Running Tally - Collaros vs. Willy

BigBlue

I didn't see Collaros being hammered much, it seemed to me he was stepping up into a pocket and the Rider D-Linmen were reaching out and grabbing him as the pocket collapsed.  He should have been rolling out on play action to avoid that situation but they just kept doing it over and over again.  Dumb. 

I was curious why Austin didn't send in LeFevour or Masoli at some point.

That would be because Austin probably would have to admit he made a mistake signing collaros, would have loved to see it, imagine if lefevour or masoli went in and actually moved the ball? not saying signing collaros is a mistake but if you were austin and stubborn like he appears to be, would you want to pull your prized free agent in the first game and see the guys you decided to not go with as starter do better than he did? 

Actually, Duane Forde mentioned it too. He said they aren't because he (Collaros) needs to work with the offense more, the game is lost anyway so may as well get more reps in. As we talked about in the TC thread - TC is too short and Collaros (and Smith) need more reps. If it's game 4 or later, for sure they are pulled. 

Ya good point. I'd think Collaros gets at least a half season no matter how much he struggles.

If he has to endure the glares and screaming in his ear hole every game from Austin he may not even make it that long, he'll just quit.

Collaros won't quit but yeah, playing for Austin looks like so much fun. He screamed at Hank. He screamed at Collaros. He'd scream at Ricky Ray for cryin' out loud. 

That would be because Austin probably would have to admit he made a mistake signing collaros, would have loved to see it, imagine if lefevour or masoli went in and actually moved the ball? not saying signing collaros is a mistake but if you were austin and stubborn like he appears to be, would you want to pull your prized free agent in the first game and see the guys you decided to not go with as starter do better than he did? 

The worst kind of coach is not the one who makes mistakes he is the one who won't own up to them and learn..

Actually, Duane Forde mentioned it too. He said they aren't because he (Collaros) needs to work with the offense more, the game is lost anyway so may as well get more reps in. As we talked about in the TC thread - TC is too short and Collaros (and Smith) need more reps. If it's game 4 or later, for sure they are pulled. 

Yeah i heard him say that, I'm just not buying it, they had nothing to gain leaving him in, he  got sacked 10 times, could have been hurt easily, what is there to gain playing him in garbage time? yeah he moved the ball but that's when sask backed off considerably. I just don't see the point keeping him in to get him killed out there.. 10 sacks against, that's insane, If i was coach, i'd have pulled him and told him, it's not because of you, it's because i dont want you to be killed in week 1.

Inexperienced young qbs need playing time.That's why Willy was in very late in the game. To get the reps he needed. TC & exhibition is too short. CFL teams should do what some NFL teams do. Have a controlled scrimmage against other CFL team then 2 exhibition games. Players would get more reps.  Man, what a brutal weekend it was. 

As far as Collaros went, he was getting killed out there. I would have pulled him just to make sure he didn't get hurt. The way things were going, he was at risk of a severe injury. 

There were many times Collara could have dumped the ball quickly and avoided the pressure but he just stood there doing a jig.

Ken brought a team that was totally unprepared for a pro football game. Edmonton will hammer them as well.

Is there a joke I'm missing here or do you keep calling him Collara cuz you don't know his name is actually COLLAROS??

It's clearly far too early to anoint Willy as the saviour and label Collaros as a bust.... however I'm very happy with the way things went week one... I suspect this will be, one of, if not the worst game Collaros plays all year.... I'll need at least 6 games for an accurate assessment...

so far...so good

There were many times Collara could have dumped the ball quickly and avoided the pressure but he just stood there doing a jig.

Ken brought a team that was totally unprepared for a pro football game. Edmonton will hammer them as well.

Is there a joke I'm missing here or do you keep calling him Collara cuz you don't know his name is actually COLLAROS??

I don't really care what his name is.

Rarely do I joke. Back in middle school I was voted least likely to tell a joke. A funny one anyways.

Drew Willy - Its hard to argue with success ... 300+ passing yards each game ..... 45 & 36 points on the board .... wonderful long bombs

..... points for improvement IMHO:

longer passes seemed pinpoint near perfect but shorter throws and flat passes seemed less accurate .... go figure

this may have been because he was hurried or perhaps just felt rushed ... seems to me he needed to plant his feet more firmly on these shorter passes and take a quarter second longer to use his full range of motion .... I don't think he was being lazy or over confident about them

thoughts?

Kent Austin made a BIG Mistake Letting Burris go without having developed Collaros into the system.  The bombers did the same with Kevin Glenn a few years ago and that started the QB carousal in Winnipeg which we have only found one now.  I think that might be the same in Steel town.  Look at Kevin Glenn now the number 1 in BC and looking good.  Burris is still one of the best in the league still as shown in the game yesterday.   

I have no idea why Austin didn't like Hank. He got Kent & his team to the Grey Cup when the Argos were the better team. Burris did everything he was asked to do as a Ti Cat. You could tell all last season Austin didn't think much of him as a qb. Now, he's got a shell shocked inexperienced qb playing for him & it looks like he doesn't like him, either. Austin looks to be one of these hard ass coaches to play for. Good luck.

I have no idea why Austin didn't like Hank. He got Kent & his team to the Grey Cup when the Argos were the better team. Burris did everything he was asked to do as a Ti Cat. You could tell all last season Austin didn't think much of him as a qb. Now, he's got a shell shocked inexperienced qb playing for him & it looks like he doesn't like him, either. Austin looks to be one of these hard ass coaches to play for. Good luck.

Hufnagel got tired of Burris in Calgary too, difference is that Huffer made sure he got a starting quality qb back in return for Burris rather than hanging it all on a newbie. You're in Calgary, you know that Burris is the ultimate fair weather qb., He's all smiles when things are going well but when it's not then the excuses and finger pointing come out. 

Hank is the kind of player who  can drive a fan crazy at times, yes. But  the guy is a team player & he did a great job with the system he was in & the players he had around him. Austin just strikes me as a coach who thinks he could do better if he  could still play. Those kind of coaches are difficult to play for because they're always unhappy & the qbs they have are never good enough.. 

He's a team player when it's going well. When it doesn't though it's never his fault. He's not a winner plain and simple. It's clear by this point that his one Grey Cup win was a fluke. He's had enough years on good teams in Calgary to show that when the chips are down you're as far ahead with Kevin Glenn as you are with Henry Burris.

He's a team player when it's going well. When it doesn't though it's never his fault. He's not a winner plain and simple. It's clear by this point that his one Grey Cup win was a fluke. He's had enough years on good teams in Calgary to show that when the chips are down you're as far ahead with Kevin Glenn as you are with Henry Burris.

I agree and this was quite evident last night, swear to god, maybe it was just me but after every incompletion Burris would get up and throw his hands in the air, looks to always blame others instead of himself, every damn missed pass he had, it was the same damn reaction every damn time. Receivers fault, or on the time count violations he took, looked like he was blaming the sidelines. I don't see the leadership there. I see a guy who is all about himself, all about the stats, all about me myself and I. Its interesting watching Willy out there and listening to him after the game taking responsibility for some of the poor throws, his hand was a valid excuse but didn't really use it as one. That's a leader, not a guy like henry who just pouts and whines constantly on the field. It's everyones fault but his. Him and Glenn are similar that way, always looking to blame someone else, even if it was a bad throw or good coverage, just always looking for a call or whining about something to the refs.