is successful, then he would get 20+ carries every single game. It would be stupid of them not to.

If it was that simple the first 20 plays would be an Andew Harris carry every game and they'd just hand out the grey cup early.

The running game is really under rated. If you can generate a strong rushing attack it makes your quarterbacks job a lot easier. Durant is not having the same success this year as he did last year with a very strong running game backing him up, The Argos running game is a bit unsettled and Ray is not doing as well as usual, without Cornish BLM looks pretty pedestrian, when BC gets Harris going Glenn all of a sudden looks a lot better... You need the ability to run the ball in the CFL in order to get your passing game working because if you're one dimensional it's too easy to defend. 

I disagree with your hot take and anxiously await the ban-hammer.

A strong running game can grind the opposing defence into a fine dust.

A competent running game keeps linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage instead of cheating back into pass defence.

A competent running back who is a threat to catch screens can keep defenders from taking free runs at the QB, even on pass plays.

An incompetent running game lets defences get away with blitzing/dropping 9 into coverage without fear of being punished for it.

You can always win a game on the strength of a good passing attack, but it's not as easy as when you also have a good run game.

A competent running game keeps linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage instead of cheating back into pass defence.

A competent running back who is a threat to catch screens can keep defenders from taking free runs at the QB, even on pass plays.

An incompetent running game lets defences get away with blitzing/dropping 9 into coverage without fear of being punished for it.

You can always win a game on the strength of a good passing attack, but it's not as easy as when you also have a good run game.

I more or less agree with you actually. If you have an actual incompetent running game, it puts you behind the 8-ball. But even in Winnipeg recently we haven't seen that. Maybe in the super short Bloi Dei Dorzon era.

I used to hear it stated like this. In the NFL, you run to set up the pass. If your RB is churning up yards on the ground, the safeties had to play closer to the line to stop him, opening up the big plays. In the CFL, you pass to set up the run, where getting a big lead and forcing CBs and LBs to drop into coverage is the easiest way to give your RB space.

Now, maybe that statement isn't so accurate anymore now that the NFL has become more of a pass first league, but I think it helps explain how the running game and the passing game can work together. In the CFL I don't think you can rely on a strong RB to win you games, but saying it's meaningless is a big overstatement, especially when the weather gets cold.

In the CFL I don't think you can rely on a strong RB to win you games, but saying it's meaningless is a big overstatement, especially when the weather gets cold.

You can rely on a running back to win you some games, but if you can't pass the ball you won't win. Trying to be a running team doesn't work, trying to be a passing team that can't run doesn't work either, you need to be balanced. 

I more or less agree with you actually. If you have an actual incompetent running game, it puts you behind the 8-ball. But even in Winnipeg recently we haven't seen that. Maybe in the super short Bloi Dei Dorzon era.

I winz the internetz!!!11!  Cat videos for everywunz!!!11!

Now, maybe that statement isn't so accurate anymore now that the NFL has become more of a pass first league,

For teams that have a good to great QB.  Which is still only half.

That's true, but those have tended to be the teams that have had more (regular season) success in recent years, and the league in general is throwing more than ever before.

What might be telling is that only 1 of the bottom 10 rushing offenses made the playoffs (New Orleans), while 4 teams in the bottom 10 passing did (Seattle, San Fransisco, Carolina, Kansas City). In any case, I think in both CFL or NFL a balanced attack leads to the most success, and you can't count out the running game no matter how well you can throw the ball.

The Riders lead the CFL in percentage of first down plays being a running play at 52% and they also lead the CFL in average passing yards on first down plays at 9.3 yards per pass. They also lead the league in most rushing yards per game and the only team ahead of them in total yards per game has played more games. George Cortez has stayed dedicated to using the run as part of their attack and is more stubborn than most when it comes to dropping the run when they fall behind. 

BC leads the league with the highest average number of running plays per game at 22.0.

On the flip side the Toronto Argos not only lead the league in total yards, net yards, average yards per game, passing yards, passing plays per game and most offensive plays but sport a 2-4 record. They are a pass first team (on first down they pass 72% of the time) and dedicated to it (and fairly good at it if their receivers would stop getting hurt) but not turning it into results. In part because they are also the 7th best running team in the League.

And if the run game was irrelevant and the passing game was so good, why not just keep passing then?  ;)