Areas of Improvement

Interesting that some of you think Howard sucked in the preseason considering he didn't play.

Didn't he play against Calgary? I recall Peterson being terrible in both of the preseason games and Howard struggling with the second unit against the Stamps.

Maybe I'm wrong, I was pretty certain he was a scratch. But the odds of me being wrong are high.

Goossen is being massively overrated here.  I wouldn't start him anywhere but centre, he showed he's not ready to get isolated blocking one on one against Ottawa, at this point he's a good speed bump.  Think of how badly Neufeld struggled last night when Montreal was stunting.  Goossen plays hard, but he's not ready for that.

Have to make some decisions pretty quick - Edmonton's D is pretty good, not quite as insane as Noel Thorpe but still...

My concern is that Howard gets another chance - like CK and Boatman were DelMonaco's projects... looks like Howard might be our 2014 'project'... scary thought

January-Neufeld-Morely-Knapp-Jones gives us our best shot imo

Plus, we might as well have played Pontbriand all night instead of Grigsby for the offensive MB called

I think I kinda agree with this.

Neufeld played the LG before and didnt look lost.

Morley and Knapp combo whown very well on the run blocking during the pre-season

Jones started few games on RT last year and fared well.

Watching the game again this morning that Stafford TD was just painful.  Sherman looked like he was standing in cement.  There's no way Sherman can start next week.

Bigger concern on that one is Sears.  None of our DB's are going to win that race downfield.  Looked like they were in cover 1 (safety only man deep) and Sears was way late to read that wheel route, which was the only deep route the Als ran on the play.  He reads that and gets on top of that route, it's nothing.

Watching the game again this morning that Stafford TD was just painful.  Sherman looked like he was standing in cement.  There's no way Sherman can start next week.

Bigger concern on that one is Sears.  None of our DB's are going to win that race downfield.  Looked like they were in cover 1 (safety only man deep) and Sears was way late to read that wheel route, which was the only deep route the Als ran on the play.  He reads that and gets on top of that route, it's nothing.

This all kind of comes back to playing 3 imports on the OL...

If we don't have to juggle, Sears is still WIL and more of a threat to stop Whitaker, blitz Smith... totally different game.

I think you have to look at Swiston (if he is actually healthy) at RG or running 3 NI receivers

Kohlert-Moore-JFG-Denmark-Carter

JBR, so in your opinion is Goossen a year away? Do we need to deal for another NI OL?

A year away from what?  Starting?

I'm not sure he'll ever be a very good guard but he's really raw and he should develop rapidly.  I think he'll be a fine centre, and that's where they are developing him.

There's no one to deal for, and the list of no one is going to keep dwindling with injuries.  I think you'll see a fair amount of 3 import OL's through the course of this season around the league.

The play that Sherman was not all speed it was more indecision at the snap once he was best he was beat. Thought he did well outside that play. Seems like you have one play go against you and people around here label you by that single play.

Stafford ran a really nice route - rubbed Sherman on the ref and that was enough for a couple steps...  still Sherman shouldn't be thrown to the wolves like this, give him a year to develop...

I think Dunn's shallow coverage and hesitant 'blitzes' are much worse (but less noticeable) than one bad play against Sherman...

Biggest difference - Dunn has Randle for support, Sherman has Bucknor...  Sherman's side of the field is getting a lot more attention

Things change so fast. I think most of us had written this year off as rebuilding and were sort of hoping we would look like we had turned a corner and maybe we would win 7 games at the most.

Now, the night after one of the most thrilling victories of the post Taman era (just my way of lumping the Kelly and Mack eras together) we are bitching about two or three positions. Not scolding, just observing.

The truth as I see it is we still have lots of holes and some talent deficiencies that may take another year of so to repair. Honestly, I think 7-11 and missing the playoffs is still a real possibility. So I am enjoying every minute of this. And ripping Dunn after a win in which he scored a TD is not on my Saturday to-do list. That can wait a year or so till we are truly expecting to be able to beat a Calgary or Saskatchewan in a West Final.

Eg. Matt Bucknor is our wide side corner. He gets beat sometimes? No ****. He's Matt Bucknor. Every game he doesn't get beat for 3 TDs and we pull out a win is getting away with one. It's going to take these guys more then one off season to get 7 starting Canadians better than him.

Wow just wow, he has an off play and all of a sudden he's not good enough.

That's the problem with playing DB, the player only gets attention when they get burned other than that they're anonymous.  Look at Randle, 3 games and his name has only been mentioned twice on the telecast and that's a good sign.

Has to be said, Can pick out a bunch of areas that needs to be improved, its only going to be week 4 so the team can certainly get better and they know that more than we do. Regarding the D stuff, regardless of a couple missed tackles, regardless of washingtons fumbles, the D stepped up when it mattered... Scored14 points actually on there own and those 2 fumbles by demond only lead to 2 field goals. The entire D stepped up when they had too, I'd go as far as to say this.... Week 1, our Offence won the game, week 2, demond and the special teams won the game, at least had the turning point, week 3, our D won the game, Offence went cold for most the second half, stepped up on the last drive though. Without our D playing pretty stellar and scoring 14 points and keeping montreal to 6 on 2 turnovers.. we don't win.

We had i believe 3 turnovers, those 3 turnovers lead to what? 6 points? maybe 13, i can't completely remembered what happened on the als drive after stuffing marve on 3rd down...

we forced 2 turnovers and got 14 points off them. Win by one point, thats the difference really. 

Has to be said, Can pick out a bunch of areas that needs to be improved, its only going to be week 4 so the team can certainly get better and they know that more than we do. Regarding the D stuff, regardless of a couple missed tackles, regardless of washingtons fumbles, the D stepped up when it mattered... Scored14 points actually on there own and those 2 fumbles by demond only lead to 2 field goals. The entire D stepped up when they had too, I'd go as far as to say this.... Week 1, our Offence won the game, week 2, demond and the special teams won the game, at least had the turning point, week 3, our D won the game, Offence went cold for most the second half, stepped up on the last drive though. Without our D playing pretty stellar and scoring 14 points and keeping montreal to 6 on 2 turnovers.. we don't win.

We had i believe 3 turnovers, those 3 turnovers lead to what? 6 points? maybe 13, i can't completely remembered what happened on the als drive after stuffing marve on 3rd down...

we forced 2 turnovers and got 14 points off them. Win by one point, thats the difference really.

the fumble return TD happened after Marve was stuffed.

the fumble return TD happened after Marve was stuffed.

ok so really... we had 3 turnovers that lead to 6 points, they had 2 and we got 14 off them.. the d won the game.