The TV Thread

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

You should be thankful you don't read the game of thrones books.  Waiting a few months for the next season is nothing compared to 5-6 years between books 

After reading the LOTR trilogy prior to the movies I swore off books forever. Mainly cuz I get a little frustrated when a show or movie differ to what I read subtlhy or blatantly. Its kinda why I get frustrated with marvel and DC sometimes, I dont care to forget what I know and reimagine thru a directors vision. The only time I might consider a book now Is If that was the only means to a deeper story, like a prequel or a story beyond. Such as the story of Sauron

Books almost always are deeper than the show or movie though.  GOT for example has cut out a number of characters and storylines.  it's not always because of a directors vision either.  Including everything from a book doesn't work when you have to deal with time or financial constraints.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whenever I hear someone say they've never seen the Sopranos it makes me very envious.  I WISH I could go back to a time before I had ever seen the Sopranos so I could watch it right now in its entirety for the first time.  It's the greatest TV show of all time, even when it was maddening at times.  I've watched the entire series many times (first run, repeats and then the gf bought me the entire series on DVD and we've watched it at least three times since).  Its THAT good.

I thought the Sopranos was over-rated myself. Certainly did not like them taking more then a year off at times.

15 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

After reading the LOTR trilogy prior to the movies I swore off books forever. Mainly cuz I get a little frustrated when a show or movie differ to what I read subtlhy or blatantly. Its kinda why I get frustrated with marvel and DC sometimes, I dont care to forget what I know and reimagine thru a directors vision. The only time I might consider a book now Is If that was the only means to a deeper story, like a prequel or a story beyond. Such as the story of Sauron

If you do enjoy Game of Thrones I would say do yourself a favour and read the books. They're very different at this point in the series and just on a completely different level. I always feel like people who only watch the show are short changing themselves. They've ****** up so much of the show I don't believe I'll even watch the new seasons until the books are finished. (Hurry up fat man, write the ******* things, you've had more than enough time)

11 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought the Sopranos was over-rated myself. Certainly did not like them taking more then a year off at times.

The long layoff sucked for sure.  David Chase was a bit odd.  I guess it added to his brilliance in more ways than it hurt.  But I remember him seeming really offended that Tony became an anti-hero.  So he went out of his way to set things up that the fans wanted and then didnt deliver.

At the end of the run, things sort of fell apart.  I remember they actually added two extra episodes after filming began because Chase realised he couldnt finish the story in time.  And yet, they had a couple of episodes that really didnt matter in the big picture and they terribly rushed the final story concerning New York.  So it makes you wonder how it wasnt mapped out properly.

Chase felt that the characters were all irredeemable and was upset that fans "loved" them so his intent was to make the fans feel bad about loving the characters and to show that there was nothing redeemable about them or nothing good would come of them.  So it was sort of a negative in that way. 

I would have ended it a bit differently.  There is one character I would have had "rise to the occasion" and end up as Boss at the end...

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If you do enjoy Game of Thrones I would say do yourself a favour and read the books. They're very different at this point in the series and just on a completely different level. I always feel like people who only watch the show are short changing themselves. They've ****** up so much of the show I don't believe I'll even watch the new seasons until the books are finished. (Hurry up fat man, write the ******* things, you've had more than enough time)

That's kind of my point,  I know the books are deeper and better all around, but in not having read the GoT books, I can enjoy the show for what it is and not feel like its all ****** up.  I think if anything I might do it the opposite, watch the show, then read the books then its all on the up and up. Plus i like reading a book where I have a good idea of the who what where in my head as I'm reading it. Books that ive read that have been turned to movie or TV shows never look even remotely close to what I pictured reading, well except for maybe the hobbit and LOTR fellowship and two towers cuz i'd seen those campy 70's cartoons long before I read the books

23 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not really a spoiler but what of the shrink? Kinda wrote her off without writing her off.

I thought it made little sense when watching it initially.  But when watching it all together, it made more sense.  She had routinely provided advice that helped Tony be a better gangster.  Especially in latter seasons, they had her counsel him and he directly used that advice.  I think her realization came a bit too quickly but as it came from HER counselor it was interesting.  Because for the entire series he had been trying to make her see the light.  She finally did.  The one thing I didnt like was that as soon as she booted him, he didnt seem to really suffer, whereas in earlier seasons when he stopped seeing her, he did.  There wasnt much time left to show how not having her affected him so maybe that's why.  I somewhat expected him to seek her out (or vice versa) when he suffered some "loss" close to him...I thought it might have been a nice thing if she met him at a diner or something, like "unofficially" counseling him.

But I think she was meant to be a counter to Tony's wife.  Whereby one pretended not to know what Tony was and happily reaped the benefits, the other knew what he was and lied to herself but in the end, couldnt hide the truth from her own conscience. 

On 3/9/2016 at 5:59 PM, Logan007 said:

The Ranch looks awful. 

Not sure if I have high hopes for Lethal Weapon either. 

I was on the fence about LW.  I loved the movies (the 1st two at least) but wasn't sure about a TV show.

Now that I see Damon Wayans has been cast in Danny Glover's role, I have zero hope this will be good.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought it made little sense when watching it initially.  But when watching it all together, it made more sense.  She had routinely provided advice that helped Tony be a better gangster.  Especially in latter seasons, they had her counsel him and he directly used that advice.  I think her realization came a bit too quickly but as it came from HER counselor it was interesting.  Because for the entire series he had been trying to make her see the light.  She finally did.  The one thing I didnt like was that as soon as she booted him, he didnt seem to really suffer, whereas in earlier seasons when he stopped seeing her, he did.  There wasnt much time left to show how not having her affected him so maybe that's why.  I somewhat expected him to seek her out (or vice versa) when he suffered some "loss" close to him...I thought it might have been a nice thing if she met him at a diner or something, like "unofficially" counseling him.

But I think she was meant to be a counter to Tony's wife.  Whereby one pretended not to know what Tony was and happily reaped the benefits, the other knew what he was and lied to herself but in the end, couldnt hide the truth from her own conscience. 

the only issue I had with that, is if im not mistaken, talking about your business (directly or indirectly) outside the mob was pretty much a death sentence.  and some people, again if I'm not mistaken, maybe pauly? silvio? found out about Tony and his sessions? it's been a long time since Ive seen the show tho so i could be wrong

28 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the only issue I had with that, is if im not mistaken, talking about your business (directly or indirectly) outside the mob was pretty much a death sentence.  and some people, again if I'm not mistaken, maybe pauly? silvio? found out about Tony and his sessions? it's been a long time since Ive seen the show tho so i could be wrong

Tony was afraid of them finding out. But when Junior found out Tony told his crew and they all basically shugged IT off. I think it was Paulie who even admitted he sometimes talked to someone. Tony made it clear he didn't discuss details and it showed their trust in him. And as said above it showed their hypocrisy. There were rules but only when they wanted them 

For Daredevil Season 2, we anticipate the series will be available the new season will be released at 12:01 a.m. PT on March 18.

While that is obviously subject to change, we have been following Netflix for years, and during that time, Netflix has kept the same pattern of release for almost all of its shows and movies and their Netflix originals. In nearly every circumstance, Netflix releases their original shows just after 12:01 a.m. PT on the day the series is scheduled to be released.

few more hours weeee

I didnt watch much of season 3, but aptly placed news for this thread

12521892_548440281984507_886640280_n.jpg

Orange Is the New Black: Netflix Releases New Photos From Show's Upcoming 4th Season
Taylor Schilling's Piper, Laura Prepon's Alex, Kate Mulgrew's Red and Selenis Leyva's Gloria are among the cast featured in the new photos. "Orange is the New Black" is set to return June 17

6 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Man, I wish I was at home so I could watch Daredevil.  Except my wife watches it with me, so...I wish we were both at home.  :D

Story of my life... my wife watches way too many of the same shows I do so we're constantly waiting for each other to be around to watch stuff.

it was fine on one channel last night when i started up episode 5, had the rest of them.

Spoiler

They made reference to Jessica Jones so far, and I saw on FB they tease Luke Cage which is a soon to be start up marvel show somewhere in this season.  While I sort of like the novelty DC has done with intertwining the flash and green arrow and Legends of tomorrow, I kinda hope they leave DD as is. theres enough ppl in the DD world to keep it entertaining without pulling in other unnecessary characters