DE Ronnell Lewis

Mike

Why more import D ends? This team needs non imports !

Even though I don't always agree with you, I usually can at least admit that you seem to know what you're talking about. Comments like this though ... where do you expect them to find ANY non-imports right now on the open market? Any valuable non-import will likely come from either a) a trade or B) once other teams start trimming rosters to free up space and/or money.

Should they just stop scouting imports until some non-imports come available so that they can appease fans by balancing the signings?

Why more import D ends? This team needs non imports !

Where do you get non-imports ?

Ottawa - face it boys, I've whined about this before too, many times. When expanding, the CFL also needs to 'expand' the imports. By not changing the ratio you really water down the league as there just aren't enough Canadians of good quality to fill all the jobs. 

I'd argue there isn't enough for 8 teams - just look at how pathetic we were with our Canuck talent last year. You think it's bad now - wait till the 10th team arrives. 

I guess FA might have been a good option in Feb. but hindsight is........

That would be being proactive and not reactive.

Yea but the pool of talent at DE for canadians is shallow... Arguably the most shallow position in the CFL in my opinion..

As for a legit game day starter? How many are there in the league, 2-3? Its a rarity in this day and age.. Kinda like canadian MLBs but worse..

I guess FA might have been a good option in Feb. but hindsight is........

That would be being proactive and not reactive.

We were players during FA. Whether we like it or not, we are not a desirable destination right now. Some players just doesn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team.

If we can be highly competitive this year and figures into the playoff that perception will change comes next Feb.

Not just DEs....any FA legitimate starters. They missed the boat on Laurent. This isn't the NFL where you go out and find a guy that fits the system. Systems need to adapt to the best available players. That is the true element of success when dealing with the ratio....quality guys plug them in to a position and then depth.

My thoughts exactly - we pencil in Lucas/Thomas as our starting NIs and don't even make an offer to possibly the best NI DT in the CFL? Bombers have had a starting Canadian DT in mind for a few years now, yet never pursue anyone in free agency... its bizarre.

Laurent is a true 3-tech guy, they don't come along everyday and we sat on our hands because Etch 'doesn't protect against the run'... 

My concern is that we're bringing in Etcheverry-type players and Etch won't be here next season...

My thoughts exactly - we pencil in Lucas/Thomas as our starting NIs and don't even make an offer to possibly the best NI DT in the CFL? Bombers have had a starting Canadian DT in mind for a few years now, yet never pursue anyone in free agency... its bizarre.

Laurent is a true 3-tech guy, they don't come along everyday and we sat on our hands because Etch 'doesn't protect against the run'... 

My concern is that we're bringing in Etcheverry-type players and Etch won't be here next season...

Don't know if he'll be gone before next year but I predict Laurent is in Hamilton longer than Etch is in Winnipeg.

Lewis seems like a beast. 

We're going to have to wait till the end of training camp to see any non-imports pop loose.  Excuse for not pursuing Laurent is ludicrous,  I could care less if he can't sprint the length of the field.  The guy has talent work with it, not a problem.

So, you guys wanted us to pursue someone who

…..didn't re-sign with his original club after no NFL offers, and

…..it was reported he wanted to go 'home' to the east, most thought Montreal, turns out he wanted Austin and the Ti-Cats, and

…..to throw huge sums of money at him to try and convince him to come here, meanwhile knowing full well that he wouldn't fit in the system we are running. 

Have I got that right?

We're going to have to wait till the end of training camp to see any non-imports pop loose.  Excuse for not pursuing Laurent is ludicrous,  I could care less if he can't sprint the length of the field.  The guy has talent work with it, not a problem.

…..it was reported he wanted to go 'home' to the east, most thought Montreal, turns out he wanted Austin and the Ti-Cats, and

…..to throw huge sums of money at him to try and convince him to come here, meanwhile knowing full well that he wouldn't fit in the system we are running. 

Have I got that right?

Ah, the old justifications...  at least, they are rarer now that Mack is gone.

Sounds like Jones did not pursue him... and it was reported that he might want to go home, Laurent never said that.

And yes, I did want to throw big money at him - unless you can think of another option besides Lucas/Thomas...?

Have I got that right?

Don't care what the excuses for not trying to acquire him are, they're still excuses.  Tantamount to Tim Burke choosing to kneel with time remaining on the clock to alleviate the fear of losing! 

Walters has done a good job of assembling new talent this year but there is no doubt in my mind he has been "schooled" by veteran GM's on numerous occasions.  Hope he learns his lessons well and up's his game.

Have I got that right?

Don't care what the excuses for not trying to acquire him are, they're still excuses.  Tantamount to Tim Burke choosing to kneel with time remaining on the clock to alleviate the fear of losing! 

Walters has done a good job of assembling new talent this year but there is no doubt in my mind he has been "schooled" by veteran GM's on numerous occasions.  Hope he learns his lessons well and learns to up his game.

A team, as bereft of Canadian talent as we are, doesn't turn that lack of depth around in one season .. you certainly don't do it at the expense of mortgaging your future .. we were active in free agency .. active in the draft .. and, if it wasn't for a spate of preseason injuries, people wouldn't be taking such a "sky is falling" view of things ..

Perspective .. it does wonders ...

Have I got that right?

Walters has done a good job of assembling new talent this year but there is no doubt in my mind he has been "schooled" by veteran GM's on numerous occasions.  Hope he learns his lessons well and learns to up his game.

"We don't want him".

"STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR NOT GETTING HIM!!!"

"But we don't want him."

"YOU'VE JUST BEEN SCHOOOOOOOOOOLED!!!"