Areas of Improvement

1. Too obvious to most - discipline/penalties - O'Shea will address. I think most of yesterday's rather large penalty total caused by Als putting pressure on us in most areas. We also put massive pressure on the Als and their response was an equal amount of penalties. Things evened out - they won't always!

2. Teague Sherman - looked a bit slow. I joked he was slower than wood but generally he wasn't even in position to whiff a couple times. Just got whupped by speed. We definitely missed Sears up there on the mid-line.

3. Cordero Howard - the new bomber import guard looked to be in pre-season mode. Off-side, holding, the usual stuff a guy who's behind the beat usually does. Don't know if Bombers can survive another week without Greaves in the position - but Greaves is definitely out next week. Who knows how long after. O'Shea and o-line coach Wylie don't have full trust in Goosen yet and Swiston is brutal so it looks like Howard goes another week. (which prevents Romby Bryant and his speed from drawing into lineup)

4. D. Washington - this man is a great football player. But trying to stretch a 4 yard return loss into a 2 yard return loss isn't very smart, especially when you refuse to protect the ball. Typical burner type guy who things his 4.5 speed can outrun 4.6 to 4.7 guys who also have the angle on him. Woods may not be as explosive or able to absorb small hits and remain upright but he's reliable. 

5. O'Shea Coaching Blunder - no I'm not talking about the 2 point convert attempts I'm talking specifically about the decision to gamble in own territory on 3rd and long one in first half. His o-line was barely getting enough push to get a foot, let alone a full yard. This needs to be addressed. But O'Shea does so many things really well on the sideline. I still give him a B+ for his overall coaching last night. But gambling when you're almost guaranteed to fail is not always a good idea.

Yes, we were screaming in chat to get them to put Goossen in.  But it was like they didn't hear us or something.  :)

Howard is just not working out.  Not sure if he just needs more practice or what, but I'd prefer giving the reps to a National.

Good analysis. I think you covered all the main points I would have added. On the OL, I'd put Goossen back in; he can't be any worse than Howard was last night, plus it allows us to start more imports on D.

I think the reason you hold back the goose is mainly you don't want him exposed to mass failure this early in his career. O'Shea is obviously protecting the 21 yr old rook. And yeah, Goose might be a bit better than Howard at this point but Howard is a disposable import. Once his 2, 3 or 4 game run is over - he'll be released and Greaves will draw back in. But bombers are paper thin in reserve talent on their o-line (not just canucks, imports too)

Also if they are going to have Cotton on the roster should utilize him on offence more. Maybe in the hybrid slot/running back position ala Durie, especially when one of the receviers is inneffecive such as Kelly was last night. I counted 2 missed catchable balls. I think his injury slowed him just enough not to make those.

O-line couldn't handle the blitz. But boy did Grigsby ever look better in pass pro last night...

Washington can't be our primary punt returner. I forgot about the stupid hesitation he does before he takes off. Plus the ball control issues, he just cant do it.

Cotton looked pretty explosive on Kick returns though. It's to bad he cant do Punts to cuz he looks like he's even faster than Demond!

It might be time to have Stoudermire on the roster to do punts? Woods does a good job sure, but I really think we need to keep Cotton on the roster.

I agree with all Nates points..

If we're going to beat Edmonton next week we need Sears at SAM and Leggett healthy at Safety. Sears wasn't all that great at safety(not bad either though). Sherman can't be a full time Starter at SAM though IMHO. 

Denmark at WR isn't working out all that great either IMO. I'd like to see him at Slot and Kelly at WR.. Need Watson back next week also

Theres a lot we need to improve on if we're going to beat Edmonton(but mostly just need some bodies back)

Unfortunately, it seems like Watson will always be an iffy decision.

Personally, if he was even 90% I'd get him on the roster, if not for anything else than to block Edmonton's fierce rush. Let him be a decoy when he releases. 

But he's really at peril when he catches the ball and tries to elude tacklers and then ends up in bad heaps.

Goosen could probably fare at least as well as Howard but the main problem is he'd lose confidence getting whipped by bigger/stronger defensive guys. O'Shea knows that and is trying to avoid the problem.

According to TSN 1290, Donovan Alexander was a late scratch for yesterday's game. He's got the same problem as Watson. Guys in their late 20s who just can't seem to get healthy....

We need to fixed that OL asap, Howard can't cut it plus the ratio adjustment we made last make our D weaker.

Personally, I'd like them to start Goossen on the C already  with Morley and Neufeld at guards. If not, I'll move Nefueld to LG, Morely at C, put Goossen at RG.

It could be earlier for Goossen but he's a pro now and he got the best OL coach he can get. He will be OK.

Or we need to pikcup an OL somewhere.

Very surprised no one has commented on Kuale's play last night... I thought he put in a terrible, half-assed effort - not the same guy we have seen in the first two games for sure...

Dunn continues to underwhelm me - he gets bailed out by Randle/Washington/Sear A LOT.  Too slow for the LB blitz...

I agree with all your points Nate - great analysis. I'm wondering why Cotton can't return punts though? Is it because he doesn't understand the rules enough? Also, I"m worried about Edmonton. The Bombers, IMO, are regressing every week, Edmonton is getting stronger. If Reilly starts clicking (he hasn't yet) but if he does, and Edmonton, right now, has the best defense in the league, period - not only can Edmonton beat us, they can blow us out. 

Want to know why that scares me? Cause on the 24th (next Eskimo home game) I'm going to get it from all sides if that happens. Bombers gotta right the ship fast. 

Now, saying all this, I just want to add one more thing. I love this. This is great. Complaining about a 3 - 0 team that could fall to 3 - 1 next week. So much nicer than wondering if the bombers would still be in the game after the first quarter. Talking about which QB would start (and get pulled) first, etc. etc. etc. So much nicer to have a football team again :)

Very surprised no one has commented on Kuale's play last night... I thought he put in a terrible, half-assed effort - not the same guy we have seen in the first two games for sure...

Dunn continues to underwhelm me - he gets bailed out by Randle/Washington/Sear A LOT.  Too slow for the LB blitz...

He's not to slow, he's just not aggressive enough. He showed his wheels on the fumble recovery. I think Dunn's good but you're right about Kuale... Played crappy last night... Wonder if he's a little dinged up

Dunn is under rated, much like Greg Peach who gets crapped on for no reason by certain members of this forum, so does Dunn. All dunn does :S is his job game in game out. There is a reason he is on the team and that's cuz while not spectacular he gets the job done.

Kuale i agree with, he looked slow out there, sucked really bad. 

Bucknor i thought looked slow out there, bucknor was the guy constantly being bailed out by guys like demond and sears. 

Re Billy Peach, how long is greaves out? what happens to billy peach when greaves is back? what makes anyone think peach is actually an upgrade on howard? or goossen for that matter? Just curious why Billy Peach gets so much love, one would think if he was that awesome, someone would have scooped him off Calgarys PR by now. Like i dunno, Hamilton or BC even

I can honestly say i'm not too worried about edmonton, they have played arguably the 3 worst teams so far

Amazing how bad ottawa looks after teams have film on them, outside of the first quarter last week, ottawa has scored like what? 15 points? 

Have to make some decisions pretty quick - Edmonton's D is pretty good, not quite as insane as Noel Thorpe but still...

My concern is that Howard gets another chance - like CK and Boatman were DelMonaco's projects... looks like Howard might be our 2014 'project'... scary thought

January-Neufeld-Morely-Knapp-Jones gives us our best shot imo

Plus, we might as well have played Pontbriand all night instead of Grigsby for the offensive MB called

I thought Howard was terrible in the pre season and nothing I seen last night changed that opinion. 

I agree. I think that he was the guy who whiffed on the block in the Calgary pre-season game that allowed Hall to get killed while throwing the end zone INT.  He looks lost out there. Start a road pylon instead of him.  Not worth the import spot.

Regarding Howard, he did come to camp late, as he was pursuing NFL opportunities so he may just be getting in a groove with the rest of the OL...it takes time for an OL to gel and changing one guy can throw things off quite a bit. I'd give him another shot as I think he could be really good with some patience. If the coaching staff wants to switch things up though, they could give Jarvis Jones a try next week, but he's more of a tackle, where Howard has lots of experience at guard and tackle.

What bothers me a little is that coaching staffs always assume an import will perform better than a Canadian. I bet Goossen would have done no worse than Howard last night, and starting Goossen would have allowed us to put the best D on the field.

Regarding Howard, he did come to camp late, as he was pursuing NFL opportunities so he may just be getting in a groove with the rest of the OL...it takes time for an OL to gel and changing one guy can throw things off quite a bit. I'd give him another shot as I think he could be really good with some patience. If the coaching staff wants to switch things up though, they could give Jarvis Jones a try next week, but he's more of a tackle, where Howard has lots of experience at guard and tackle.

What bothers me a little is that coaching staffs always assume an import will perform better than a Canadian. I bet Goossen would have done no worse than Howard last night, and starting Goossen would have allowed us to put the best D on the field.

I don't think coaching staffs ALWAYS assume an import will perform better. I think they simply want to put in what they consider to be the best player considering the circumstances. That's Wylie's call! I also don't think that Etch thinks that way!

I do agree that playing Goossen right now might cause more harm than good to his development...

And you could say Cordarro Howard was pursuing NFL opportunities... or you could say he hasn't played a real game for three years...

Watching the game again this morning that Stafford TD was just painful.  Sherman looked like he was standing in cement.  There's no way Sherman can start next week.

Might have to look at 3 NI Receivers...  how do we work the ratio to get Sears back at WIL?