Bob Wylie & OL coaching staff

Thought this deserved its own thread:

@PentonKirk: Bob Wylie is not at camp because he's away at a coaching clinic. He'll be gone a few days at a time throughout the season. #Bombers

@PentonKirk: Paul Charbonneau, a Wylie protege, is the #Bombers assistant offensive line coach and will run things when Wylie is away.

Christ you're on top of things.

I was just about to post this and you beat me to it lol

I didn't know Charbonneau was on our staff, but I like it a lot. He's been a guest coach for us before (when Wylie was our OL coach last time) and I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he used to coach for the St. James Rods program before he went to the NCAA.

I worry about Bob Wylie's health. He's carrying a lot of weight. There's a picture of him at rookie camp. I'd hate to see him get sick or have a heart attack/stroke. I've been there. I used to weigh 310 lbs 3 years ago. I decided I needed to get healthy or I'd be pushing up daisies sooner rather than later. I'm at 225 now. I am working hard to get down to my weight I used to be of 205 lbs. I truly am concerned for Wylie. The coaching lifestyle in pro football is just so conducive to weight gain with their crazy long hours, stress & eating junk food as the guys are too busy to go home for home cooked meals. Or they live in hotels. Or don't think that they have time to exercise.

I used to work at McMahon Stadium in the late 90's. Some of the Stamps coaches like George Cortez during the season would get to their offices at 4:30 in the morning nearly everyday & I'd see him on the treadmill a few minutes after. A couple other coaches would be in the weight room after 5 am. I guess that was the only time they could exercise & lift. But at least they were doing it. Wally used to roll in around 6:30, quarter to 7. Being an assistant coach  is a hard life & it's easy to forget about your health as a person.

I don't like the idea of Wylie being away, especially during during training camp when they are installing the systems and evaluating the players.  I don't like O'Shea's quote either.  I thought he wanted folks who are fully committed to making the Bombers better.  Being away during camp and again during the season isn't being fully committed IMHO.

I figured as much when it took Wylie and the Bombers so long to reach a contract agreement.  Wylie set the terms and the Bombers agreed to compromise their position in order to associate with his golden touch and reputation. 

As for his health, at his age and weight he is a ticking time bomb.  Do the Bomber's really need another Richard Harris incident mid season to inspire them?

I don't see the problem here.

Tag Bob Wylie as the man you want. Go after him, agree to terms, sign him with the knowledge he will be away sometimes.

Meanwhile, a mentor is here to run the practices, Wylie will be here to review and revise.

They seem to be all over this idea, so we'll see how it works out.

It is strange to see a pro coach put a recruiting company for American HS players ahead of his full time employers. I mean, pretty easy for him to tell FU that  due to his new position in Winnipeg he is no longer available & let them find a replacement as that kind of thing happens all the time with coaches. But it is what it is, I guess. 

Wylie booked for coaching clinics through Football University every weekend this month. Not sure if he will show to all of them, but he was advertised for the one this weekend and he went so ... take from that what you will.

So he'll likely be with the Bombers Monday-Thursdays. Then coaching clinics on weekends. I can live with that. I wonder if he's allowed to miss games if his clinic causes a conflict?

While no overly excited about the fact that the Bombers are not getting Wylie's full attention, I'm sure the situation has been worked out for the Bombers. Realistically having someone of Wylie's caliber is a huge boost for the team.

It is strange to see a pro coach put a recruiting company for American HS players ahead of his full time employers. I mean, pretty easy for him to tell FU that  due to his new position in Winnipeg he is no longer available & let them find a replacement as that kind of thing happens all the time with coaches. But it is what it is, I guess. 

It wouldn't surprise me much if he was making a lot more money from the coaching clinics than he's receiving from the Bombers.

From a continuity perspective, its nice having Charbonneau here. If/when Wylie leaves/retires, we may have the option to keep him around; would be nice having someone who has learned from the best. And Wylie does not appear to be a model of health so having Charbonneau is nice in-season "insurance", should Wylie experience any health issues.

I'd be more concerned if O'Shea wasn't aware of this from the start.  I wouldn't want Wylie to start bailing.  That they both agreed to this is fine with me.  They can plan for it.  Now it makes sense why we have him as a "not-OL-coach" and an OL coach.

Again, why do the Bombers withhold this information so that the fans have to figure it out on their own months later.  It speaks of a "we know best" attitude prevalent in football circles and epitomized by Mike Kelly. 

Oh the bombers were and are very much aware... very much so

direct line taken from wylies bio on the offical site

Veteran offensive line guru Bob Wylie joins the Bombers for his first season and second stint with the club for the 2014 season, overseeing the development of the offensive line. 

Wylie oversees the development and while he is away, his protege charboneau runs things.

Win Win situation really.

Oh the bombers were and are very much aware... very much so

direct line taken from wylies bio on the offical site

Veteran offensive line guru Bob Wylie joins the Bombers for his first season and second stint with the club for the 2014 season, overseeing the development of the offensive line. 

Wylie oversees the development and while he is away, his protege charboneau runs things.

Win Win situation really.

Except....Who the hell is Charbonneau?  Is that like hiring Jack Nicklaus's caddy for golf lessons?

Well, you know how Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape used to make white wine?

Well, it's nothing like that.

Monsieur Charbonneau is, as mentioned, an understudy of Wylie's who has worked a couple of times with him in the past with Sask. and Wpg.

Really, who better to have assist Wylie than him?

I think you accept the terms of the deal cuz finding a decent OL coach was proving nigh on impossible for the Bombers.

Too bad they had to wait til Big Bob was absent from work (training camp) to release the terms of the contract they signed with him.

Not very transparent by an organization that vowed more transparency. But to be expected nonetheless!

I think you accept the terms of the deal cuz finding a decent OL coach was proving nigh on impossible for the Bombers.

Too bad they had to wait til Big Bob was absent from work (training camp) to release the terms of the contract they signed with him.

Not very transparent by an organization that vowed more transparency. But to be expected nonetheless!

Nice to see the spin machine is still working.

This couldn't be less of a deal.

ucm206324.gif……Here's that Blue transparency you wanted.