Hajrullahu Vs. Renaud

So Renaud hurt himself in warm up last game and obviously wasn't in the game.  I'm not sure how bad the injury is and if he will miss another game or not.   Lirim filled in and after a shaky start ended up with an average of 45.2 yards.  Renaud through three games has an average of 42.7.  The highest in the league right now is Waters at 48.5.  

Anyone think we should have Lirim doing both Kicking and punting and freeing up a National spot??

On the other hand, Hajrullahu is 100% on field goals when he is only placekicking, and 50% when he is also handling the punting.

True....But he hit the post on what a 45+ yarder?  He was going to miss at some point this season.   And he likely wasnt prepared to do both jobs this week.  Give him some practice to do both and maybe he can still hit the long FGs but give us good field position.  I just think we can use the national spot somewhere else is all.

Roster spot isn't a big deal, we don't really have anyone to take it anyways.

I'd make two import changes that would mostly affect special teams:

Markett for Unamba, which also gives us some benefit on D.  Unamba is next to useless on D, taking dumb penalties on special teams.  Markett is a great special teamer, good in the secondary, multiple positions.  Suber for Unamba would be another possibility.  I just don't get what Unamba is doing to stay on the roster.  Yes he brings a lot of effort to special teams, but guys like Suber and Markett can do that and be good CFL players on D too, without taking 15 yard penalties.  Unamba's probably coming off if Leggett is healthy.

Woods for Cotton/Grigsby, whichever one isn't starting RB.  Our return game has been disastrous since Woods was benched, and was above average with Woods.  Anyone figure out what the mystery "injury" on Woods is yet?

Markett for Unamba, which also gives us some benefit on D.  Unamba is next to useless on D, taking dumb penalties on special teams.  Markett is a great special teamer, good in the secondary, multiple positions.  Suber for Unamba would be another possibility.  I just don't get what Unamba is doing to stay on the roster.  Yes he brings a lot of effort to special teams, but guys like Suber and Markett can do that and be good CFL players on D too, without taking 15 yard penalties.  Unamba's probably coming off if Leggett is healthy.

Woods for Cotton/Grigsby, whichever one isn't starting RB.  Our return game has been disastrous since Woods was benched, and was above average with Woods.  Anyone figure out what the mystery "injury" on Woods is yet?

I agree with 2 proposed import changes...

Suber/Markett for Unamba.

Woods for Grigsby/Cotton

Want this changes too...

- Swiston/Goosen on RG and move Neufeld on the LG.

- Insert Kromah into the lineup to help the run D

Markett for Unamba, which also gives us some benefit on D. Unamba is next to useless on D, taking dumb penalties on special teams. Markett is a great special teamer, good in the secondary, multiple positions. Suber for Unamba would be another possibility. I just don't get what Unamba is doing to stay on the roster. Yes he brings a lot of effort to special teams, but guys like Suber and Markett can do that and be good CFL players on D too, without taking 15 yard penalties. Unamba's probably coming off if Leggett is healthy.

Woods for Cotton/Grigsby, whichever one isn't starting RB. Our return game has been disastrous since Woods was benched, and was above average with Woods. Anyone figure out what the mystery "injury" on Woods is yet?

Woods is not injured. He's just being stashed.

I remember O'Shea praising Unamba during TC, saying he was very versatile and could play anywhere in the backfield. Forgot how good Markett was on Special Teams, that might put him ahead of Suber in O'Shea's book and if nothing else he's younger and cheaper.

I always thought Suber was great on special teams (11, 8, 3, 6 special teams tackles the last 4 seasons).  He has just played less on ST in the recent years.  

Markett for Unamba, which also gives us some benefit on D. Unamba is next to useless on D, taking dumb penalties on special teams. Markett is a great special teamer, good in the secondary, multiple positions. Suber for Unamba would be another possibility. I just don't get what Unamba is doing to stay on the roster. Yes he brings a lot of effort to special teams, but guys like Suber and Markett can do that and be good CFL players on D too, without taking 15 yard penalties. Unamba's probably coming off if Leggett is healthy.

Woods for Cotton/Grigsby, whichever one isn't starting RB. Our return game has been disastrous since Woods was benched, and was above average with Woods. Anyone figure out what the mystery "injury" on Woods is yet?

Woods is not injured. He's just being stashed.

Proof or speculation?

Suber can also tackle much better than many showed last game, and I've been talking about Woods' hands since training camp...watch though...now that I've said that if they insert him, he drops one.

I understand the need to upgrade the Bomber  talent level but I prefer continuity and running with vets because you know more or less what you've got.  Because of this I wasn't that thrilled about getting rid of Will Ford especially when he was not given any game action this year and I won't be happy if they cut loose Woods either without a superior replacement.  Continually "plugging in" new players trying to improve in positions  that are not really problem areas gets old quick when the results long-term are not as good as the solution the original player provided.  Plus I would have to think that this player movement eventually wears on team chemistry as no player can be immune to the "who's next mentality".  At some point you have to expect to run with the horses you have, funny but they used to use a phrase "making the team" which does not seem to apply anymore.

Suber can also tackle much better than many showed last game, and I've been talking about Woods' hands since training camp...watch though...now that I've said that if they insert him, he drops one.

I understand the need to upgrade the Bomber  talent level but I prefer continuity and running with vets because you know more or less what you've got.  Because of this I wasn't that thrilled about getting rid of Will Ford especially when he was not given any game action this year and I won't be happy if they cut loose Woods either without a superior replacement.  Continually "plugging in" new players trying to improve in positions  that are not really problem areas gets old quick when the results long-term are not as good as the solution the original player provided.  Plus I would have to think that this player movement eventually wears on team chemistry as no player can be immune to the "who's next mentality".  At some point you have to expect to run with the horses you have, funny but they used to use a phrase "making the team" which does not seem to apply anymore.

I agree with you to some degree, but running with the horses you have has been the basic theme around here for a long time. This regime is committed to doing whatever they can to improve, rather than maintaining the status quo. I'm all for that...because...do what you always do...get what you always got!

Kind of an unwritten rule that kickers are replaced only when they get injured so I would not be surprised if Renaud is cut soon. Sure the new guy shanked 1 or 2 but then so does Renaud.

What are the implications of cutting a Canuck kicker? Are we better off having 2?

First time I've heard of this unwritten rule you speak of.

You saw what happened when one of two goes down to injury. A disadvantage of having only one kicker is, who plays in his place if he is hurt.

Have you ever seen Renaud try to kick a field goal? We'll be going for it on 3rd down LOTS if Lirim ever gets injured during a game.

Although, you might be surprised who could come out of the woodwork if you need him. 

In his final season with the Bombers, Joe Poplawski assumed the placekicking chores. Trevor Kennerd missed 8 games in 1986 and Cal Murphy lost confidence in Paul Osbaldiston. Poplawski connected on 8 out of 10 field goals. (http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=38455.0;wap2)

I remember thought (forgot about it but when you mentioned it I remember that). I say you don't cut Renaud, you leave him on the roster. Lirim is a rookie, let him concentrate on the place kicking for now. Eventually he can be the punter that's not a problem but why rush him in now. Besides, look at the arm Renaud has lol. 

So Renaud hurt himself in warm up last game and obviously wasn't in the game.  I'm not sure how bad the injury is and if he will miss another game or not.   Lirim filled in and after a shaky start ended up with an average of 45.2 yards.  Renaud through three games has an average of 42.7.  The highest in the league right now is Waters at 48.5.  

Anyone think we should have Lirim doing both Kicking and punting and freeing up a National spot??

I'm sure there are people who think this.  I'm not one of them.