Max's HOT TAKE of the Day: the meaninglessness of the running game in the CFL

max power

It goes without saying but in the NFL, it's easier to run the ball because of the extra down, that makes a huge difference, I'm sure if the CFL had 4 downs, you'd see more running plays also but the reality of the CFL is, you only have 2 downs really to make a first. A good running game IMO in the CFL means if on 1st down, you run the ball, you get 5 or more yards.. a bad running game is 4 yards or less on 1st down... A good running game with 3 minutes left to go in the game should allow you to run the clock out, a bad running game means you probably don't. 

I don't think you will ever see a run first team in the CFL though, regardless of who they have at running back, what you do see though is teams with strong running backs tend to be able to control the time of possession battle and in the CFL, that's important for sure. Running the ball effectively wears down a defence, it keeps a defence honest, if all you are doing is passing the ball, it sets you up for failure more often than not though because the other team can send the house really all the time. In the CFL, you do however see running backs utilized in many different ways, not just running but as a passing threat out of the back field, little screen or little 2 yard pass to the back and he can turn that in to a first down..

However with all that being said, i remember a couple seasons ago, our last playoff victory in winnipeg i believe, vs hamilton, chris garrett ran the ball down their throats and basically we won the game cuz hamilton couldn't stop him. I guess in the CFL, it is a passing league but at times, later in the year when it gets colder, a good running game can win you games. 

However with all that being said, i remember a couple seasons ago, our last playoff victory in winnipeg i believe, vs hamilton, chris garrett ran the ball down their throats and basically we won the game cuz hamilton couldn't stop him. I guess in the CFL, it is a passing league but at times, later in the year when it gets colder, a good running game can win you games. 

Coupled with the most anemic offensive performance I'd seen in a while on Hamilton's part. 

That game was freezing!  Had to drink a lot to keep warm....

Coupled with the most anemic offensive performance I'd seen in a while on Hamilton's part. 

That game was freezing!  Had to drink a lot to keep warm....

And there might have been poisonous snakes in the vicinity!

I'm surprised the OP has not deleted this thread after last nights game :P

Haha. I was actually thinking about that this morning. Thanks Bombers.

Maybe I already tried to stick this caveat in earlier, but I guess when your running game is completely nonexistant, then it actually can hurt you.

BUT, I just want to point out that even with absolutely zero running attack the Bombers very likely still would have won if you just take away either Willy's fumble or the pick six, or if Kuale had held on to that interception.  And even with Messam running the ball down their throat for half the game, their offense only scored 10 points. Some of which were turnover aided.

So maybe that game actually proved me right!

I thought Willy passed the ball quite well actually, until it fell apart at the end.

To put up over 300 yards again when your running game is absolutely no threat at all is pretty impressive to me.

And again, Messam's 130 yards led to almost no points. They needed a passing attack to finish drives, and they didn't have it.  I'm encouraged by last night's game.

Why would you hit with your left hand if your right hand is stronger?

If you only ever hit with your right hand it gets pretty easy to block the punches.

I'm surprised the OP has not deleted this thread after last nights game :P

Haha. I was actually thinking about that this morning. Thanks Bombers.

If you do one thing extremely well, you always have a chance.

The Riders run-block extremely well.

Despite the interceptions and drives that didn't drive far enough, there is a decent case to be made from last night's game that the Bombers pass extremely well.  Willy faced pressure that was off the charts.  He didn't have a clean pocket all game.  It wasn't easy, certainly wasn't flawless, but he slogged his way through what should have been a disaster and managed to complete a decent percentage of his passes.  And a lot of them he just threw away.  I think he threw away as many passes last night as the rest of the season, and he hasn't been shy to do that.  Wish he'd done it on that 2nd and 5.

Here's what I like about Willy.  Last night there was a play where he was under tremendous pressure, just as he was every snap.  He managed to roll out to his left and escape two players who had a grip on his jersey.  He got to the outside, looked downfield, and then just threw it away.  Last year, if Hall had done the same thing, that ball would have been forced into triple coverage.  I guess his thought process was "That was the start of a highlight reel play, now let's make the ending!".  Willy gets that not every down gives you a chance to win the game.

Until the last 2 minutes last night.

Guess he wanted to beat his old team pretty badly.  That was a poor decision.