Why would Wally not just wait Desjardins out?

Lotta suspicion that Lulay isn't completely healthy to start the season and the Leos need for a quality back-up is higher than previously thought.

I'm with you on this one.

Wally did not sit back on this one and it's not because he's so cautious about a #2 experienced back up.

He's worried about that shoulder.

If he "waits him out' but Lulay's injury becomes more apparent or he sustains an injury, he has to pay more.  That said, it was the 4th or 5th overall?  That seems pretty high as well.  Was a player included?  I can't remember, it happened so quickly.  My favourite part was just before Glenn was traded, Schultz going on about how professional Glenn was, how he's fine with Burris in Ottawa, and how he'd be a Redblack come summer.  Welllllll....

Buono did wait out Desjardins, and the trade value shot down. If Desjardins doesn't trade out from #1, the value is still probably the same. Marcel knew he had to get back in, and that was his best move. Sure, they miss out on Pruneau, but would have had Lue at #10.

Schultz was notoriously bad this draft and that's saying a lot. Him saying Toronto were the winners of the first round made me want to chuck my milkshake at the TV.

Schultz is insufferable even when he's at his best. When he's not it's just mind blowingly bad. He's the worst kind of person, he's a moron who thinks he's smarter and funny. 

Schultz was notoriously bad this draft and that's saying a lot. Him saying Toronto were the winners of the first round made me want to chuck my milkshake at the TV.

Thank god I only turned in for the first bit on the radio.  Sounds awful.

Ottawa's depth chart is seriously ugly.

I am happy that Aaron Hargreaves will finally get a shot after 7 years though.

Although some seem to think there is no pressure on Burris this year because its an expansion team with low expectations, I think he has a lot to shoulder this year inhow he carries himself as a leader. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds this season.

Ottawa's depth chart is seriously ugly.

I am happy that Aaron Hargreaves will finally get a shot after 7 years though.

Maybe. Having Shologan and quality DB's in Fraser and Pruneau will allow them the flexibility to start 1 Canadian WR if they so choose. They can get by no problem with 7 starters... it is the depth as you mention where they need a little more clarity.

I hope this trade silences some of that Desjardins-is-an-idiot talk that started up when he signed Burris. Turning a backup QB into another first round pick is a pretty sound play for a team that's gonna suck for at least a couple of years.

I don't know much about Antoine Pruneau but if he turns out to be a player then no one will care that Desjardins had to **** Kevin Glenn around for a few months to get him.

From Wally's POV, having Kevin Glenn is all win and is worth the first-round pick. If Lulay isn't ready to go, Glenn is a perfect bridge QB. When Lulay is ready, Wally just has to wait for some team to have a midseason QB emergency and he can send Glenn packing for an inflated price.  If Wally can get a 2015 or 2016 first rounder back for Glenn, then will have paid essentially nothing for Glenn -- and if the 2014 draft was as shallow as people say, Wally's better off having picks in later drafts anyway.

I'm gonna predict that barring another long-term injury to Lulay, Glenn won't finish the season in orange.

I hope this trade silences some of that Desjardins-is-an-idiot talk that started up when he signed Burris. Turning a backup QB into another first round pick is a pretty sound play for a team that's gonna suck for at least a couple of years.

I don't know much about Antoine Pruneau but if he turns out to be a player then no one will care that Desjardins had to **** Kevin Glenn around for a few months to get him.

As it turns out he may get away with the QB glitch, but, in my view, I don't know that what he gained in Burris over Glenn was worthwhile, considering he could have had two FA starters for the money he paid Burris.

But that's an old story.

Desjardins may have got away with it, but then he did trade away a 1st rd. draft pick and the rights to another player for only a roster player, so does that start the talk that-he's-an-idiot on again?

Desjardins may have got away with it, but then he did trade away a 1st rd. draft pick and the rights to another player for only a roster player, so does that start the talk that-he's-an-idiot on again?

Well, Hage was retired and wasn't ever going to play for the redblacks, so I don't think he's much to give up.

I'm definitely not sure about him trading the first overall pick, I think that we'll have to wait for a bit to judge that trade, see how Gott and Lavertu do this season.  Gott is a proven starter and I think only about half of CFL first rounders become starters, so I can see the upside for Ottawa.  I think it's the same kind of thinking that led us to trade a second rounder for Neufeld last season.

Well, Hage was retired and wasn't ever going to play for the redblacks, so I don't think he's much to give up.

I'm definitely not sure about him trading the first overall pick, I think that we'll have to wait for a bit to judge that trade, see how Gott and Lavertu do this season.  Gott is a proven starter and I think only about half of CFL first rounders become starters, so I can see the upside for Ottawa.  I think it's the same kind of thinking that led us to trade a second rounder for Neufeld last season.

Doesn't it make you wonder why Hage would have been even mentioned at all?

A retired player is only a retired player if he is actually….retired.

The value of that 1st pick is certainly worth more than just one player especially if it was Calgary who initiated the move.

And if it was Ottawa… then shame on them.

As it turns out he may get away with the QB glitch, but, in my view, I don't know that what he gained in Burris over Glenn was worthwhile, considering he could have had two FA starters for the money he paid Burris.

But that's an old story.

I wonder who he could have had from the Stamps in the expansion draft if they didn't take Glenn? Would that haul have been more impressive that Pruneau?