7am WBB FC Announcement -- Buck Pierce New RBs Coach

Noeller

Bombers Name Buck Pierce RB Coach

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have brought back a familiar face and fan favourite – former quarterback Buck Pierce. Pierce will join Head Coach Mike O’Shea’s staff in the role of Running Backs Coach.

Pierce retired from the Canadian Football League on Tuesday after nine seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and B.C. Lions, finishing with 15,289 yards, 76 touchdowns, 1,200 completions, and 130 games played.

“Deciding not to play anymore was a difficult decision, but having the opportunity to re-join the Bombers in a coaching role was really a perfect fit. I am thrilled they wanted me to be a part of what I believe will be a great thing here in Winnipeg. I said when I was traded that I hoped one day I would be back in some capacity, andtoday is a really special day for my family and me,” said Pierce.

One of the most popular players to don a Bomber uniform over the past decade, Pierce was traded to the B.C. Lions in September of 2013 after spending close to four seasons in Winnipeg. The Kansas born Pierce became a true Winnipegger throughout that time, laying deep roots in the Manitoba capital, both personally and professionally. He is involved in countless community initiatives including Special Olympics Manitoba, Manitoba Minor Football, Ronald McDonald House, Faces of Freedom, The Dream Factory and United Way after school programs.

“Buck has been through the trenches as a quarterback in this league. He has great experience, and will be a valued asset to our coaching staff,” said Head Coach Mike O’Shea. “He will be able to relate to our players very well, and the ability to add a former CFL quarterback to our staff was important to us. He will be a great teacher to our running backs and a strength to our offensive staff."

“We are very excited to welcome Buck back to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. His dedication to our community, our organization, and passion to be a winner, makes this a great fit for not only our football operations, but our entire organization. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are a better franchise with Buck Pierce a part of it, and I’m very pleased Kyle and Mike were able to bring him on board,” said President and CEO Wade Miller.

I suspect he will get lots of support from the rest of the staff on how to coach.  I also suspect he will get involved with the QBs and the entire offensive game planning.  He was a valuable resource last year when he was injured, he helped Crowton with the offense. 

He'll likely learn the role of a "coach" this year then take over as our QB coach next year.

I'm very glad this is happening. I was concerned when it was reported he had many discussions with teams about coaching but no talks with the Bombers. But it seems Walters rectified that quickly.

I don't know what this position all entails but if it's just a created position to get Buck in on the offensive coaching team to learn and develop, so be it.

@DarrinBauming: Former CFL quarterback, now Calgary #Stamps offensive coordinator Dave Dickenson's first coaching gig was as running backs coach.

@DarrinBauming: Two seasons later, Dickenson was promoted to OC. Fellow former CFL QB Jason Maas' first coaching job was as the #Argos' receivers coach.

I'm very glad this is happening. I was concerned when it was reported he had many discussions with teams about coaching but no talks with the Bombers. But it seems Walters rectified that quickly.

I don't know what this position all entails but if it's just a created position to get Buck in on the offensive coaching team to learn and develop, so be it.

The Bombers were the FIRST team to talk to him, but the media doesn't have any fun if they report it that way. Walters and Buck spoke last week about a coaching position in person.

The Bombers were the FIRST team to talk to him, but the media doesn't have any fun if they report it that way. Walters and Buck spoke last week about a coaching position in person.

Actually Gary Lawless did report that a few days ago.

March 5:  @garylawless: Not sure it goes anywhere but Buck Pierce and Kyle Walters lunched last week. interest on both sides regarding coaching gig #cfl #bn

I'm not a big fan of Lawless' opinion pieces, or him being the Winnipeg rep on TSN, but he is fairly connected and has some good info here and there

Good for him.  Interesting to see if it leads to something bigger later.

I think the ideal scenario would be to see him move to QB coach, then OC and maybe HC some time down the road.... obviously this is completely speculative, he's pretty green in the coaching ranks

Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun reported a few days ago that Buck would not be coaching with the Bombers this season. And if Buck did coach, that it would be with another CFL team.

I'd use that term loosely. He put his own spin on comments made in an interview with Buck and as usual, he was way off.

I like guys like Darrin Bauming and Kirk Penton. I may not always agree with their opinions, but it's still obvious that they actually follow the team and have some pride in their work. Ed Tait and Bob Irving are in that category as well.

I'd put Gary Lawless in a different category. I rarely agree with what he writes and I don't think he's a very good writer (blurs the lines between his job as a columnist and his job as a reporter far too often for my liking) but I still respect him because he puts in a good effort. He's just got a bit too much of an agenda for me.

Guys like Jim Bender, Paul Wiecek and Paul Friesen are just horrible. A quick review of anything they've ever written about the Bombers makes it obvious that they have pretty much zero understanding of anything related to football.

I like guys like Darrin Bauming and Kirk Penton. I may not always agree with their opinions, but it's still obvious that they actually follow the team and have some pride in their work. Ed Tait and Bob Irving are in that category as well.

I'd put Gary Lawless in a different category. I rarely agree with what he writes and I don't think he's a very good writer (blurs the lines between his job as a columnist and his job as a reporter far too often for my liking) but I still respect him because he puts in a good effort. He's just got a bit too much of an agenda for me.

Guys like Jim Bender, Paul Wiecek and Paul Friesen are just horrible. A quick review of anything they've ever written about the Bombers makes it obvious that they have pretty much zero understanding of anything related to football.

I hate Lawless with a burning passion. He hides behind his "I'm a columnist" line for everything.  I'm not really sure how much he actually knows anything about the Bombers, or if he just purposely trolls since that seems to be the way of print journalism nowadays.

I hate Lawless with a burning passion. He hides behind his "I'm a columnist" line for everything.  I'm not really sure how much he actually knows anything about the Bombers, or if he just purposely trolls since that seems to be the way of print journalism nowadays.

I find that I dislike him a lot less during the offseason because he's too focused on the Jets. I'm sure I'll be enraged again come June.