Best guess at the 44 man roster projection

Mike

Interesting decisions ... I don't see how much of it makes sense though.

-- 4 non imports on the offensive line and you still want to gamble with a rookie safety that we drafted as a linebacker? Even if you did want a non-import safety, why not Newman?

-- Hard to believe we wouldn't start Kohlert.

-- You're missing a designated import.

Just a prediction, but I really think Kenny Tate is a rookie that cracks our starting lineup this year. He's exactly the type of player Etch likes.

where do you think he will be slotted ?  as DE or LB ?

DE

Anyone else concerned that Goossen has not actually played Canadian football for, um, ever?  I think he's a nice talent but I just don't see how he will emerge as our starting centre after TC...  in fact, I'm a bit worried we'll ruin him if he does.

As a centre his technique is pretty much going to be the same.  He might have to work on adjusting his footwork, but it's nothing that Wylie wouldn't be able to help him with.  

It might be more different if he was going to be playing tackle. 

Anyone else concerned that Goossen has not actually played Canadian football for, um, ever?  I think he's a nice talent but I just don't see how he will emerge as our starting centre after TC...  in fact, I'm a bit worried we'll ruin him if he does.

Lucky for him CFL coaches are all experienced in teaching players who've never played by CFL rules how to do it. Is it any different than an american coming in and having to learn?

Anyone else concerned that Goossen has not actually played Canadian football for, um, ever? I think he's a nice talent but I just don't see how he will emerge as our starting centre after TC... in fact, I'm a bit worried we'll ruin him if he does.

Lucky for him CFL coaches are all experienced in teaching players who've never played by CFL rules how to do it. Is it any different than an american coming in and having to learn?

Might be more of a challenge for a centre because they have to recognize the defensive scheme then call the protection based on that. With the extra man on defense that might take him a little longer to be ready mentally, compared to a US guard or tackle coming to the CFL.

Anyone else concerned that Goossen has not actually played Canadian football for, um, ever? I think he's a nice talent but I just don't see how he will emerge as our starting centre after TC... in fact, I'm a bit worried we'll ruin him if he does.

Might be more of a challenge for a centre because they have to recognize the defensive scheme then call the protection based on that. With the extra man on defense that might take him a little longer to be ready mentally, compared to a US guard or tackle coming to the CFL.

Snap the ball, come out of his stance.  The job description won't change at all.  His adjustment will have to come in the form of patience; there will now be another split second before contact that wasn't there previously.  He has to make sure he makes contact with the lineman across from him.  I don't see it being a huge problem, especially if his guards realize that they'll need a high focus on inside-out blocking with a rookie between them.  Lunging at air and falling flat on your face because of a stunt or a swim move will have a humiliating way of teaching him there is a yard that wasn't there before - Zach Anderson might cure him of that impulse by the end of training camp.

Is he ready to call protections at this level?  That might take a while to learn, and hopefully whomever lines up next to him can help out.

Speaking of patience, one of the points that kept coming up in Goossen's scouting report was that he potentially had a higher ceiling than Lavertu, or in other words, if we all have a little patience we might find that we ended up with the better player.  I highly doubt Lavertu vs Goossen will be the deciding factor in whether or not the Bombers are Grey Cup champs in 2014.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Centre isn't always the guy who is the "leader" on the line, recognizing protection and calling out schemes and what not. I believe in the past we've had a G do it. Generally, it's the Centre, but not always...

One thing to keep in mind is that the Centre isn't always the guy who is the "leader" on the line, recognizing protection and calling out schemes and what not. I believe in the past we've had a G do it. Generally, it's the Centre, but not always...

From what I can see, we've pretty much had January doing that these last couple years...  but preferably the Centre does it

I would ease Goossen into Centre but I think we need someone with CFL exp like Morely or a CIS guy like Lavertu - especially with a fairly unproven QB coming in

Interesting decisions ... I don't see how much of it makes sense though.

-- 4 non imports on the offensive line and you still want to gamble with a rookie safety that we drafted as a linebacker? Even if you did want a non-import safety, why not Newman?

-- Hard to believe we wouldn't start Kohlert.

-- You're missing a designated import.

Well...  you seem to forget that I pick guys and then 'over-cheer' for them...  Briggs has been my pick for a long time and I think he has Edem/Butler potential - I just think he wins the job in camp.  Also, not completely sold on Alexander or Bucknor...  

The missing DI is swapping Barnes to start instead of Di...  thjen again, starting Kohlert would allows us to start Jarvis Jones, I am fine with that... however, I think our import talent is better than Kohlert and I like Kohlert.  It would also allow a guy like Tarver to play - honestly, not holding out much hope for Fitzgerald.

Rotating Briggs and Newman into the lineup would be great if it works out...

As a centre his technique is pretty much going to be the same.  He might have to work on adjusting his footwork, but it's nothing that Wylie wouldn't be able to help him with.  

It might be more different if he was going to be playing tackle. 

He'll probably be snapping shotgun about 65 times more a game than he ever has before.  That's a concern.  But I'd prefer him learning to do that than Morley doing it.

The yard off the ball is one too, he'll have to get used to more of a finesse game than just pure head bashing, DL and blitzers have a little more time to read the blocking and make a move, or set him up for a stunt.

Tackles are on an island in American and Canadian football, and the yard off the ball isn't as big of a deal, most edge rushers in American football aren't lining up right on OT's, they either line up a gap wider, a step off the line as basically a LB or both.  The big difference would be the athleticism of the edge rushers between the GNAC and CFL.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Brett Jones, but I have a feeling we'll get a heavy dose of that.

I think i will wait a bit to make my prediction for the roster. I have to see at least a day or 2 of camp first.

I really have no idea what to expect this year, seems we have turned over a significant part of the roster, mostly on defence but...

The Defence is the one that is giving me a hard time coming to my conclusions on who will start and who will back up.

I'm pretty Confident  there will be a few surprise cuts, maybe not so much a surprise really but guys like

Max Hall (lack of arm strength),Will Forde (is he really an every down RB), Aaron Kelly (i'd be pissed if he made the team)

Stephan and Markett on D i think are in trouble. Just think the talent they have brought in at the DB position makes me think one or 2 guys from last season will be gone (not including the guys who were already sent packing) Stephan just can't stay healthy so i don't see him making the roster as LB either.

I could see Denmark being sent packing too, i doubt it... but... seems every year a receiver or 2 or 3 even come in and make it impossible to cut them.

The D, i really have no idea... I have no clue what type of D etch is even gonna be running, its going to be unorthodox tho and not your normal CFL defence so right now, i need to see a few guys in person first

QB - Willy, Hall, Brohm

RB - Ford, Volny* Tarver

FB - Pontbriand*, Fitzgerald*

REC - Moore, Denmark, Watson*, Kohlert*, Urrutia, Feoli-Gudino*, Brescacin*

OL - January, Greaves*, Morley*, Neufeld*, Jones, Goossen*

DL - Vega, Turner, Anderson, Griggs, Lucas*, Thomas* Moseley

LB - Kuale, Wild, Banks, Newman*, Briggs*, Stephan*

DB - Sears, Washington, Suber, Randle, Robertson*, Alexander*, Bucknor*, Jones*, West*

K - Maher

I'd hope we'd be able to find someone better than Will Ford at tailback given an off-season to find some guys.

It's nothing against Ford, just that I don't like that type of back as your featured guy. I prefer someone who can do some harder running if need be. As a backup and change of pace guy I like Ford but as a full time starter it's too inconsistent. 

here's my 44 (at least for Game #1):

STARTER & Backups

QB: WILLY (Hall, Brohm)

OT: JANUARY, J.JONES

OG: GREAVES, PENSER (Morley)

C: KOWALCZUK

RB: GRIGSBY (Volny, FB: Ponbriand, Fitzgerard)

SB: MOORE, DENMARK, WATSON (Brescasin)

WR: URUTTIA, KOHLERT (Feuli-Godino)

DE: VEGA, GATLING (Tate)

DT: BRYANT (Thomas), ANDERSON (Lucas)

WIL: NEWMAN (Stephan)

MAC: KUALE (Wild)

SAM: BANKS (Briggs)

CB: RANDLE (Bucknor), ALEXANDER (D.Jones)

HB: WASHINGTON, SUBER (Robertson)

S: SEARS (Sherman)

KR: Tarver

PK: Maher

Import

Non-Import

Draft Pick

Designated Import