The TV Thread

On 2023-01-13 at 4:49 PM, Noeller said:

^^ That looks incredible. I've somehow never seen the first one, though I've always wanted to. Need to get on that. Brooks is a genius whose days are numbered.... so glad they got to this while he's still around.

The first one is absolutely awful,  the preview on this new one however looks really good.    

I'm saddened that Brooks never made a 2nd SpaceBalls,  I'm guessing without Candy it would of been a hard movie to do. 

so a couple newer things I've watched lately, that I was going to report back on........

1) 3 Pines (Amazon Original) starring Alfred Molina as an inexplicably French-Canadian provincial police homicide inspector. This show is basically Alfred Molina (who is awesome in anything) and a bunch of people who I think their previous experience was Canadian Tire and Tim Horton's commercials. It's about a half step from being a Hallmark-type show. Basically, there's 8 episodes covering 4 different murders (each "case" is 2 hour long episodes) and they all take place in rural Quebec. I've watched 6 of the 8 episodes and it's interesting, but not particularly well done in any aspect, aside from Molina, who's clearly the only quality actor in the show. 

2) The new Night Court starring Melissa Rauch as the late Harry Anderson's daughter and John Laroquette reprising his Dan Fielding character. I remember enjoying the original back in its day, and I had high hopes for this. I can't even begin to tell you how painful it was to get through the pilot. It was SOOOOO bad. The laugh track was painful, the writing was painful..... I just can't imagine that this gets picked up beyond its initial run. 

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

so a couple newer things I've watched lately, that I was going to report back on........

1) 3 Pines (Amazon Original) starring Alfred Molina as an inexplicably French-Canadian provincial police homicide inspector. This show is basically Alfred Molina (who is awesome in anything) and a bunch of people who I think their previous experience was Canadian Tire and Tim Horton's commercials. It's about a half step from being a Hallmark-type show. Basically, there's 8 episodes covering 4 different murders (each "case" is 2 hour long episodes) and they all take place in rural Quebec. I've watched 6 of the 8 episodes and it's interesting, but not particularly well done in any aspect, aside from Molina, who's clearly the only quality actor in the show. 

The author of the Three Pines book(s) is former Winnipegger Louise Penny- former CBC afternoon radio host. An excellent series but I kept waiting for Molina to show his extra mechanical arms.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The author of the Three Pines book(s) is former Winnipegger Louise Penny- former CBC afternoon radio host. An excellent series but I kept waiting for Molina to show his extra mechanical arms.

my wife's first comment "it's Doc Oc!!"

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

2) The new Night Court starring Melissa Rauch as the late Harry Anderson's daughter and John Laroquette reprising his Dan Fielding character. I remember enjoying the original back in its day, and I had high hopes for this. I can't even begin to tell you how painful it was to get through the pilot. It was SOOOOO bad. The laugh track was painful, the writing was painful..... I just can't imagine that this gets picked up beyond its initial run. 

The Night Court episodes were totally hokey, but it was pretty much the same humour (and laugh track) as the original. So either modern humour tastes have changed or the original was massively overrated (I vote the latter, it was carried by the Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers juggernaut). But turning Larroquette’s character from a sleazy prosecutor to a bleeding heart public defender could be the change that sinks the show. 

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The Night Court episodes were totally hokey, but it was pretty much the same humour (and laugh track) as the original. So either modern humour tastes have changed or the original was massively overrated (I vote the latter, it was carried by the Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers juggernaut). But turning Larroquette’s character from a sleazy prosecutor to a bleeding heart public defender could be the change that sinks the show. 

When Night Court debuted, Larroquette was drinking heavily and difficult to manage on set, so the character he portrayed wasn't all that different from who he was. During the run of the series, he was confronted by the producers and told to get sober or get out. So he sobered up and his character evolved as well. His. next series had him as a newly sober, fired university prof running the night shift at a bus depot with all the challenges of the newly sober.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

The new Night Court starring Melissa Rauch as the late Harry Anderson's daughter and John Laroquette reprising his Dan Fielding character. I remember enjoying the original back in its day, and I had high hopes for this. I can't even begin to tell you how painful it was to get through the pilot. It was SOOOOO bad. The laugh track was painful, the writing was painful..... I just can't imagine that this gets picked up beyond its initial run. 

I watched it & I didn't think it was that bad. Time will tell. 

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

Also watching Three Pines.  It's good enough, agree it leaves me wanting for more.   Would love to visit that part of Quebec one day - so scenic.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Also watching Three Pines.  It's good enough, agree it leaves me wanting for more.   Would love to visit that part of Quebec one day - so scenic.

I just feel like Molina is the only good thing about it. The rest of the actors are sub-par and the writing isn't exactly top of the line. But yes, rural Quebec looks gorgeous...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I just feel like Molina is the only good thing about it. The rest of the actors are sub-par and the writing isn't exactly top of the line. But yes, rural Quebec looks gorgeous...

Tantoo Cardinal is a solid actress and it's frustrating to see her look so amateurish here.

That being said, there are oodles of tax credits to offset production costs in Canada if your cast and crew are Canadian.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Tantoo Cardinal is a solid actress and it's frustrating to see her look so amateurish here.

That being said, there are oodles of tax credits to offset production costs in Canada if your cast and crew are Canadian.

100% to all of this. I used to watch this Cobie Smulders show "Stumptown" that Tantoo Cardinal was on and she was great...I know she can act.....but in this, it's almost embarrassing. And yes, every one of the actors being Canadian....not to **** on Canadian arts too much, but.........I swear all the other actors have only ever been in Tim Horton's commercials or Hallmark/W Network movies...

Haven't noticed anyone talking about The Last of Us.  

It's really, really good.  I never played the game, but those who have are quite pleased with how similar it looks (shot for shot, sometimes).

Not a big surprise since it's the same director as Chernobyl, which was astonishingly detailed.

Pedro Pascal does rule.

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Haven't noticed anyone talking about The Last of Us.  

It's really, really good.  I never played the game, but those who have are quite pleased with how similar it looks (shot for shot, sometimes).

Not a big surprise since it's the same director as Chernobyl, which was astonishingly detailed.

Pedro Pascal does rule.

Apparently it was filmed in Edmonton.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently it was filmed in Edmonton.

Kind of all over Alberta.... some of it was shot down here, south of Red Deer. They shut down part of our "Uptowne" area for a couple weeks. Andrew Garfield's "Under The Banner Of Heaven" also shot here, along with some of the Paul Rudd "Ghostbusters" movie from a few years back. AB gets a lot of movie/TV work, due to sizeable tax breaks...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Kind of all over Alberta.... some of it was shot down here, south of Red Deer. They shut down part of our "Uptowne" area for a couple weeks. Andrew Garfield's "Under The Banner Of Heaven" also shot here, along with some of the Paul Rudd "Ghostbusters" movie from a few years back. AB gets a lot of movie/TV work, due to sizeable tax breaks...

And the first 3 seasons of Fargo...   Under the Banner of Heaven was also very good.