The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Kind of all over Alberta.... some of it was shot down here, south of Red Deer. They shut down part of our "Uptowne" area for a couple weeks. Andrew Garfield's "Under The Banner Of Heaven" also shot here, along with some of the Paul Rudd "Ghostbusters" movie from a few years back. AB gets a lot of movie/TV work, due to sizeable tax breaks...

Saw this comment on Reddit.

My buddy said there was an industry screening of The Last of Us last week at the Jube, and Danielle Smith was scheduled to do a speech before the screening. Apparently she got mercilessly booed by all 2,500 people in there, and barely looked up from her notes on the podium to address the audience.

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Saw this comment on Reddit.

My buddy said there was an industry screening of The Last of Us last week at the Jube, and Danielle Smith was scheduled to do a speech before the screening. Apparently she got mercilessly booed by all 2,500 people in there, and barely looked up from her notes on the podium to address the audience.

Love it. Really hoping she and the UCP get torched in May....

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Kind of all over Alberta.... some of it was shot down here, south of Red Deer. They shut down part of our "Uptowne" area for a couple weeks. Andrew Garfield's "Under The Banner Of Heaven" also shot here, along with some of the Paul Rudd "Ghostbusters" movie from a few years back. AB gets a lot of movie/TV work, due to sizeable tax breaks...

Tax breaks and infrastructure. Manitoba's film tax credits are very similar but production companies need a few things, including a highly trained and talented workforce. Soundstages and equipment need to be readily available. 

All of that takes time to build and the MB film industry has been slowly growing and embedding themselves. We have suppliers, we have highly trained individuals and we are slowly growing. We've trained the workforce and we're keeping them in the industry by giving them enough work. 

Saskatchewan killed their tax credit around ~10 years ago and industry left. They back tracked on it but the damage was done. For everything to build, you need consistency and predictability. 

Quebec, BC and Ontario have been ahead of the game for a long. Alberta learned too and are way ahead of the remaining provinces. 

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Tax breaks and infrastructure. Manitoba's film tax credits are very similar but production companies need a few things, including a highly trained and talented workforce. Soundstages and equipment need to be readily available. 

All of that takes time to build and the MB film industry has been slowly growing and embedding themselves. We have suppliers, we have highly trained individuals and we are slowly growing. We've trained the workforce and we're keeping them in the industry by giving them enough work. 

Saskatchewan killed their tax credit around ~10 years ago and industry left. They back tracked on it but the damage was done. For everything to build, you need consistency and predictability. 

Quebec, BC and Ontario have been ahead of the game for a long. Alberta learned too and are way ahead of the remaining provinces. 

Took forever to get direct L.A. flights to and from Winnipeg.  That was definitely a hinderance to expansion.

40 minutes ago, JCon said:

All of that takes time to build and the MB film industry has been slowly growing and embedding themselves. 

I assume this a rarity, but I have a moral problem with some of what goes on. A couple months ago, we were informed that a local soup kitchen wouldn't be needing our weekly contribution - because some scenes were being shot in the building.

Just now, Mark H. said:

I assume this a rarity, but I have a moral problem with some of what goes on. A couple months ago, we were informed that local soup kitchen wouldn't be needing our weekly contribution - because some scenes were being shot in the building.

That's not good. I wonder why? Did they close the soup kitchen or just decline your contribution? That would be up to the owners of the building. 

14 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Took forever to get direct L.A. flights to and from Winnipeg.  That was definitely a hinderance to expansion.

Meh. Honestly, most of the people coming here are not coming from LA. I know that Gov't bent over backwards and put up a lot of money to buy that route and played it up.  But when I was at the table, the biggest concerns were ensuring the stability of the tax credit and attracting investors and movie suppliers, like William H. White. More sound stages were the next thing on the industries wishlist. 

Maybe we've reached a threshold where we really need that direct route but that's a measure of success. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's not good. I wonder why? Did they close the soup kitchen or just decline your contribution? That would be up to the owners of the building. 

The soup kitchen was closed for that period of time.

They normally stop by our colony to pick it up - one of the volunteers lives locally

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Haven't noticed anyone talking about The Last of Us.  

It's really, really good.  I never played the game, but those who have are quite pleased with how similar it looks (shot for shot, sometimes).

Not a big surprise since it's the same director as Chernobyl, which was astonishingly detailed.

Pedro Pascal does rule.

We started it but haven’t gotten very far, got distracted by the lighter “That ‘90’s Show” which was fun mindless humour.

On 2023-01-25 at 1:09 PM, Wideleft said:

Haven't noticed anyone talking about The Last of Us.  

It's really, really good.  I never played the game, but those who have are quite pleased with how similar it looks (shot for shot, sometimes).

Not a big surprise since it's the same director as Chernobyl, which was astonishingly detailed.

Pedro Pascal does rule.

Having played both games recently, I can confirm that it's been pretty bang on to the source material so far.  Some minor changes but that's inevitable so no complaints from me.  I was skeptical of Bella Ramsey playing Ellie but so far so good.  They told both leads not to watch any of the game stuff, so they can make the characters their own. Both admit to checking some stuff out so I'm sure that is one reason why it's been so similar to the game (at least from a character standpoint).

19 hours ago, GCJenks said:

We started it but haven’t gotten very far, got distracted by the lighter “That ‘90’s Show” which was fun mindless humour.

There's only two episodes of LOU out so there's not much to get into yet.  We watched the 1st episode of the 90's show... really wanted to like it but I don't know if we'll be going back for episode 2.  Didn't find it funny aside from Red & Kitty.

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Having played both games recently, I can confirm that it's been pretty bang on to the source material so far.  Some minor changes but that's inevitable so no complaints from me.  I was skeptical of Bella Ramsey playing Ellie but so far so good.  They told both leads not to watch any of the game stuff, so they can make the characters their own. Both admit to checking some stuff out so I'm sure that is one reason why it's been so similar to the game (at least from a character standpoint).

There's only two episodes of LOU out so there's not much to get into yet.  We watched the 1st episode of the 90's show... really wanted to like it but I don't know if we'll be going back for episode 2.  Didn't find it funny aside from Red & Kitty.

The 90’s show gets better. Leah starts to shine once away from her parents and there are a few very funny moments reminiscent of the original. 

what took them so long...and more importantly are they going to recast or kill off Luanne

https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/king-of-the-hill-revival-hulu-cast-returning-recast/

https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/dexter-new-blood-season-2-cancelled-showtime/

There's going to be a different series that focuses on his early years

Edited by iHeart